Brand New to GPS Advice

Jproland

FNG
I have a read a lot on this forum on GPS units and I feel a little more confused then before. Never owned a GPS before and looking at the best options for my hunting style and trips.

I try and do one or two trips a year usually mule deer or antelope and elk, first trip is late august into early September and second is late September. DIY public ground backcountry backpacking type hunts, I am starting to go solo as it is hard to find a hunting partner as crazy as I am, as the need for my own GPS unit!

GPS Or Phone

If so what type of GPS and what type of phone software?

Will have a Compass and map that I will always use, but feel I can go further with a GPS to help get me in and out. Looking for marking truck, camp, kill and able to get me back to those points.

xziang

WKR
The hand held 12.00 compass is still very useful. I always have a GPS and if I get a 'bearing' as to where I need to go I'll then just use the compass to lead me in a fairly strait line (if possible) to get to my desired location.

You'll get many opinions on what brand/style to go with and I'll admit I'm partial to the Garmin 62 64. Some people like the touch screens but I am to accustomed to the 62. Me personally I would not rely on my phone, I also don't have or use the new and greatest smart phone either.

GPS is also very useful and gives you peace of mind when you are hiking in the dark.

I have the garmin etrex 20 and love it! The battery life is great and it's perfect for getting from point a to b. I bought mine full price but I have seen the etrex 30 on camofire for really cheap. The only real difference between the 20 and 30 is the 30 has a magnetic compass. It's been very reliable for the last 2 years and also helps me keep good records for whenever I come across new wallows, seeps, glassing spots, ext. I run mine with a onX maps sd card to.

I would also recommend investing in some rechargeable batteries so you can recharge them in your truck between hunts, it's saved me a fortune over the last couple years.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a Garmin map60csx and liked it a lot (62 & 64 are updates so I'm sure they're good also), I went to the Garmin Montana 600, a touch screen, and was not fond of it at first but once I learned how to use it I like it more than my 60. I have found that I rely too much on my gps, if it went out on me before I have learned the terrain I might get lost temporarily. I like to mark my truck and save a route to my campsite. I will save routes the first couple days out hunting and scouting or when going to new areas. I use lithium batteries and they have easily lasted 10 day trips. I always have spare batteries along. I have a gps on my phone but have to charge it at least once at day and that's a problem to me. Recharable batteries for my gps are nice but don't last as long as the lithium. Always have a compass and map and know how to use them, you never know with electronics. But I wouldn't be without a decent GPS.

LaGriz

WKR
LJproland,
I too am in the market for a new unit. Being you often hunt solo, I would recommend you look at the DeLorme In-reach Explorer for both messaging and GPS in one unit. Garmin recently purchased Delorme and I figure an upgraded unit will be out the day after I make my purchase. LOL! Being you are old school with a map and compass at this point in time, the unit will probably be all you will need. From what I have read, other tech-savvy hunters have found the units GPS feature to be lacking. The real plus is the low cost service that can be activated for a month at a time and cut off when not needed. Most attractive is the safety and convenience of texting pre-set (100 to choose from) messages to your family/friends cell phones that are like: "all is good", "missing you", "enjoying the hunt", "Bull Down-need a packer", or "I'm hurt - need help" all on a reliable network that connects you anywhere in the world. You can even get confirmation that the text message you sent was read! Battery life is reportedly decent if you shut the unit off when not in use. If synced with the blue-tooth feature on your smart phone, you can use the phone key board to operate the DeLorme unit. Good luck! LaGriz

Last edited: