Does Colorado have a "correction period" for big game applications?

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I ask because on another forum a person says that CO F&G called him this week to inquire if he wanted to change his non-resident mountain goat choice. His choice on his original 2016 application was valid. Why was he called this week?

In 2015, he had applied for a different goat unit. This year the same unit offered one or more non-resident tags but the printed and online versions of the CO goat proclamation omitted the unit for some reason.

The only way to know how an applicant applied in 2015 was for F&G to access his records using his SSN. Is the application database for prior years open for access?

What about 2016 applicants that did not apply for the unit this year and did not last year. Should they also be called? What if an applicant made an error and listed a unit with no tags this year? Would F&G call? What if someone applied to the unit then the odds get worse than any other unit as F&G prompts applicants to change their choices?

I was not aware CO F&G allows for a correction and in this case a correction was not needed since the applicant selected a valid unit. This is bizarre.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
A lot of questions in there. Did your buddy ask them why they called him? If there was an error in the book this year, then I could see them calling potentially.

Vids

WKR
I heard there was an error in the NR goat units in the book this year, maybe it was a big enough error to prompt them to call all the NR applicants. If they omitted a unit and no one applied for it, that could be reason enough to call all the applicants and make them aware there is another choice available. Who knows...but no, they don't typically call applicants.

bobhunts

WKR
Dittos what Vids said. Read about it tonight on another forum. Seems it will make the goat draw a few days later this year. Good luck! I hope I draw.

They ommitted a unit and called everyone who had applied for that unit last year.

OP
TreeWalking

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
I think this process has opened Fish and Game up for heartburn. Time will tell. The raod to Hell is paved with Good Intentions and F&G may discover that. I drew a tag 2 years ago so no dog in what may become a legal fight since F&G intentionally extended the filing deadline for a very small subset of applicants who had selected valid hunt codes. Allowing a small subset of applicants to change hunt codes from valid codes to another valid code without extending the deadline for all applicants creates an advantage that all other applicants, including the applicants who picked the code in their original application. The motivation could be innocent though in my opinion misguided or it might be an intentional action by a F&G employee so a non-resident they know has the chance to change into a code with perhaps the best odds that goat draw. Sometimes is best to let the chips fall where they may. One thing I am certain of is no F&G employee will be fired for not requiring the approved codes to be double-checked against the 2016 pamphlet prior to it being printed. In the private sector, we tend to be very careful prior to spending $100,000 plus on printing and postage and a screw up this big that was not caught before printing and then no promptly announced as an official correction would be on the streets looking for employment.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What kind of an advantage are you implying that they gained with an extended deadline? The DOW could give me until the day before the drawings and I still would have no advantage over anyone else.

OP
TreeWalking

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of an advantage are you implying that they gained with an extended deadline? The DOW could give me until the day before the drawings and I still would have no advantage over anyone else.

Scenario One) Here is how an advantage would arise. You apply. Phone rings weeks later. "Hey, this is F&G and while your indicated valid choice is perfectly valid would you like to rethink your choice to another valid choice?"

Why are you calling me?

"Well, last year you applied for G12 but this year you did not. Would you like to apply to G12?"

Hmmm, are the odds better than G13?

"Well, G12 was stupidly left out of the goat pamphlet and you have a chance to change you mind though the deadline is past."

Hey, can my Dad change his to G12? He applied for G4 the past couple of years.

"No."

Can I change my application to G4?

"No."

Well, change my application to G12.

Result: Odds go down in G12 and up in G13. A person applying for G12 prior to the stated deadline has no opportunity to switch to G13 which now has seen the odds improve while G12 odds just degraded.

Scenario Two) Someone at F&G intentionally leaves G12 out of the pamphlet. Alerts buddies.

Scenario Three) Someone at F&G reviews applications and notices G12 odds are better vs. last year yet has valid tags to offer. Knows exactly how much better those odds are and the odds of every goat unit prior to the draw including weighted points impact on odds. Selectively decides to call a subset of applicants but does not call some because dislikes certain names or area codes. Only calls during work hours so applicants from other time zones are less likely to answer and be given a chance to change their valid choice to G12.

Rest assured, you will never know and no one will be fired unless someone sues. Not sure what the basis is but the legislature should be pissed that F&G is rewriting how applications are accepted and how only subsets of the application pool was allowed to change their valid choice. No signature was obtained on the revised G12 choice. Deadline was passed. All of the subsequent G12 choices obtained by F&G by calls and any other means were invalid. Now F&G is issuing tags to invalid applications. No signature on the required pager form required to be submitted with a postmark no later than the April deadline. G12 choice was not in effect as postmark made and application was signed. F&G does not get to "wing it" by making up a "fair" resolution to their mistake. The pamphlet is not the official document. The official document is the approved tag listing.

LandYacht

WKR
I'm with 5MB, I don't see the advantage. They aren't telling you the odds, just giving you the opportunity to put in for a hunt code that wasn't available.

I suppose #2 could change the odd, but it sounds like a tin foil hat scenario to me.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk