Unit closure alaska

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, most of you know from previous threads (Thanks for all the help) that we are headed out of bettles on August 24th for a caribou hunt in the brooks range. We have been informed that unit 23 is now closed to hunting. We will have to stay in 26. The transporter is willing to give our deposit back or we can go ahead and hunt in 26. Do you guys think that all the caribou will be gone and by not being able to hunt 23 do you think we should bail out? I've got a lot invested now, but willing to cut my losses.

Thanks!

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Being the first time up there I am torn on what to do.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think plenty of guys will be sitting this year out but who knows if 23 will open next year either. It's going to crowd people up in smaller areas for sure. I flew in 23 last year and our transporter commented the bou had been holding north longer and longer each year. If your guy thinks he can put you on bou in 26 I'd go this year. It's a crap shoot in this scramble but doubt it'll be better next year if 23 is still closed (personally think it will)and more people crowd other herds in the state. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bmrfish

WKR
We are in the same boat. Scheduled out of kotzebue on sept 1-8. Feds say it is a done deal. A couple others are telling me to hold tight for a bit to see if it stands but they also have skin in the game. We can help by contacting decision makers. Too late to go somewhere else. Several people have advised that we can still hunt the limited state lands but that is a low percentage deal. Going early like you are gives you a really good chance that 26 will be good I am told but caribou are goofy critters. Take all this with a grain of salt - it is all second hand info. I am pretty pissed - this was a bucket list hunt for a couple of our guys and they may be too old to wait for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey guys, this is a much larger issue than how or where to find caribou in August on the western side of the Brooks.

Your and my hunting rights have been denied to us as non-local users of a public land and wildlife resource. There is no biological support to justify this closure. This is merely native interests being given priority over non-local hunters because of an anecdotal (with no observational support) threats of hunting impacts.

I hope this event causes you (and me) to get more involved with organizations that are in this fight (and others to come that threaten access to public lands). Although the AK BHA is struggling with membership and traction at the moment, we are an organization that has dialed in to this closure and what it means for the rights of all US hunters (regardless of the color of our skin) to keep our resources available for our children and theirs. Stay tuned and help strengthen the fight.

However, back to your concerns of RIGHT NOW.

Revisit my youtube vid that shows exiting GMU 23 (now closed) into GMU 26A for an epic river float and potential caribou hunt. This trip took place August 6-19....

That also suggests an example of herd whereabouts on the northern edge of GMU 23.

If I were you, I would do this hunt and video your adventure. Bring that footage back to me and the good stuff can be used to prove the current status of this herd and the effects of this closure otherwise.

I'm putting together a documentary-style delivery of this specific issue, and the more lateral support I have for ammo the better the outcome when I drop it on Murkowski's lap.

Take Away Points:

1. Your air charter and any business you support along your journey will lose a collective mountain of cashflow and operational costs. The total loss of this economic structure to small businesses will be around $400,000 collectively for 2016 alone. My business will lose $30K alone if my hunters have to cancel. If you dont hunt, it becomes a Lose/Lose scenario.

2. Your absence will make the Native organizations happy and satisfied with their approach and use this as a precident for future claims to public resources. It's a win/lose in their favor

3. Your air charter should still find caribou, but you'll fly farther and have to adjust your Plan A to make it happen. Take an HD video camera and do a full documentary on your experience. Show it all, and lets bust the ****ing top off the arguments that allowed this closure. This becomes a Win/Win/Win scenario if we can connect everyone with solutions with facts.

Perpetuating actions that result in the loss of hunting rights and adventure landscape should be a fight we engage because it threatens access for our kids and grand kids. If my two rug rats lose the ability to see the Northwest landscape at midnight on an early august day while hunting caribou and fishing for char and absorbing the personal growth opportunities....I will be one sad and pissed off father and hunter.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Larry

VernAK

WKR
Larry,
Thanks for posting as this is a huge issue. The Feds own 2/3 of the land in Alaska and this administration has intensified their assault on those of us that use the Back Country. We as Alaskans are few in number and need the voice/vote/$$ of all Back Country users to protect us from these most egregious acts to lock up our resources for the pleasure of a few.
V8n

Ray

WKR
Think what it would be like if the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act had created "indian land" rather than corporation held land?

You know, reservations.

Well, it appears that the corporations are going to use the federal land management system to create defacto reservations. Ahtna, Inc. has already tried this through Alaskan Congressman For Life, Don Young, in Unit 13. It appears that the folks in Unit 23 have exploited the land management system already in place rather than try to make new laws.

swmoelk

FNG
Larry you're absolutely right. This has impacted not only guys going to 23 but all of us hunters. The biological numbers being put out up there make it quite clear that non residents aren't hurting the herd at all. It would seem the subsistence hunting would hurt them worse than anything because the locals kill them in the same spot at the same time every year so eventually the caribou have to catch on and switch it up a little. Also there's no telling how many actually get harvested by subsistence users.

I know there's been a lot of bad press for hunters in Kotz through the years but I was under the assumption that everything was getting smoothed out up there. Just goes to show you that we as a group are being watched all the time wether we realize it or not. It's one thing to fight against the anti hunting agenda but when it's other hunters on the attack it makes us all look bad.

On the federal lands part of this situation I don't understand how Alaskan residents can get Federal land shutdown for citizens of the USA. Now if they want to shut off Alaskan owned lands to non-Alaskans then thats there deal. I'm going to bet that us non resident sportsmen put a lot more cash into those federal lands than anyone getting to hunt them.

Why not just close of the areas closer to civilization out there? Change some seasons around do something else besides just shutting the door. I don't hunt 23 and haven't planned on it but what is this going to do to the pressure and the herds in 25&26?

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The reason it's possible for federal public lands to be closed to non-locals hunters (residents and non residents) is due to the provisions of ANILCA (1980 congressional law). In that process a Federal Subsistence Board was established, which has 5 seats (2 of which are native chairs and the rest state and federal positions. There is currently no voice (per se) for non-local sport and subsistence users.

The FSB uses the state's Constitution to close any public lands to hunting and fishing to protect the traditional use of local subsistence of game and fish. In this case, the first user group easily controlled is non-local residents and non-resident hunters (600-800 caribou harvests annually). Subsistence harvests are thought to be 1600-2000 caribou per year.

So, this comes down to a perceived anecdotal reality with NO observational proof of said user conflicts nor the proof of caribou being affected by aircraft traffic and hunter presence along the migration routes of this herd.

It's a slightly skewed system that was written when the state had roughly 60% of its current population...times are changing and management decisions are still being exploited by local advisory groups.

It's the Regional Advisory Councils and Working Groups that make recommendations to the Boar of Game and the FSB, which are supposed to be based on scientific analysis and not merely "he said, she said" proof of issues.

In this case, there is ZERO biological data to support the closer. It was a perceived user conflict with enough traction to affect the decision of the FSB to close federal public lands in UNIT 23.

swmoelk

FNG
Seems like SCI or some other organizations need to step up and help out . What can we do as Non residents to help out with things like this?

Thanks for explaining that for me Larry. I've read your book on the caribou herds it's seems like you have a good grasp on the herds up there.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The best thing you can do at this point is join an org that has a focus on this issue. I'm becoming more involved in BHA Alaska Chapter to establish our voice on these key issues.

The best call to action I can suggest is to join the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers organization to show strength in numbers, and follow me and my team through this Alaska-specific issue. I'm headed to that region in July and August to film, and by next spring we will share what we found.

Larry

Burke

FNG
Well, after quite a bit of debate and thought (almost threw in the towel), I have found another pilot in another hunting unit for my group. It was and will most likely be the only time my relatives will get the opportunity (at least for my older cousin, hope not, but must be realistic). It was by the skin of the teeth and from a limited choice. It is unfortunate, but I have a bit less optimistic feeling that I hope to turn around before long.

I agree with most that we can do what we can do, letters, join forces etc.

I am curious how others folks with this dilemma are working it out??? Getting deposits, rescheduling, or going elsewhere etc.

Larry, I will keep my eyes out for what you share...

bmrfish

WKR
Burke, we are waiting to make a decision on the off chance that the closure is reversed. Too late to get in elsewhere on a float for our large party. I think we are going to be left with some not very good choices. A couple of our guys will likely never have another chance at this.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I disagree Bmrfish. Though there's a only about 4.5 million acres of stateland in that region, the entire GMU 26A is open to your group.

I know your pilot will do what he can to make sure you guys have a successful trip. Just keep an open mind and be open to roll with changes beyond your initial expectations. Stay Flexible and be positive.

larry

bmrfish

WKR
Fair enough Larry, you are the man and we know we have a great pilot. The boys have been fully apprised of the situation and are still all in. We will have a great time regardless.

Burke

FNG
bmrfish, Well I did find a pilot in another hunt unit...we are going to make the best of it. You might get lucky if you look around too...or as Larry said, you may get your pilot to fly into another unit.
I had asked my pilot if he would take us outside the closed hunting unit or if he would be relocating his service to another area. He never responded...so far anyhow.

Larry, I was afraid that by flying into unit 26, which is further north, we would miss the migration because the dates are a little later in the season. Your thoughts on that???

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well, that's a tricky theory to weigh in on, because caribou move like ants on mopeds across a vast terrain swathe.

IMO, I've started seeing caribou from the central GMU 26A (around Killik and west to Nigu) around early August (1-12th) and then a slow but steady movement of tens of thousands of animals moving westward and southwestern through August, to a point that changes depending on weather (warmth) and habitat conditions.

Usual expectations for that herd might be Howard Pass region the first week of August (border of 26A and 23) all the way west to the Wulik by September 7th or so. The bulk of the herd will be out of reach by aircraft, so floats can get you through some country.

But the southern border is the real shit storm because of the 23/26A frindge where pilots will need to concentrate on herd whereabouts.

So, you can see there is a large chunk of landscape that caribou might be...so it becomes a question of where they are the week you'll be there, and that's where your moneys start to payoff...your pilot's knowledge and prowess on the lakes, tundra and gravel.

bmrfish

WKR
Still a glimmer of hope. State has asked subsistence board for reconsideration. Article on it in today's anchorage daIly news