Unit closure alaska

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
yes sir. Hopefully the FSB will reconsider the total impact of their decision.

If not, it would be a great time for the state to challenge the fed's on management of land and wildlife below mean high water like the rest of the Contiguous states.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys for all the responses and the good conversation we have going here. Been meaning to respond, but haven't been able to post with my phone for some reason.

We are going to stick to our original dates of August 23rd and pray we can get it done with Brooks Range Aviation. All of our tickets with wrights air and Delta are set in stone so we are just going to roll with it. I am hoping it works out because more than likely this will be our only trip up there. Elk preferences are building again to where we will start to draw those units here in the states.

I hope they open it up for hunting again, but also hope we don't need that unit.

thanks for all the replys

bmrfish

WKR
State has requested a do over and the federal subsistence board has scheduled public meetings for July 19, 20 & 25. Where there is lead in the air there's hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll be at the first meeting July 19th in Kotz.

I plan to video tape my testimony on behalf of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Alaska Chapter, and we'll get it posted online ASAP via Youtube.

I'll post a link here when its done.

larry

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'll be at the first meeting July 19th in Kotz.

I plan to video tape my testimony on behalf of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Alaska Chapter, and we'll get it posted online ASAP via Youtube.

I'll post a link here when its done.

larry

Thanks for going Larry and speaking!!! Its a shame whats happened there and if it isn't reversed, it will only transpire in other places throughout Alaska as the precedence will have been set.

bmrfish

WKR
That's outstanding Larry, you are the man

VernAK

WKR
Larry does a great job of representing hunters in Alaska! Thanks Larry!

It's difficult to find something that the Feds haven't screwed up lately and this is a prime example of bias on the part of the Feds.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
crap...whats worst is just found out that video cameras aren't allowed at these meetings, so there goes that plan.

Regardless, know that this issue is important and I'll stand up for all non-local Alaska hunters on this matter.

LB

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Larry! We appreciate what you are doing and have done!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
you bet. Luke is right, precedence setting with one area opens up the light bulb for other opportunities where subsistence and non-subsistence preferences are illegally skewed.

I'm not at all excited about getting involved to perfectly honest, but once my guard hairs raise...well, it's forward defensive.

more later

Lb

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Larry! Hunted out of kotzebue last year shame on them for side stepping true conversation and seeking private interests. Guess the presidents visit gave them the right to by pass all other steps and take federal ground for only thier personal use

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a way for Non Residents to participate in the conversation without being present at the meeting?

Can I write a letter?

Or an affidavit giving you my time on the floor?

This is horrible, I cannot believe that it was not only entertained but passed in the first place. There is no way the people who passed this have ever been into that country. I would be shocked if there was one documented instance of a sport hunter affecting a subsistence hunters ability to harvest meat.

If there ever was a conflict it was simply because restrictions caused everyone to be stuck landing on certain gravel bars.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Absolutely Capra. The below list of Public Meetings are by date, time and location. They are not convenient for residents to attend either.

Keep in mind that your teleconference recording will be entered into the official minutes of the meeting and considered by the same weight as anyone who shows up in person.

So, political strategy for strength in numbers means that multiple non-local hunters should voice their opinions at each public meeting.

Anyone else who values public land opportunities in Alaska and who are interested in this precedence should also do the same

Kotzebue

3:00-6:00 p.m.; July 19, 2016
Northwest Arctic Borough Assembly Chambers
163 Lagoon Street, Kotzebue, Alaska
Teleconference: TOLL FREE (877) 638-8165
Passcode: 9060609

Nome
3:00-6:00 p.m.; July 20, 2016
Aurora Inn Conference Room
302 Front Street, Nome, Alaska
Teleconference: TOLL FREE (866) 820-9854
Passcode: 4801802

Barrow

7:00-9:00 p.m.; July 25, 2016
Inupiat Heritage Center
5421 North Star Street, Barrow, Alaska
Teleconference: TOLL FREE (866) 864-5314
Passcode: 3091862

KJH

WKR
Larry,

I listened to your public comments on KOTZ AM streaming live because the conference lines were unusable so I gave up. I too intended to give a comment. I feel so strongly about this issue. I agree that your statement about social and hunan relations is the problem, not the mnagement of the herd. Shifting migration patterns and difficulty to hunt the animals is their real concern.

I'm glad you were able to attend in person, and would love to speak with you over the phone about it sometime.

The FSB is a politacally correct board with powers that transcend the conservation and management to remedy the human relations problems with extreme bias. Closure of federal lands is a dangerous slope to be on.

I too am a 12 year Army Veteran, ethical, conservation minded and a responsible hunter. Hunting is also part of my way of life. Wanton waste is not somethings that exists on any hunt I've been on for WACH caribou, not is it the problem as Mr. Samson seems to believe.

I feel the pain of the local subsistence hunter, and have forged friendships with several in the native population. But the waste and disrespect of the resource was norm for some of these local friends. Us non-locals have been better for respecting the animals and resources.

Its more of a social issue.

bmrfish

WKR
Listened and testified at the Nome meeting. Testifiers 6-2 in favor of reopening. Strong testimony in support from ADFG.

OP
thnksno

thnksno

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys again for your help and dedication on this subject!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Only 3 voices on behalf of the non-local hunter were provided at this meeting: myself in person, Kyle Hilderbrand (NE), and Andrew Cook (MN).

Also heard was Rod Arno (AOC) and Mark Richards (RHAK)

this youtube video is a snapshot of my part. I spoke for myself as a hunter in support of equal access for hunting caribou on federal public lands in Alaska. Since I have not yet been voted in as Executive Director of the Alaska Chapter Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, I chose to speak on behalf of all non-local hunters who want rights to harvest caribou in GMU 23 on federal public lands.

[video=youtube;stFFPKMcHVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFFPKMcHVo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Please remember to speak your voice about this important precedent setting issue surrounding WSA16-01.

The last chance for public comment will be on July 25th (Barrow public meeting). Do it guys, its important, and I cant fight this fight alone. We need support.

This meeting cost me $2600, which covered travel, food and lodging from Fairbanks to Kotzebue for two people (myself and cameraman). These are examples of why member support is so crucial for the Alaska Chapter BHA. The state is HUGE and logistics are extremely spendy. I will never make a habit of asking for financial support...but in this case we need membership to help us continue to fight for issues that you care about as hunters on public lands in Alaska.

Larry Bartlett
alaska bha at Backcountry Hunters and Anglers