Best KUIU setup for Elk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sale usually starts at midnight pst. so put what you want in your cart or wish list the day before. Then refresh the cart at 12:02a.m. thurs. If you haven't yet make your account and add in all your shipping & payment info to speed up the check out.

Any brand is an investment but you can use it outside of hunting and it will last. Just follow cleaning instructions. I take no responsibility for this but I put my guide jacket in the dryer with no heat just air and two clean tennis balls for about 20 mins and its a lot softer, wears more like a heavy shirt now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know why this didn't cross my mind. But, I live 45 mins from Kuiu. But, wouldn't be able to get out there until the weekend, which means I'd miss the sale.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
call in sick to work. I spent 2 hours at kifaru on a lunch break

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
call in sick to work. I spent 2 hours at kifaru on a lunch break

Nice! Damn, I am loving all of Aron Snyder's podcasts and write-ups. Learned so much from here in this short amount of time.

I have a mix of stuff but for my kuiu arsenal...

Attack or tiburon pants.
145 long sleeve Merino top
Guide vest
merino gloves
Tiburon gloves layered on top if necessary
neck gaitor
Icon 5200
Chinook jacket-gift. still haven't figured out how to put this in my setup. Maybe ditch the fleece I wear on the way up the hill.
I have a couple of 125 long sleeve tops and a 210 that I got for xmas that I'll have along this year.

As far as pattern, I use both and solids. Mix and match. I don't care what I look like.

Non Kuiu stuff.
Cheap columbia fleece
Icebreaker long johns....don't use much. Hate lower base layers
Prana Zion pants....I wear these all the time. I need more than 1 pair. They are fantastic.
Cheap sam's stetch hiking pants,like $20 per pair. Kind of noisy but really durable and comfortable.
Smart wool Hiking socks...medium padding I think.
I have a bunch of older russell apx g2 stuff I take with, but only good for one day as they really start to stink.
Also a scentlok pullover that i like because it is comfortable.

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Alright, less than 3 hours from the KUIU sale starting, here is what is in my cart ready for purchase. This will be my first set of hunting clothes :)

1. Kuiu Guide Jacket (Verde)
2. Kuiu Guide Pants (Verde)
3. Kuiu Attach Pants (Phantom)
4. Kuiu Kenai Jacket hoodless (Graphite)
5. Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Long sleeve (Stone & Brindle)
6. Kuiu Ultra Merino crew sock (Brindle)

I left out gloves and a bino case. Haven't decided on those yet.

Also, I was a bit indecisive between the Kenai Jacket and super down vest. I went with the Kenai, but I will probably add some kind of vest to my arsenal as a backup/emergency. Also, the only thing I am worried about is if the medium Kenai will fit under my medium Guide jacket.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alright, less than 3 hours from the KUIU sale starting, here is what is in my cart ready for purchase. This will be my first set of hunting clothes :)

1. Kuiu Guide Jacket (Verde)
2. Kuiu Guide Pants (Verde)
3. Kuiu Attach Pants (Phantom)
4. Kuiu Kenai Jacket hoodless (Graphite)
5. Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 Long sleeve (Stone & Brindle)
6. Kuiu Ultra Merino crew sock (Brindle)

I left out gloves and a bino case. Haven't decided on those yet.

Also, I was a bit indecisive between the Kenai Jacket and super down vest. I went with the Kenai, but I will probably add some kind of vest to my arsenal as a backup/emergency. Also, the only thing I am worried about is if the medium Kenai will fit under my medium Guide jacket.
what is your height and weight? you might be in-between sizes.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
medium for sure, I'm 6'2 170 and medium is a hair short but large is about two hairs too long. I go large with outer and medium with mid and base layers. Kenai stretches making soooo comfortable compared to superdown

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
Well that was fast. My Kuiu shipment came in today. I know I only live 45 mins away, but figured it would still take 3 or so days, not 1.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that was fast. My Kuiu shipment came in today. I know I only live 45 mins away, but figured it would still take 3 or so days, not 1.
wow! it just started yesterday right?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
also which pattern do you guys like?
Like them equally. People I know say the verde has an edge if hunting something with good eye sight like turkey.

Aventus

Lil-Rokslider
wow! it just started yesterday right?

Ya, I stayed up late wednesday and submitted my order once it his midnight just to play it safe. So that means they put together my order thursday morning, sent it out probably that morning and then received it 9:24 am today.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
anyone know if the kenai hooded jacket has a removable hood?looks like there is a zipper there but cant see it in the back

was thinking about maybe getting the kenai and a superdown jacket to wear underneath?
or should i get the guide jacket and the superdown? the superdown would prob be taken for any cold snaps not sure how much i would use it
or ditch the superdown and get a sitka traverse hoody? that thing looks pretty warm

Brendan

WKR
anyone know if the kenai hooded jacket has a removable hood?looks like there is a zipper there but cant see it in the back

was thinking about maybe getting the kenai and a superdown jacket to wear underneath?
or should i get the guide jacket and the superdown? the superdown would prob be taken for any cold snaps not sure how much i would use it
or ditch the superdown and get a sitka traverse hoody? that thing looks pretty warm

Kenai hood is not removable. Kenai is an insulating layer primarily - I wouldn't see any reason to wear it along with the superdown, I'd layer under a rain shell or a jacket like the Guide if you want to go softshell. I have the Kenai, love it, but if I get a warmer puffy it will be the Kifaru LPP.

MT_Wyatt

WKR

The Kenai arms are very, very form fitting, so down underneath would get compressed. I'd pick one or the other between the Kenai or SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
big10hunter
What about the guide jacket vs the yukon rain jacket. Can the yukon be worn as an everyday jacket?

Also, what about teh guide pant as an everyday wear? Is it too warm for colorado in sept?