sleeping bag degree rating

Thanks for the info guys. I sleep in a hammock, so, I will be totally off the ground. I've taken my 40 degree 3/4 length under quilt and 32 degree bag down into the mid 20s with no problem. I have a set of full length 20 degree quilts with an extra ounce of 900fp down that I haven't tried yet. They should easily get me down to 10 degrees or so. If I wore some insulating clothes, I'm sure I could take them even farther.

I used to work at a ski resort standing outside for hours on end, so the cold weather doesn't bother me much. I'd rather it be cold than hot.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
you'll have no trouble finding trees at 10k ft in the lower 48 for the hammock, at 11k ft they'll be more like bushes but you could still make it work if you find the right spot. At 12k ft there won't be anything to set that up, unless you bring rock climbing equipment. I'm not a hammock guy so there may be some details I'm missing, but vegetation other than grass and pine tree trip hazard type bushes is pretty much all there is above 11k ft.

A pad with a high R rating is always a solid investment. My EXPED UL9LW is rated 6 and the only pad I take into the high country. Your bag choice is only half the equation.

blackovis

Lil-Rokslider
For that time of year, I run with the Big Agnes Lost Ranger which is a 15° bag. I also use the Insulated Double Z pad that helps keep the warmth. That's a hard time of year to judge so I always prepare for lower temps.

On a hammock, the Big Agnes system is really nice because there is a sleeve in the sleeping bag that the pad slips into. That way you're not trying to find your pad all night long.

http://www.blackovis.com/big-agnes-lost-ranger-sleeping-bag