sudden need for a spotter, where to start?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to the co backdoor my father in law drew 3rd season bull unit 851 took 20 points and at his age he won't draw this again. We need a lot of scouting and a good spotter. I'm not knowledgeable on the optics lingo. Main needs would be excellent clarity, overall quality. No idea what zoom or field of view to look for. From what I see on Google earth the area is fairly open with rolling hills. Also most of it walk in only so trucking around won't get us far.
Cost isn't much of an issue as there will be 3 of us chipping in.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Figure out if you want a straight or angled, sitdown behind both, if possible, for a while and see which is most comfortable . Then I would buy a quality used one on a forum like this or someplace else. That way if you decide you don't want it you can resell it and not lose a bundle. A 65 Swarovski is a very good place to start looking, resale is good. If money is no problem and you're going to want to keep it the Swarovski STX/ATX is a good option.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, not buying the most expensive because I can just willing spend what need to. Used is great idea

Shrek

WKR
Best glass for the dollar is the Meopta S2 82mm and the 30-60 wide angle eyepiece gives a fantastic view. The Swarovski ATX 85 or 95 will give the best performance you can buy. The Meopta isn't far behind the ATX and it's a bargain IMO. Hard to find a used deal on either of them but if you call Doug at cameraland he might have a demo or a deal. An angled is far easier to use once you get used to finding things and how to use it by turning it in its ring. The thought of a straight scope makes my neck hurt.

If you are willing to buy them outright then a 65mm Swaro would be my first choice. I prefer the straight eyepiece because it is quick to get on target. Another good option is the Vortex Razor HD 16-48x65 and they have decent resale.

But-- You might be best off hitting up optics4rent and renting a spotter and some 15x binos. I LOVE 15x binos and mounted on the tripod I barely used a spotter unless you are getting down to counting inches for score.

Good luck on the once in a lifetime hunt!

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another thing to remember, even a good spotter can be frustrating without a decent tripod and head. More money.
very good point! I may start a new thread when I get that far

WRO

WKR
I'd take big glasses over a spotter. The spotters are awesome for judging issues, but big binos rule for finding bulls.

brewer427

WKR
Best glass for the dollar is the Meopta S2 82mm and the 30-60 wide angle eyepiece gives a fantastic view. The Swarovski ATX 85 or 95 will give the best performance you can buy. The Meopta isn't far behind the ATX and it's a bargain IMO. Hard to find a used deal on either of them but if you call Doug at cameraland he might have a demo or a deal. An angled is far easier to use once you get used to finding things and how to use it by turning it in its ring. The thought of a straight scope makes my neck hurt.
X2, I had bought a Swaro ATS with a 25-50 eyepiece and liked it a lot, but got a chance to look through the Meopta S2 and after that I sold the Swarovski and got a brand new S2 with the 30-60wa off eBay for $1600. Shrek is right ATX is top of the line but the Meopta is right on its heels for overall performance IMO. I don't know how long you can wait before needing the spotter but every now and then a S2 pops up on here or eBay for a good price. There warranty is also fully transferable and know questions asked. Haven't had to use it personally, but have heard nothing but good about there warranty. Just my 2cents

fatrascal

WKR
Once you get your spotter your gonna want to spend some time using it looking for animals before the hunt. Some people can have the best optics in the world but can be out spotted by an experienced person who might be using a coke bottle. Practice will go a long ways.
I'm a Swarovski man myself but you said you only want what is needed to get you by. Look at Vortex spotters. The Razor by Vortex are good enough to get you by. If that is out of your price range then look at Vortex's cheaper lines. Also Leupold has some good options as well as many others name brands. fatrascal.