Polar Bear Attacks Hunter

Hokkaido

Banned
I've found a story regarding a bear hunter (assumed) in the arctic who was attacked. There are some very, very graphic pictures, which I'm not sure are appropriate to post? The man survived and eventually killed the bear but lost a major portion of his face. Does anyone know more of this story? I searched here but was unable to find anything.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't seen the after product but from what I hear, the plastics surgeons deserve a medal. From looking at the pictures you would think it would be irreparable but it gloved his face which allowed the surgeons to reattach the skin. The bear soaked up a huge amount of lead and kept trucking down the hill dragging him. Apparently he was cool as could be, the picture of him on the snowmachine next to the bear was his request.

Cledus

WKR
Not a polar bear, but rather a grizzly. AKTroutBum(?) knows of the guy, and a few others on here witnessed the after-attack. Pretty crazy pics.

• Banned
OP
H

Hokkaido

Banned
Just incredible. What a badass.
So the face injury was not from a bite rather a swipe/clubbing? I saw this set of tracks the other day while picking up cams.
View attachment 36979
Then later the same day watched The Reverent for the first time. Messed with my head.

colonel00

WKR
Saw this the other day. The "after surgery" photos are absolutely amazing for just a couple months after the injuries occurred. I'll see if I can find them.

The bear did not soak up a bunch of lead before it mauled him.

There is a bunch of misinformation out there concerning this mauling.

Just be thankful he is alive, and thankful for the amazing job the surgeons did in putting him back together.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
The bear did not soak up a bunch of lead before it mauled him.

There is a bunch of misinformation out there concerning this mauling.

Just be thankful he is alive, and thankful for the amazing job the surgeons did in putting him back together.

Thanks for the insight. Bear tales seem to grow fast. Even the one I thorned recently seemed to catch fire locally. Was pretty funny.

OP
H

Hokkaido

Banned
Sldmtn..I hope things worked out well for you?
I was able to find an after pic
View attachment 37024
Looking lots better. I read some stuff on ar15. Sounds like his hunting partner might have been his son. The bear somehow ended up very close to the the snow machine.. Somehow dragged him, Glenn Bonn, away while being shot to hell with a 44, which didn't have desired effects. The bear soaked up much lead from the 44 and was eventually killed. Friends and family went out the next day and retrieved the dead bear. Some of this was verified by Bohn's cousin who is member on ar15.
But that's just some stuff and I read on the Internet.

Last edited:
For the record, it was a 454 Casull, not a 44. I know, splitting hair's, but just goes to show how stories "evolve" as told. The son shot the bear off the top of his dad, 5 shots. Third one point blank into the skull was the killing shot.

OP
H

Hokkaido

Banned
Also read that they had shot a bear out or around its den and when approaching it another bear flew out the same den and attacked Glenn?
Ok, 454. Damn you'd think that would do the job. Yowsers!
Well wait a minute, I guess it did do the job. Glenn is alive and we're thankful of that. Glenn used to guide on Kodak (maybe other places as well), guided my father in fact.

Also read that they had shot a bear out or around its den and when approaching it another bear flew out the same den and attacked Glenn?
Ok, 454. Damn you'd think that would do the job. Yowsers!
Well wait a minute, I guess it did do the job. Glenn is alive and we're thankful of that. Glenn used to guide on Kodak (maybe other places as well), guided my father in fact.

Only one bear, but yes, it did fly out of a den.