DeLorme inReach

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I am thinking about picking one up this year. Does anyone use them? Is the orange one or the yellow better? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I use the orange one quite a bit since it has a gps, the app they have is nice for navigating to marked waypoints. It also will keep track of how far you've gone, etc.

They're great, as long as you are bringing a smart phone with, otherwise doing anything the the actual keys on the unit can be a pain.

Retterath

WKR
i used mine last year in wyoming for 14 days and it worked great. You can text anyone u want to with it and they can text u back but remember when they get a text from you the delorme will give them exact coordinates of where u are at. You set up an account on delorme and after your trip you can track where you have been. Its pretty handy. The texting on it can be slow because its llike old school texting. Well worth the buy

AdamW

WKR
I've been looking at these more lately. I have a Gen 2 SPOT that I let the service plan expire on. I like the idea of the InReach a lot more but being from the midwest I don't know how much use I would get out of an InReach for the price and service plan. Really dig the features.

Hike2hunt

FNG
Garmin recently bought Delorme. When I was at the Portland Sportsmen Show back in Feb, the Garmin rep and I were discussing this, and they commented on some cool stuff coming out.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have the SE(yellow) and it works great for what I do,it was the best piece of equipment I bought last year.

Last edited:
I hunt remote up here in Alaska.
Last year on Father's Day my wife bought me the yellow one.
We love it. I've got the smartphone app and use the keyboard on my iPhone.
I will say this much.
There can be a little too much information. Last year when I killed my goat and informed her that I had to sleep on the mountain at the kill site, she seen it on satellite images. It freaked her out! I was sleeping in a goat bed between two cliffs.
And that's what got my solo goat hunting privileges taken away:(

colersu22

WKR
If you're gonna get one you will never find a better deal than at REI right now.

I have been eying them the last couple days at REI with this sale but cant figure out what the difference is between the yellow and orange models. Anyone care to share what the difference is?

Thanks,

Chris

Brendan

WKR
If you're gonna get one you will never find a better deal than at REI right now.

And you can return it for a year if you don't like it.

I have the Inreach SE (Yellow) because I don't like the GPS/Navigation functionality the explorer (orange) has built in compared to my Garmin units. The SE isn't used as a standalone GPS / navigation - just tracking, communication, emergency beacon.

If Garmin comes out with a really good integrated unit in the future - I'll upgrade as I have an Epix and a Montana 650 that I use fairly heavily.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have been eying them the last couple days at REI with this sale but cant figure out what the difference is between the yellow and orange models. Anyone care to share what the difference is?

Thanks,

Chris

The yellow is the SE, and the orange is the Explorer. Both can text alone, or with the use of a smart phone. I recommend using your phone because it's much easier. The SE requires a smart phone if you want to use the navigation features, and the Explorer can do it without. I have used the yellow InReach SE for a couple years now with great results. They also have great customer service.

colonel00

WKR
I have the SE and love it. I agree that the extra features of the Explorer just weren't enough to get me to bite. I recently took the SE on the packraft rondy in Alaska and here is an example of the tracking in action.

PRMjpWaoxJ3o7pDrnrBwhXYahVpUwVdPpXS2G2mQIJEtpzAxpsVIQKDQ5X6_VScYZllVSCTfCg_KSuwmVX7RApKhX7-BA-wom8rljCl3nxNas3XZMvxZb9E4pXNVJrW_sy694woLhaFxkDy5IGHI76-drCyEaN_nrRZ9oA3PCd98lnY39xfOAjAtzCzflVkpxf5VZ-zS8jw7N8HDiN4qTDrFAQiWKOJBnG1ET9T19izRciBt2xQDVn3k-7qrYb1vHvD5FzbqtrjpVCbZ82BrXVfV1avsNSbtEJrwHrGsba9iYpu9u_bgjSRvLeM3qaEJ4Fwrb-jIws8l3fDc-4ejwzPP62sA26yDomHf5AuzZzhpDXxtwlU9OUU5pV1Wx0wKedeBYZckBYdlhFV_E2VKRWrhypc88m7sUO_PXEYRpU-6oi3Sozyfz5xDFwePgljmUjnHFEVftLfgC9VfampAhCMl0XDabyo4rn2lMSfHF4MpzHJbd-IlVD1shOZAlDgjoTxieRHQXXPkONV-zkHH5PvZhzUNSfiulJ6Mk1u1SR31dR18TfU2alvAOPz2tozC2wYYZUrx8YouE64qLxk7iD6g14RFJJ17=w999-h721-no

Ruskin

WKR
The inReach has my interests. Last season I carried a rented sat phone along with a SPOT. I like the simplicity of the SPOT, but loved ones required I have better comms, thus a sat phone. I think the ability for 2way text would satisfy all.

For those that use this, how did you find the reliability of the inReach text?

Would it work to have 2 inreach units for hunter to hunter comms?

OP
Vector32

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I was dead set on the orange one but I think the yellow one might be a better option for me. I have a Gramin with the OnXmaps chip that I like.

IdahoElk

WKR
The inReach has my interests. Last season I carried a rented sat phone along with a SPOT. I like the simplicity of the SPOT, but loved ones required I have better comms, thus a sat phone. I think the ability for 2way text would satisfy all.

I've never had an issue texting out,a audible beep confirms message got sent which is nice.
Not sure about hunter to hunter?

colonel00

WKR

The texts have worked great for me. Granted, I haven't used them a ton but I was able to reliably communicate on the north slope of Alaska 50 miles from Prudhoe Bay as well as other places in the Lower 48. As long as it has a view of the sky, it should work. I was even able to send messages while on an airliner.

Has anyone had any experience with their customer service staff? Opinions?

Perhaps its a good reflection of the Delorme product and services but I have yet to have a need to contact their customer service.

xziang

WKR
I jumped on the REI sale and purchased the explorer. Now I'm researching which plans to go with. Keep in mind after you purchase one you will still need to purchase a monthly plan. There is a plan where you can suspend it from some quick research.

I still need to do more investigation on the plans.

colonel00

WKR
You are correct on the plans. Essentially there are two types. One is a yearly subscription and the other is monthly (with a yearly one time fee). Since I don't use mine all year, it makes more sense for me to pay the $25 yearly fee and I usually do the $35/mo plan that allows for 40 messages. Then, I just suspend the account for months that I don't need the service.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php