Best non custom mountain rifle

If you had to pick one non custom rifle for mountain hunting what would it be and why?

That's easy! I'd take my M77 7mag cuz I hit what I aim at with it. It's almost too easy thus my reason for becoming a bow hunter:)

Mckinnon

WKR
RidgeRunner, when you say non-custom I take you mean no aftermarket upgrades of stock, triggers, fluting, etc. Correct?

OP
Ridgerunner
Some upgrades would be ok, like trigger or fluting, just not a major upgrade like only pulling the action out of the gun.

Whisky

WKR
Sako 85 Finnlight is another to consider. Great accuracy, and a dang nice adjustable trigger right out of the box. The stock leaves a little to be desired, but a MCM Edge Sako Classic would surely fix that.

JLF

FNG
At the risk of having an unpopular favorite. I would choose the Blaser R8 Professional. And if force me to choose on caliber, it would be the 6.5x55 Swede.
The Blaser R8 Pro is advantageous for the following reasons:
Very accurate - for the life of me I can't shoot anything worse than 1/2 MOA with this stick.
Trigger - Trigger breaks crisply (single-stage) at 1.9 lbs
Fast - The straight pull bolt operation allows me to get back on quicker than a lift bolt action.
Safe - The safety mechanism decocks or unloads the firing pin making it impossible for a ND situation.
Takedown - The rifle design allows you to manipulate two bolts and take the weapon down with zero effect on your zero.
Pointable - At 40.25 inches this rifle is easy to still hunt/stalk with and weighs 8.7 lbs fully loaded with a Swaro Z6i (2nd Gen) 2.5-15x56mm Obj
Versatile - You can do caliber switches on this rifle (.222 Rem up to .500 Jeffery).

The downside = It aint cheap!

Last edited:
I'll be trying out a Weatherby, Mark V, Ultra Lightweight in 7mm Rem. Mag. that I just bought. It should weigh in at 6 3/4 lbs without the scope. I've been saving up for it for a while now to upgrade my rifle and scope. I'm looking forward to try it out. I've read some positive reviews on it and read a nice write up in Eastman's magazine on different lightweight mountain rifle comparisons. I'm hoping I'll be another one that will have some positive reviews on that rifle.

Last edited:
I'll be trying out a Weatherby, Mark V, Ultra Lightweight in 7mm Rem. Mag. that I just bought. It should weigh in at 6 3/4 lbs without the scope. I've been saving up for it for a while now to upgrade my rifle and scope. I'm looking forward to try it out. I've read some positive reviews on it and read a nice write up in Eastman's magazine on different lightweight mountain rifle comparisons. I'm hoping I'll be another one that will have some positive reviews on that rifle.

That's what Robby uses

I'm partial to a...
Tikka T3 Stainless/Camo combo. It comes in 5 calibers at a $900 price point. It's a Cabela's Exclusive with a fluted barrel, and if your patient every now and then you get a coupon good for use on guns! That particular Tikka .300 Win Mag starts at 6lbs. I have one and my scale said 5lb 14oz w/o the scope, so even better! A stock magnum under 7lbs w/scope! If you don't want a mag, same 6lb starting weight.

The Weatherby Ultra Lightweight Magnums are 6 3/4lbs and the non-magnums are a 1lb lighter, but twice the price of a Tikka. Double the price for a quarter pound? At least it is a Mark V which means tighter tolerances over the Vanguards.

Otherwise as stated, a used Kimber Montana can be found under a grand and a new one just over. For a pretty penny a NULA can be had, but that's starting to get custom?

Jon Boy

WKR
Plenty out there to choose from depending on your budget. Savage light weight is good luckin gun, but not in the caliber I want. Tikkas, weatherby ultra light, winchester featherweight, kimber montana, remington ti if you could find one, just depends on what you want and how much you have. My next gun will be a winchester featherweight. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest. fairly affordable and good lookin at that. I had the opportunity to hunt with one this fall and just really like the way it felt and carried not too mention the way it shot and looked.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Brian,
Just my opinion, but I don't believe you can beat a Tikka for price, weight and accuracy all in one package.

If you would like, I have a couple of Tikkas you are welcome to shoot. I also have my brother's Rem. 700ti which I'm sure he wouldn't mind you shooting. We could even probably talk littlebuf into letting us use his new home shooting range. Could be a fun afternoon.
I think you still have my number? If not, send me a pm.