Sub 3lb shelter and sleep system

slick

WKR
You guys all have ridiculous weights...I'm trying to cut back on mine. I don't have a scale so I took manufacturers' listed weights and I end up with 254.2 oz (15.8lbs)

That includes:
Mountainsmith MtnLT 31.5oz
+8mini groundhogs 2.8oz
+BPWD poles ~7.5oz

TiGoat Ptarmagin Bivy 6.4oz
BA Crater 600fill 15* 42oz
BA Ins. AirCore Mum. 20oz

My pack is the heavy SOB.
MR Longbow (2ripzips, daypack lid, fliptop box, 2waist belt pockets) a whopping 144oz

I was crunching some numbers and can almost cut that in half with a SG 5100, EE quilt, XLite
-granted it would take some $$ even after selling stuff

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I've actually done it many times and they hold up very well. I would rather have a bigger shelter if I know the weather is going to be bad but the Zpacks shelters are tough enough for sure.

i second this.......

they have been slowly winning me over as well. not as a do everything, but when going fast and light, especially short scouting trips where lots of ground needs covered or an area you know you dont have to camp exposed.
i will likely have one by next spring...

i can buy one now but i have mixed feelings on them. the way i am though i can try and sell, or....... keep. the soloplex is a light option, been thinkin tarp tents options also. hillberg seems too heavy. hard to settle on a hillberg so i have been lookin hard at tarp tents options. i want a 2 pound or less shelter. for june through september.

300WSM

FNG
You go pics of your set up?

IMG_0754_zpsaf754a6e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a picture of the homemade tent I just got back from a buck hunt and it worked ok