Minox MD 50

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah the little guy has it's faults but the value is there. I would say my biggest complaint so far is the narrow depth of field or as I under stand how much of the image will focus at one instance but it is also easy to look past that fault whrn you consider the value you are getting and how crisp the image is once you figure out the focus. I also do not notice the DOF as much at lower magnification.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
Chesapeake, did the focus loosen up more with time, I kind of wish it wasn't as stiff as it is. Overall not bad just something I noticed the more I use it.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Not that I can remember. Mine is borderline OK. You cant really reach up single handed and spin the focus without upsetting the aim. I just steady the spotter with 1 hand and focus with the other.

Might could be alot of my issue results from the slik sprint tripod I use. Its a real cheap ball head.

Mine is workable and I dont mind packing it around. Thats the biggest key for me is that I'll take it along. I've had heavier units and they stayed home cause I didnt want to deal with the weight.

On another site a guy brought along a small silnylon draw string pouch. He would fill the pouch with rocks when at his spotting location and hang it from the tripod to add weight and steady things. Something to consider. Not sure I want to dink around filling a bag with rocks though. I havent tried it myself.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
Chesapeake, your experience is pretty similar to mine with the little Minox. Pretty nice for the size and price, but not a magic wand for glassing. The ED50 is a better instrument overall, but the Minox is still pretty good.

The term you are looking for is depth of field. The little Minox is pretty shallow there and requires some focus work.

Thanks, I learned something. Yes the depth of field is shallow.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
That depends on the spotter you are comparing it too. Just got the review written a couple days ago, but all the editors for the website are out bear hunting so it may be a bit. :D

Any update on eta?