Pa Saturday turkey season opener 4/27/13

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'm going to try to do a live opening day Pa turkey hunt. Season opens 4/27/13. I got two spots picked out that I've been seeing turkey and sign at. I'll be hunting in Susquehanna County Pa open day on a old closed but maintained dairy farm, that one of the local farmer plants corn on. I'll be going in Friday night with my bow, blind and enough gear, food and water for one night and half day. In Pa you can only hunt till noon the first 2 weeks of the season and you can not hunt on Sundays. The last 2 weeks you can hunt all day. Tonight I'm going to put all my gear together so I can come home from work Friday night gab my gear and go. Hoping to get there about a half hour before dark. Move in, in the dark as close to the birds as I can. Setup my blind, close up the windows, pull out my sleep pad and bag and hopefully get good cell service so I can post reports here on the RokSlide Friday night and Saturday morning.

Tonight after I get my gear put together I'll post on what gear I'll have with me. Tee

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys and best of luck to you..

As for gear, my bow it will be a matthews switchback set at 68 pushing a victory 350 v1 tipped with a 100gr rocket hammerhead. It opens to two inches. I'll have a pair of 10x42 bonos and a nikon rangefinder. My blind/home for Friday night and Saturday morning will be a double bull with 8 shooting windows and I'll have a small fold up chair w/back that slides right into my bag the blind goes into. Have to have a chair my knees kill me, kneeling on them for hours. My bag pad combo will be thermarest with a elcheapo bag. I save my good bags for muti day hunts. I have 2 decoys a hen and a jake. For calls I'm taking with me a crow and owl call, box call, 2 different slate calls with about 6 strikers and about 6 different home made diaphragm calls, I have a jig to make them. And last will be some food/snacks, water and a 24oz bottle of mtn dew. :) That's it for now. Tee

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I got in at about 730. Saw 3 birds about 300yds down from the corn field on a pole line. One was a gobbler as for the red head. I did not hear a bird. I tried to owl hoot but no anwser. Have the blind up windows up in the blind and a head lamp and a few mags to read. The sleep pad in place and the bags is out.

Last edited:
OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'm up it's about 455
Got about a half hour or so before it's starts to get light. I'm just going to sit tight and lisen for awhile.

ST52v

WKR
I just got on here and was going to give u a wake up call. Yelp yelp yelp I should say soft tree call.

OP
Teeton

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I really thought I'd see and hear more birds closer . But it's only 7 and I did see birds here the last two times I've been here right before dark scouting.

Last edited:
Just hD 3 hens n 3 jakes out in front of us. 100 yds or so. One jake had 2" spurs w barely a beard. Could b an old tom

anenune7.jpg