Ultras marothons

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Any body running any this year. Doing my 1st 50 miler in September hawk 50 in ks. Ran the psyco wyco 50k in ks last year, dubbed the hardest 50 k in the Midwest. There is a reason it's called psyco wyco.

My goal is to finish the 50 in the time allowed.

My wife and I are doing the Devil's Backbone 50 miler in Montana as a relay. I may do a 50k in Idaho in August, I am waffling on that one.

Good luck on the 50 miler! I haven't yet worked up the courage to try one, 50k is my longest.

2rocky

WKR
Did the Grizzly Peak 50k this April in the muddy hills of Berkeley, CA.

I've committed to help a friend who is running the Western States 100 miler. Crewing and pacing this year for portions.

Monday is a Training run on the last 22 miles.

2rocky

WKR
Sound familiar?

hBFF259EC

kickemall

WKR
I have nothing but respect for your guys. Every time I run a couple miles I wonder how anyone can run a marathon much less a 50 or 100 miler. Hats off to you!

After 4 straight years of ultra running, I'm backing it down to anything under 3 hours. Hope you guys have some great races! 2Rocky, let me know when you get in town.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good luck to all you guys/gals running ultras this year. Enjoy them while you can and enjoy the freedom that they give you. My lower back won't let me do them any longer and it is killing me as I've run them since 1995. If any of you ever get to the point of wanting to run a 100 miler, seriously look at Cascade Crest Classic in Washington State. I started and founded that race and it is a wonderful 100 miler. Great course, low key and you get to run through a 2 mile long tunnel during the middle of the night. Have fun!

Randy

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
My goal is to take a crack at 100, but going to run this 50 miler and hopefully finish it and go from there.

2rocky

WKR
No doubt Arrowslinger you have earned your spurs in the Running department. I'll give you a holler when I hit Hwy 80 Sunday if it is before 6pm.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I have my first 50 miler on my plate for August. (Lean Horse-South Dakota).

I have done the Bighorn Trail Run 50K 3 times. (Dayton Wyoming)

I am currently taking a break for a couple of weeks as I ran my 8th marathon on Sat. I have high hopes I'll be ready to rack up some summer training miles.

Jason- Good luck to you and your wife on the Devils Backbone. I'll be eyeing up the results! Per our previous conversations, I'll be in the neighborhood chasing elk in Sept!

2rocky

WKR
Jason I heard one ultra marathoner refer to an ultra race as being like a mullet. "business in front, and party in the back" .

Truth be told I'd rather run a 50k with elevation gain than a flat road marathon. I'm not going to win any AG awards, unless I keep doing this into my 70's and outsurvive my contemporaries...

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Cross training, what do you guys do for cross training, I know last year I did not cross train, I payed the last 11 miles of the 50k. I have a busy work load, gettin the hours on my feet is a challange.

3 weeks ago I started doing 10 push ups every hour, when I could on a non run day and on run day, I would stop and do 10 every mile or so. Think I'm gonna switch it up with mnt climbers and bureppes. I really just started my serious training, 16 miler last nite and 6 this evening.

What do you guys do?

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Kebler- To be honest, I prepare much like I do for an elk hunt. (Core work)

Bicycle crunches, lunges with hand weights, push ups, stairmaster, elliptical and hiking with pack. A big bang for your buck is do reversors.

My definition of a reversor- What ever hill you have, go up it backwards. I will do this with my weighted pack on the local flood dike. (We have ZERO hills close). This will get your quads burning within minutes. Bighorn had a large section of downhill which crushes your quads. I don't know about your race course.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Relatively flat slight rolling terrain on this one.

Not a competitive runner but I do a lot of trail running and mountain biking here in CO.
A good cross-training workout that I have started doing is a steep uphill core workout and I'm finding it to be very worthwhile. I take a 10lb medicine ball and run up a trail that is wide enough for a vehicle to drive up and throw the medicine ball up as far as it will go then run up and pick it up and then throw it again. I do this until I reach the top and I switch the way I throw each time. Overhead, granny, sides and push from the chest. Definitely a much harder workout than I thought it would be and fun to mix things up. I'm spoiled having the perfect trail for this so close to my house and business. It's about a 22% grade. Congrats on your fortitude in tackling an ultra. Good luck!