Backpack lid or top options?

dotman

WKR
You can get the Kifaru lids seperately or run an e&e as a lid. I don't see why you couldn't use any of their pockets as a lid depending on pack size, would have to do a little DIY to them.

I would say think about what you really want out of it and then start thinking outside the box.

The one above does look like it will get the job done. Let us know what you think when you get it.

jherald

WKR
If your savvy with a sewing machine you can sew some molle/pals webbing onto the top of your pack and add a large kifaru pocket on there. I'm going to add some webbing onto the sides of my terminus to add kifaru pockets on both sides. Going to be a chore but will be worth it in the end run to have all my ditty gear and phone etc on the outside organized in pockets.

OP
Racethesunset
I didn't know that Kifaru and MR sold them, cool. The MR one is huge! A whole new pack almost. Might have to try a couple, if the extra 400 CI's doesn't cut it. Thanks for the advice.

If anyone else has done this on a more streamlined pack, let me know which route you took, e.g. 1500 ci pack + 500 ci lid, and how it worked out.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I pretty much gutted the mr lid too. Cut out the shoulder straps, all the excess material. Don't know what the official weight is, but next to the standard lid on my Metcalf its significant.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I pretty much gutted the mr lid too. Cut out the shoulder straps, all the excess material. Don't know what the official weight is, but next to the standard lid on my Metcalf its significant.

Yeah I can see how you could save quite a bit of weight off of that MR lid for sure...two pockets large enough to hold full 3 liter water bladders is impressive. I personally don't see the appeal of a toplid daypack as I also take my "real" pack with me no matter what, as I really hate backtracking very fair to get it to so I can haul something.

Personally if I want to use a day pack I like the idea of my stuff sack doing the double duty though. The OR dry comp bag I've used works great for this and pretty large at 1500+ cu in and works great as a dry sack for your sleeping bag and clothes while hiking in and if you want to use it as a day pack from camp it'll keep everything dry as well.
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-...5&origin=pla&gclid=CLvW4s-rybcCFTByQgod51kAOw

Has a sternum and waistbelt that converts into compression straps when in stuff sack mode and pockets on straps on the lid to hold tripods and spotters or whatever else you want to strap to the outside of a day pack.
No wrong way about it. Just another option to look into.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord