bulletts for elk

bnsafe

WKR
ive got it down to cva aerotip at 348 gr and tc maxi ball at either 320 gr or 370 gr in a impact inline muzzleloader. i understand its what the gun likes but dont want to buy a ton of stuff that i dont like. so, what say you all in these choices to start with and what grains for a cow elk. thanks so much for your input. i had decided on the maxi balls but read they dont shoot well out of an inline because of twist.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should do well with that set-up! Have you had a chance to get out there and see how it does?

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
1 28 twist I believe. Haven't been out yet, just been to dang busy training

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
bnsafe,
Check back later, I'll do some research when I get time about barrel twist vs bullet choice. There is a correlation between them and very worth paying attention to. I should have this by tomorrow.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot to ask what caliber you shoot, so I'll post for all three popular calibers, for conicals, for a 1:28" twist (you have to know your twist for sure, or this data is meaningless)

45 caliber: you want 330 to 360 grain bullets
50 caliber: you want 400 to 450 grain bullets
54 caliber: you want 500 to 535 grain bullets

On average, all other variables being equal, your twist will shoot/stabilize these bullets the best (purely from a statistical standpoint.) I've learned to always start with matching the bullets to the twist. I've never found a bullet that doesn't match twist shoot better than one that does.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks robby, its a 50 caliber. i will look at some heavier bullets. may be hard to find that heavy. havnt seen any in my surfing so will have to look harder. again, thanks a ton. scott

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
the impact is a 1 28 in twist. i ordered the tc maxi ball 370 gr. gonna start with a 100 gr 777 and remington kleenbore primers. if i can hit anything at 100 yds im good to go cause i dont see great so shouldnt be shooting farther with iron sights. hope it works on targets and elk. thanks for the input guys. i really appreciate it.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
bnsafe,
check out prbullet.com
One of the best muzzleloader guys out there and he carries those weights.
Even if I don't shoot past 100 yards, I still won't put up with 3-4" groups as you can completely miss the vitals with that group. You should be able to cut that in half, at least.

philw

Lil-Rokslider
ive got it down to cva aerotip at 348 gr and tc maxi ball at either 320 gr or 370 gr in a impact inline muzzleloader.

I shoot a T/C Encore and Triumph, both 1-in-28 twist, and they shoot the 348 grain aerotips (Powerbelt bullets) very well with 80-90 grains of BH209 or Triple Seven. They are fine for cow elk if you do your part but they're relatively soft bullets so I wouldn't go any lower in weight with them. Most in-lines are twisted to shoot conicals (28 twist) so you should be fine with the maxi balls too, I'd see which shoots best in your rifle and have at it.

TwoTikkas

WKR
I have a Knight .50 here that likes bullets of 430 and 465gr sized .503". I have to agree with Robby regarding the twist rates and bullet weight. Seems to work out in the field. I never actually checked the rate of the extreme,but it's supposed to be a 28" rifle. Must be pretty close because she does like those bullet weights.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
i trying the 370 gr maxi balls. havnt had a chance to bench it off and really see, but was ok with some prelimenary load and shoot stuff.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
keep us posted bnsafe! Can't wait to get to the bench myself. The smell of blackpowder turns me on.