Tarp and Bivy Questions

OBP

WKR
I have my first tarp on order from Kifaru and was hoping you all may be able to answer some questions about running the tarp and a bivy bag. In what situations do you run just a tarp? And in which situations do you run a bivy in conjunction with the tarp? If you have a preference for one set-up over the either can you please explain why? Thanks!

I'm not the most experienced with a bivy tarp combo, but have run a tarp for years on end. So far I prefer the tarp without the bivy, it just feels less restrictive and is a bit less weight usually.
Nothing inherently wrong with the bivy per se, but for most of my uses it is not needed.

Rizzy

WKR
I use just the tarp most of the time, if its really cold then I use a tarp and a stove.
IMO, I don't see very many benefits in the bivy /tarp combo, but a lot of guys are using them so there has to be something to it. Is it for Versatility? Mental security? Weight? Warmth? Weather protection? In my experience I've been achieving all that from just the Tarp, Sleeping pad, and Sleeping bag.

lintond

WKR
I'm not the most experienced with a bivy tarp combo, but have run a tarp for years on end. So far I prefer the tarp without the bivy, it just feels less restrictive and is a bit less weight usually.
Nothing inherently wrong with the bivy per se, but for most of my uses it is not needed.

How do you protect your pad, or do you not use an inflatable? Do you ever have issues with bugs/Mosquitos?

muleman

WKR
Here is a pic of Tyvek under my bivy/pad/bag.
uploadfromtaptalk1371187386723.jpg

If you decide you want to use Tyvek. I've got some extra listed in the classifieds.

crumy

WKR
I am new to the tarp thing but I decided to go with bivy as well. My reason are bugs in general and to protect bad/bag.... There is a small weight penalty, but still beats the 9lbs I was lugging around.

Lawnboi

WKR
I now use a bivy all the time. Only because the ID event bivies breath so well and I cannot see why not to take it other than weight.

Otherwise id say, if bugs are not a problem.

w/ bivy: 4 season shelter
w/o bivy: 2.5 season shelter

Lawnboi

WKR
Why do you say 2.5 season without a bivy?

Only because I get bad condensation if I have to seal up my small tarp all the way in really bad weather or cold weather. Then I like to have a bivy to keep things dry if I get stuck in the tarp for too long and the condensation builds. A little extra wind protection the bivy provides helps too.

I always use a bivy in conjunction with a tarp. I must have a phobia about bugs. But at a little over 6 ounces my Ti-Goat bivy works great. I sometimes will just set up a bivy if the weather forcast is good, no tarp, but usually i go with a tarp bivy combo. But rarely if ever have i just ran a tarp.Even in warm weather i like to set my para tarp up hgh for increased ventilation and shade. The ti -goat bivys have zero condensation due to the size of the mosquito netting.

Only because I get bad condensation if I have to seal up my small tarp all the way in really bad weather or cold weather. Then I like to have a bivy to keep things dry if I get stuck in the tarp for too long and the condensation builds. A little extra wind protection the bivy provides helps too.

I see, what size tarp are you using? I'm pretty sure I have not used anything much smaller than the Supertarp.

I ran no bivy in my Paratipi last year. Works ok unless you have to seal it down for bad weather. Then you'll get condensation and itll drip on your bag. Not a huge deal but for some it is. I'll be running without a bivy again this year. I like the open feeling.