Alternative NICE Load Sling

Hey Guys,

I was searching for custom Nylon gear manufacturers and ran across Wilde Built Tactical (http://www.wildebuilttactical.com/). I had him work up a quote for me and noticed that he offers custom built MOLLE panels for gun safes, and had the idea of using one as a load sling. I ordered one custom sized to fit my NICE frame. It was $50 shipped and arrived in less than 1 week (I would order it without the velcro on the back, it's unnecessary in this application).

I did not have any webbing/buckles on hand, so use the p-cord as a reference (sorry about the links, not sure how to get them working properly):

2013-07-09

2013-07-09

2013-07-09

2013-07-09

2013-07-09

I am planning on running it underneath my Longbow bag to use as a load shelf when the bag is detached. I ordered this one at 9"x32", small enough to fit between the stays, and long enough to wrap around under the bottom horizontal stay. When I get my webbing rigged up I think it will work very well!

I also have an old Dana Design K2 T1 with a detachable bag, thinking I'll order another one of these sized to fit it since there are no accessories available anymore for it. . .

Thanks all and God bless!

Adam

Last edited:
Looks like it should work great. For attachment I'd probably look to G-Hooks and hook into the loops for the buckles.

For a lighter weight version (and cheaper), you could consider the Wilderness Pack Specialties "Handi-Pak" meat harness. It a no frills load panel & I know it doesn't come w/ PAL webbing, but I just sew loops where I need them. The width of the WPS Handi-Pak is tailor made for adding a MOLLE sustainment pouch. Just right to fit my Kill Kit and a little day food. Anyway did want to hi-jack but just thought I'd offer that up as a possible UL solution for your Dana.
Hunt'nFish

Nimrod Harness on a WPS Compact Frame, w/ WPS Handi-Pak load panel
modified to accept MOLLE Sutainment pouch for Kill Kit.

cowboyarcher, Very nice idea! How much does it weigh?

Hunt'nFish, same question. Also, I've seen the handi-pak before, but I can't find where to buy it solo? They don't list it on the website as a stand alone product...

OP
cowboyarcher
I'll have to get it on a scale and weigh it for you guys. . . I would think it's fairly heavy with all that webbing, at least double what the handi-pak weighs.

The handi-pak looks to be 4.5oz: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...g-versatility-(one-modular-pack-fans-journey)
(this is a great thread for inspiration on projects like this!)

The g-hooks are a great tip, especially because I could still use a horizontal lash strap with the Longbow buckled over the sling into the side buckles. I presume that the g-hooks can be cinched down? I have never used them, just seen a photo.

Thanks for the pic also of the sustainment pouch, I was unsure which size MOLLE pouch to get, as I have none on-hand to tinker with. . . I have also looked into the sleep system carriers and the waist (butt) pack. Any thought on how closely they would match the frame/load sling width?

OP
cowboyarcher
My load sling weighs in at 9.4oz w/ about 8 feet of webbing and 2 male side release buckles. I am having a hard time finding g-hooks to only have the vertical lashing straps installed now. Horizontal straps maybe unnecessary anyhow as they are built into the Longbow. . .

I'll have to get it on a scale and weigh it for you guys. . . I would think it's fairly heavy with all that webbing, at least double what the handi-pak weighs.

The handi-pak looks to be 4.5oz: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...g-versatility-(one-modular-pack-fans-journey)
(this is a great thread for inspiration on projects like this!)

The g-hooks are a great tip, especially because I could still use a horizontal lash strap with the Longbow buckled over the sling into the side buckles. I presume that the g-hooks can be cinched down? I have never used them, just seen a photo.

Thanks for the pic also of the sustainment pouch, I was unsure which size MOLLE pouch to get, as I have none on-hand to tinker with. . . I have also looked into the sleep system carriers and the waist (butt) pack. Any thought on how closely they would match the frame/load sling width?
The MOLLE II Side Sustainment pouches are like ~8-9" wide, the WPS Handi-Pak is 8" wide and I just sewed the loops on the Handi-pak right on the edge and it worked fine. The MOLLE Sustainment pouched are not exactly UL and if that is a concern you might look to the Kifaru large belt pouch or E&E as an option. Or another option would be the WPS Pelican Bag, basically thier version of the E&E. But it isn't exactly a direct attach fit to the Handi-Pak, but if you tell them what your doing with it, I'm sure they could include four 1" gate keepers so you can attach it to both thier & your load panels and well as on the outside of your pack body. That's what I did.

I weighed a WPS Handi-Pak load panel, it came in at .4lb on my digital fish scale w/ all the MOLLE attach hardware. By taking off all the metal MOLLE attach hardware and ladder lock cinches, the weight drops to ~.2lb which is more inline w/ Stephen's posted weight. Add back in what 6 G-Hooks would weigh and you have a final weight. As far as ordering the Handi-Pak.... I just called them & orderd two a couple months back and was charged $20ea.
Hope this helps,
Hunt'nFish

Wilderness Pack Specialties "Handi-Pak" meat harness load panel showing measurements.
(Note: shown w/o the MOLLE attach hardware and ready for G-Hooks.)

Last edited:
OP
cowboyarcher
Well finally made it out to test the load sling some this weekend. Hauled my dad's treestand about 3.5 miles through some rugged terrain and nasty timber and it performed great. I did have to stop at one point and tighten the horizontal compression straps again, but I think that would be an issue with any buckles with an awkward, static load like this (maybe the MR Autolocks would do better?). I like this set up because I can run it under any pack bag configuration I can come up with, so it's always there. I'm using it here with the NICE Daypack lid.

Also have to give a shout out to the HPG Recon Kit bag pictured, great set up!

2013-08-12

2013-08-12

2013-08-12