Pack goats?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very cool Vandal and appreciate all the insight. This is something some of my crew have talked about down the road in place of mules. Looks like they do extremely well for you.

garrenj

FNG
I have been packing with goats for three seasons now and really like it. Started out with renting some for an elk hunt and ended up buying some the next summer, now I have six total. Usually only bring two deer hunting and four for elk. Two aren't old enough to pack yet.

Like Vandal said.

1. They don't need much water or feed. It's not uncommon for my goats to maybe drink once in 6 days or so if at all.
2. They can be hauled in most anything, although I usually bring the horse trailer.
3. Gear is cheap- a set of packs and panniers runs about $150 - $175 or so depending on the brand. Mine also have blankets.

Here are some pics on mule deer hunt in 2011. As you can see they aren't afraid of steep country.

Usually high line them and put a tarp up for shelter since they hate rain. Mine seem to be good with water crossings but will always try and find logs or rocks to cross on if possible. Usually one of us comes back to camp mid day anyway so letting them off to eat isn't and issue. I don't really worry about it too much though if we don't get back and just let them off after dark for a bit.

I really like having them bring in the tipi and stove. Plus some non freeze dried food is always a plus. The main drawback I have seen is that they only move at "goat pace", which seems to be a fairly leisurely walk. But it's a generally fine with me in steep country.

Attachments

• packing out.jpg
    packing out.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 165
  • goat glassing.jpg
    goat glassing.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 180
  • TyeGoatTipi.jpg
    TyeGoatTipi.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Highline.jpg
    Highline.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 166
  • packing out 2.jpg
    packing out 2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 168
Nice pics! Have any more?! Starting to feel a lot more confident about my first venture into the backcountry with the goats.

B

bearguide

greatm mental image of the goats in the back of the truck

OP
IrishnId

IrishnId

WKR
I'm liking what i'm seeing and hearing may have to give it a shot. Thanks for all the feedback and pics.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
I've been curious about pack goats for a while and thought I might revive this thread with a question. The reoccurring downfall with goats seams to be their pace. What kind of pace exactly would you guys estimate? With and without a full pack? I'm just curious, I usually range between 15 min. miles on really flat terrain to 30 min. miles on really steep inclines. However, I'd be willing to slow to if they are carrying my gear for me. But I don't think I could tolerate a 30-40 min. mile on good flat trail.

OR Archer

WKR
I've always been an advocate of goats and still am. But this weekend I had a lengthy discussion with one of my customers. He and his family use donkeys. Not mules but donkeys. I was intrigued to say the least and asked a ton of questions. Each donkey can carry 150# apiece and only requires about 5# of grain per day. His donkeys are about half the size of a horse. He said they take to packing like a short hair does to pointing birds. Said they are easy to lead and are sure footed to. For the size of the animal and the amount of weight they can carry I would have to say they are my new first choice for a pack animal if I were to get any. Wish I had the pics from the shop to share showing his donkeys packing. They were quite impressive.

kaboku68

WKR
When I retire I want to get about four or five yaks. They can haul a bunch go over glacial crud and aren't afraid of bears.

It is the direction that I want to go.

Sincerely,
Thomas

jljmonky

FNG
I will revive the necro post here with the only problem I am running into... convincing my wife. How have you done it?

I am sold on the abilities, the cons are well out weighed in my opinion and I want to make this year's elk hunt easier on me. I noticed one instance of renting mentioned in the thread which seems like a great way to go but I haven't had any luck finding anything online. But I imagine searching the major metropolitan areas between Illinois and southern CO won't get me much... anyone have any insight there?

I cant get my wife to stop asking me if we can get goats.

I have thought of this goat thing in the past and thought it was just to much work. But now I think it may be worth trying. I need something I can keep in my yard and haul with a regular trailer (build a cage to put in it).

Pack goats are awesome. I have been using them for the last 4 years. Packed out several elk and deer with them. They could careless about blood or dead animals. They just start looking for food while you're skinning or loading panniers. They don't care about gun fire either. We use Alpine and from all my research. They're the hardest working breed out there. Like said above, they can be transported in the bed of your truck, need little to no water, and can eat anything on the mtn. They are like a trusty dog on the trail that will follow you to the end of the world and won't let you out of their site. They have attract game into our camp a few times now. And, if you pay attention to them. They'll spot game way before you do. Plus, they'll clean up weeds and over grown brush at your place.

PA100437_zpsf6cc4b0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2623_zps5580234d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2944_zpsfcf89d28.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_2986_zps579bcd56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I forgot to mention the steaks and beer we bring with us on summer backpacking trip. Eatin' good in the backcountry!

I read a long thread on another forum about pack goats and it seems very positive.

Does anyone know or have concerns about spreading disease to other game animals? I believe that goats have a fair amount of parasites/diseases or am I wrong? I understand that domestic sheep can transmit disease to Bighorn sheep.

Browtine

WKR
I read a long thread on another forum about pack goats and it seems very positive.

Does anyone know or have concerns about spreading disease to other game animals? I believe that goats have a fair amount of parasites/diseases or am I wrong? I understand that domestic sheep can transmit disease to Bighorn sheep.

As far as livestock goes, I think goats are very parasite/disease resistant and overall easy keepers. Worm/shots a few times a year plus hoof trimming and a good goat proof pen or pasture with some sort of shelter and you're good. My wife and kids have been raising them for 6-7 years and keep a herd of between 10-20 depending on what time of year. They raise Boers and Nigerian's which aren't good candidates for packing, but we're thinking about getting a couple Alpine whethers to turn into packers.

Last edited:

RdHawg

FNG
Does anyone know of someplace in northern Cal that would rent them out? A friend of mine and I have discussed using them but the city feels they aren't suburbanite pets where we live.

charvey9

WKR
When my wife and I finally move out of the burbs to a spot we can keep the horses and a few goats, I'm getting some.