Electronic Predator Call Recommendation

muleman

WKR
I'm looking to buy an electronic call for coyotes and wolves. I have been looking at FoxPro, Johnny Stewart, and Primos.

What call would you recommend?

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
I don't use a predator call. This is me calling on a 3 day bear hunt with a buddy I just got back from late last night. Nevermind the foxpro sitting up on the bow of the boat. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3spTx6LdJG0&feature=youtu.be

Seriously though, my wife got me a foxpro for my birthday. Great little unit and much better than the Johnny Stewart I had before.

Does the Luke Moffat model function as a mule also? If so I'll take two!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does the Luke Moffat model function as a mule also? If so I'll take two!

Yep, I have been using this feature the last few seasons with great success! Tough to find though, last time I looked they were out of stock :)

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I work for a goverment agency that assists ranchers and landowners protect livestock/property from predation (coyotes, mt. lions, bears....). We use calling machines on a daily basis and have used several models. Probably the two most popular are Foxpro and Wildlife Technology. They both have 100's of sounds to choose from, but without a doubt Wildlife Technology has better quality sounds. The first models of Wildlife Technology (10+ years ago) had very good sounds but were not dependable because there were several different loose parts (speaker, memory drive, radio reciever, battery pack...) in a bag that would eventually break in field conditions. Several guys started using Fox pro because they were more durable. The past few years Wildlife Tech. combined all the parts into one case and they are very durable. The unit is a little bigger than foxpro, but I think it still has better quality sounds.

If you want to get really serious use decoy dogs (live dog, not taxidermist), but that can get expensive.
good luck!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Wildlife Technology call and would say its the best made now. As mentioned before it had several pieces and there were some issues. The latest, I think it is called The Atom, is completely contained in one waterproof unit. I think Wildlife Technolgy sounds are the best sounding. I have hunted with several guys with Foxpros, good useable calls, but I personally think they are a notch below Wildlife Technology.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
Thanks rpm & rosin. I'll take another look at Wildlife Technologies.

OP
muleman

muleman

WKR
If you want to get really serious use decoy dogs (live dog, not taxidermist), but that can get expensive.
good luck!

Does the breed of dog matter? I know of dogs locally being breed as a decoy dogs but don't know what makes a good decoy dog. I have a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that isn't cutting it as a bird dog. He is very obedient and physically tough. I would like very much for my griff to have a purpose, as I've already replaced him on the bird front.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I know of several decoy dogs that were basically muts. Most specific decoy "breeds" include or are a combination of Mountain Cur, Blackmouth Cur, Rhodesian Ridgeback. Some guys also use terriers for denning dogs.

Jarom974

FNG
I have. Foxpro firestorm and it has increased my success rates. I tried to build a homemade one and while it did work it wasn't real user friendly and it sounded like crap compared to hand calls or the foxpro.

Travis

FNG
Try customizing your sounds for your electronic caller. I was able to put moose distress, ravens, and wolves all on the same call sequence. Havent got to try it on wolves yet, but it drives my neighbors dogs crazy.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Wildlife Technology call and would say its the best made now. As mentioned before it had several pieces and there were some issues. The latest, I think it is called The Atom, is completely contained in one waterproof unit. I think Wildlife Technolgy sounds are the best sounding. I have hunted with several guys with Foxpros, good useable calls, but I personally think they are a notch below Wildlife Technology.

What do you think about the Wildlife Technology remote? One of the things that keeps me going back to the Foxpro is their remote. I really like all the features they have. Would the Foxpro be better with an external speaker?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP