Exped Synmat UL 7 vs. Exped Downmat UL 7

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I am debating between these 2 pads for late summer/ fall high country backpacking/hunting. I am a cold sleeper, and I also like to sleep on my side. I have read through the synmat and BA Q-core thread, and it helped for my opinion some. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated.

muleman

WKR
I have the DownMat UL 7 and my kids have the SynMat UL 7 pads. When I bought my DownMat last year I was coming from using the old maroon BA IAC. In a long wide pad I dropped 10oz and picked up some R-Value with the DownMat. I use a quilt and the pad insulation is even more important with the quilt. The difference for a Long Wide DownMat UL 7 and a Long Wide SynMat UL 7 is 7.6oz. I opted for the half pound of insurance when I was debating between the Syn and Down.

Having used the DownMat UL for one season I don't have any complaints other than there are lighter options out there. If I were to do it again today, I think I would go with the BA Q-core SL. It has a R-Value in between the DownMat UL 7 & and the SynMat UL 7. While having a 3.5" height vs the 2.8" of the Exped pads. It however is a couple of oz heavier than the SynMat UL 7. That should be expected though as it is a deeper pad with higher R-Value.

PadSizeWeightR-Value
Exped SynMat UL 777.5"x26"x2.8"21oz3.1
Big Agnes Q-Core SL78"x25"x3.5"23oz4.5
Exped DownMat UL 777.5"x26"x2.8"28.6oz*5.9
*Weight include Schnozzel Pumpbag

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info. Is the pump needed for the downmat? I had looked at the Q-core as an option, but eliminated it, I may want to reconsider. I don't think that I would necessarily need the long and wide. What is the warmest and coldest weather that you have had the downmat in?

muleman

WKR
Thanks for the info. Is the pump needed for the downmat? I had looked at the Q-core as an option, but eliminated it, I may want to reconsider. I don't think that I would necessarily need the long and wide. What is the warmest and coldest weather that you have had the downmat in?

Because the DownMat has down you do not want to blow it up by mouth. The moisture from your breath could cause you to loose insulation effectiveness in the down. The pumpbag is only 2 oz and works great once you learn how to hold it. It only takes about three bag fulls to fill the long wide pad. The bag can be multipurpose and be used as a pillow or dry bag too. http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/0/116B8BA50E7CBF1DC12579C900243A52?opendocument

Were you looking at the Q-Core or the Q-Core SL? Two different pads. https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Pad I haven't personally laid on the new SL model but looks good, to me, on paper for a cold side sleeper.

I have used the DownMat UL 7 in the mid 70s and the low 30s last year.

As far as sizes I just put down what I knew from my research. I'm 6'2" and 200#, I could get by with a regular length but the width is killer for me. I have broad shoulders and the regular width pads drive me nut to have my arms hang off when laying on my back.I have found that getting a good nights sleep is well worth it for me to pack a little extra weight.

One thing I really like about the Exped pads is the slightly bigger baffles on the edge of the pad, which help keep an active sleeper on the pad.

slim9300

WKR
I have the DownMat UL 7 and my kids have the SynMat UL 7 pads. When I bought my DownMat last year I was coming from using the old maroon BA IAC. In a long wide pad I dropped 10oz and picked up some R-Value with the DownMat. I use a quilt and the pad insulation is even more important with the quilt. The difference for a Long Wide DownMat UL 7 and a Long Wide SynMat UL 7 is 7.6oz. I opted for the half pound of insurance when I was debating between the Syn and Down.

Having used the DownMat UL for one season I don't have any complaints other than there are lighter options out there. If I were to do it again today, I think I would go with the BA Q-core SL. It has a R-Value in between the DownMat UL 7 & and the SynMat UL 7. While having a 3.5" height vs the 2.8" of the Exped pads. It however is a couple of oz heavier than the SynMat UL 7. That should be expected though as it is a deeper pad with higher R-Value.

PadSizeWeightR-Value
Exped SynMat UL 777.5"x26"x2.8"21oz3.1
Big Agnes Q-Core SL78"x25"x3.5"23oz4.5
Exped DownMat UL 777.5"x26"x2.8"28.6oz*5.9
*Weight include Schnozzel Pumpbag

^^^ Exactly.

slim9300

WKR

You looked at the Q-core or Q-core SL?

sneek-ee

WKR
I got the q core sl and its been the best so far.
I have a downmat ul7 that I used the past two seasons. Its a nice pad and when I got the q core sl I gave my wife the down mat and she loves it.
But the q core is still the best.
I just wish I would've got the long wide version. The long standard is just too narrow for me .

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I got the q core sl and its been the best so far.
I have a downmat ul7 that I used the past two seasons. Its a nice pad and when I got the q core sl I gave my wife the down mat and she loves it.
But the q core is still the best.
I just wish I would've got the long wide version. The long standard is just too narrow for me .

What would you say makes the Q-core better than the downmat? Everything I have read says that the wide is needed if you are going to get the Q-core SL.

muleman

WKR
Yes I have read that thread, maybe I need to revisit, because I was thinking the consensus was that the Synmat was superior to the Q-core SL.

I hadn't seen that thread before. After reading it I'm glad I went with Exped. I know I'd be upset getting a undersized overweight pad. But I like the under promise over deliver philosophy rather than the converse.

Seems the general consensus, from that thread, is that the Q-Core SL appears to be tougher. Could be, I've always felt durability was the weakness of the Exped UL pads. I have no complaints regarding my old model BA IAC. It is bomber tough and was a good light option at the time of purchase. By todays standards it is on the heavy side though.

sneek-ee

WKR
WhatI would you say makes the Q-core better than the downmat? Everything I have read says that the wide is needed if you are going to get the Q-core SL.

Dixie,
it is thicker than the others and when you sleep on it it feels more comfortable. I am a side sleeper so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.
and like muleman said it s durable. Feels more durable than the exped. Its also quick and easy to air up
I just wish they were a little wider like I said before

slim9300

WKR
What would you say makes the Q-core better than the downmat? Everything I have read says that the wide is needed if you are going to get the Q-core SL.

Well. The width difference is 2". I wish I had those two inches without the weight penalty but I sleep on my side and the SL superior for this. It does also seem about 50% more durable to the touch. The other big factor is that the R-value is about 25% greater.

Also, sleeping in a UL bivy makes the slightly narrower width much less noticeable for me due to feeling more 'held in place.'

I would not go back to the UL7 unless they could make it 3.5" thick with the standard 20" width but long 78" length.

OP
D

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the replies. Now I am leaning towards going with the BA Q-core SL long and wide. I wish they made just a wide version, as I really dont need the extra length. I guess you cant make everyone happy!

Shrek

WKR
Have you looked at the new ul9 synmat ? Also the ul7 downmat has an r value of 5.9 . Since a lot of your body heat is lost to the ground the higher insulation of the downmat may let you get by with a lighter bag. Most cold sleepers would probably do better upping the pad insulation instead of a heavier bag. The inflated pad keeps the insulation from being compressed versus laying on the bottom of the bag and compressing it between the pad and you. Going for the lightest pad is often a loosing game weight wise as you end up carrying a heavier bag to compensate.

muleman

WKR
Updated chart with the Exped SynMat UL 9 Daveinjax suggested. These are all long wide pads.

Pad
Size
Weight
R-Value
Exped SynMat UL 7
77.5"x26"x2.8"
21oz
Big Agnes Q-Core SL
78"x25"x3.5"**
23oz**
Exped DownMat UL 7
77.5"x26"x2.8"
28.6oz* / 26.6oz
Exped SynMat UL 9
77.5"x26"x3.5"
30.2oz

* Weight includes 2oz Schnozzel Pumpbag
** Users report pad coming in undersize and over weight.

muleman

WKR
The Exped SynMat UL 9's 3.5" looks luxurious. 30.2oz for a long wide. Would have liked to seen it come in a little lighter.
http://www.exped.com/exped/web/expe...48E15F320AFDC7EDC125767E00705EC7?Opendocument

Campsaver has a good price on it. Beaware that their specs don't match with Exped's.
http://www.campsaver.com/exped-synmat-ul-9?gclid=CNjH8YzwgLgCFSZgMgodwXgAfg

Campsaver is now back to full price $218. Kinda kicking myself for not snagging SynMat UL 9 long wide for $160!

Shrek

WKR
I was going to jump on that also but the bank account wasn't on board with that purchase. I'll be ordering a new stove Monday and then be watching for another sale on the ul9 synmat.