Luxe hiking gear hexpeak tipi review

amp713

WKR
So I have had alot of questions about the luxe hexpeak tipi since I started running it and I've finally put together a full review on my page. This is 6 months of use from shed hunting prep in Feb and March to scouting trips this last month.

Check it out on my website at Luxe Hexpeak review | AMPED ARCHER

Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions just let me know!

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at buying one of these but hadn't seen much first hand information. I like the idea of having a floor less shelter but the majority of areas I'm in are bug / snake filled so I was a little unsure. I like the idea of being able to buy the inner tent or the bathtub floor. Good little write up. Thanks for sharing.
Cody C

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I've been looking at buying one of these but hadn't seen much first hand information. I like the idea of having a floor less shelter but the majority of areas I'm in are bug / snake filled so I was a little unsure. I like the idea of being able to buy the inner tent or the bathtub floor. Good little write up. Thanks for sharing.
Cody C

Glad you liked the write up, with the extra accessories it's good for about anything and even with the extras the price is pretty hard to beat

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Have you been around and of SO or Kifaru's shelters? I'm just curious as to the comparison of quality in regards to assembly.
Thanks

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Have you been around and of SO or Kifaru's shelters? I'm just curious as to the comparison of quality in regards to assembly.
Thanks

Unfortunately no, I really wanted to go that route but had to budget pretty hard earlier this year due to life situations. I was running Easton lightweight tents for my backpack hunts before this as well as a lesser brand tarp....

I dont doubt that the Kifaru or SO are the highest quality (I run kifaru slick bag and frame and pack) however not everyone can swing that cost or uses a shelter enough to need to. I try to focus alot of my gear around the budget minded blue collar guys like myself and try to give the best reviews I can for those. I do plan to get my hands on a super or mega tarp one of these days and will do a comparison then.

Honestly I had not planned to even post a review yet as I wanted to put more time into it but I was getting enough questions it seemed easier to write a single post I could direct people to.

Steepandeep1

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately no, I really wanted to go that route but had to budget pretty hard earlier this year due to life situations. I was running Easton lightweight tents for my backpack hunts before this as well as a lesser brand tarp....

I dont doubt that the Kifaru or SO are the highest quality (I run kifaru slick bag and frame and pack) however not everyone can swing that cost or uses a shelter enough to need to. I try to focus alot of my gear around the budget minded blue collar guys like myself and try to give the best reviews I can for those. I do plan to get my hands on a super or mega tarp one of these days and will do a comparison then.

Honestly I had not planned to even post a review yet as I wanted to put more time into it but I was getting enough questions it seemed easier to write a single post I could direct people to.

I run a kifaru pack and haven't purchased one of their shelters ( I would like a tut, and a supertarp ) because of cost. Because of my work schedule I don't to spend nearly enough time in the mountains to justify a $1200 setup. ( one of those deals where when you have the money you don't have the time, have the time, don't have the money ). I've been communicating back and forth with Luxe and after their communication and your review, as well as all the information and reviews I've been able to find online, I feel their products would work just fine for me. As much as I would love a Tut, I think something a little more budget minded would better suite me right now.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I'm fairly sure it will treat you right man, make sure to spend some time getting used to the set up and I think you will be happy with it!!

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Luxe Megahorn tipi which I hope to set up soon. It’s too friggin’ hot in Northern CA right now to get very excited about setting it up. I’ll post a review as well. It’s certainly not a lightweight setup, but should work well for some applications. Sorry for the hijack!

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
Like the Rubicon trail possibly?? Haha

My initial use of the megahorn will be on a deer hunt by canoe in the Missouri Breaks. We are paddling 65-100 of the Missouri River. I wanted to try a floorless tipi that can withstand some rain, wind, and snow - along with the option of running a stove. So weight isn’t as much of a concern in the canoe as it is on my back!

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
My initial use of the megahorn will be on a deer hunt by canoe in the Missouri Breaks. We are paddling 65-100 of the Missouri River. I wanted to try a floorless tipi that can withstand some rain, wind, and snow - along with the option of running a stove. So weight isn’t as much of a concern in the canoe as it is on my back!

Sounds awesome! When I see norther cali and a toyota name on a forum I just go straight to rock crawling.... haha

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
Amp, based on your review, I guess at 6' 1" I should go with the Hexpeak XL over the Hexpeak?

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Amp, based on your review, I guess at 6' 1" I should go with the Hexpeak XL over the Hexpeak?

Ya I would for sure. It will give you that little extra room. My buddy got the minipeak because he is tall and thought it gave him more head room but I havent had a chance to check his out yet.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
Thanks for the thorough write up and leg work with the company to get more options for all.

Thanks and I just told him what I thought he should expand into and more people began to voice similar opinions so it was a group effort ha

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a Luxe Megahorn tipi which I hope to set up soon. It’s too friggin’ hot in Northern CA right now to get very excited about setting it up. I’ll post a review as well. It’s certainly not a lightweight setup, but should work well for some applications. Sorry for the hijack!
How did you end up liking your Megahorn? I came across Luxe and trying to decide between Kifaru and Luxe. Specifically in the luxe between the megahorn or save some weight and go with the octopeak but also seems the megahorn has more space as well. Would love your review on the megahorn.

TexasCub

WKR
I picked up an Octopeak with stove jack for a larger camp with stove and a hex peak for solo ventures. Looking forward to running them this year. They seem to be very well made.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up an Octopeak with stove jack for a larger camp with stove and a hex peak for solo ventures. Looking forward to running them this year. They seem to be very well made.
Do you have any experience with a Kifaru tipi’s? I understand they are most likely better made but is the Luxe product still quality? Going all out with Luxe is still almost half the price of the Kifaru 8 man, liner, and stove.

TexasCub

WKR
I’ve had a couple SO shelters but won’t pony up the money Kifaru asks for their shelters. Initial impressions are that the quality is on par with the SO shelters I’ve owned but I haven’t used them yet so take it for what it’s worth. I will say I was impressed that the Luxe come with corded tensioners for the stake loops where as I had to buy them for my SO.

OP
amp713

amp713

WKR
I've ran the hexpeak a lot and still love it. Grabbed an ocotopeak as well, seems to he same quality as my hex but I just got it last week so only yard set up but going from my hex to this doesn't worry me at all quality wise.