Noob base camp question

I really wasn't sure what or how to search for this topic, so I decided to post as new since I couldn't find it.

I'm new to the western hunting and have only been out once on a semi-guided in CO last year, but expanding to DYI this year.

We were thinking of setting up a base camp in a few miles and taking a bivy type tent for packing in just in case we get stuck over night.

My question is - do you guys every have to worry about other people messing with or stealing from your base camp while you're away? What do you typically leave at your base camp other than the tipi/stove?

Seems basic, but I have found everything on what to take with you and options for those things, but nothing dealing with how to "manage" your base camp for noobs.

gumbl3

WKR
There are far easier ways for a thief to make a living then stealing your stuff a few miles in. (Like breaking into your vehicle that's parked on a dead end dark road).

Nobody seems to worry about it, I still wouldn’t leave stuff like a spotting scope or pistol in camp if I thought I wasn’t going to need it a certain day.

We’ve got a group of 4 guys going to CO this fall and plan to take a North Face 4-man dome tent and Mountain Shelter LT. It breaks down to 2.5 lbs per person and we can sleep 3 guys in the tent/1 in the tarp, or 2 and the gear in the tent/2 in the tarp. 2 guys could also take the Mountain Shelter and a couple days worth of food and bivy camp.

oldgoat

WKR
I don't spike out from base camp but I almost always have a flat tarp in my bag in case I get stuck out and to shelter from the rain, also have one of those emergency sleeping bags that's roughly the size of an orange I guess for a no kidding emergency. Only time I've not had the tarp with me while hunting was one weekend last year when I actually used it for my nightly shelter due to not being about to find a big enough spot for the small shelter I had along.

rayporter

WKR
i have seen tents open with gear and rifles laying around where I was sure no one was near quite often when I was over 5 miles in.

with in 3 miles of the truck i have heard of stuff stolen.

oddly i have never had nor heard of problems at the truck.

OP
A
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate the insight and makes me feel better about the plan. I would hate to have to carry camp stuff just because we were worried about it. Most of the good stuff would be with us in our day packs anyway

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't spike out from base camp but I almost always have a flat tarp in my bag in case I get stuck out and to shelter from the rain, also have one of those emergency sleeping bags that's roughly the size of an orange I guess for a no kidding emergency. Only time I've not had the tarp with me while hunting was one weekend last year when I actually used it for my nightly shelter due to not being about to find a big enough spot for the small shelter I had along.

I plan to do the same. I grabbed a 2p tent footprint for a groundcloth in the Mountain Shelter LT. I carry trekking poles anyways, and a couple paracord loops to hang meat, so I can string up a glassing tarp or emergency shelter by adding 4 stakes. That and a SOL emergency bivvy, plus my puffy jacket and a lighter should make an unexpected night away from camp bearable.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy is a Forest Service Cop. He told me theft at camps are always an issue. Usually it's people messing around with your vehicle and it's contents. Along with everywhere else in the country, pills, opioids, meth etc are becoming a big problem.