Wiggy’s sizing and other recommendations

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
I am going to pick up a new sleeping bag and am really considering Wiggy’s because of the reviews and price. I emailed Wiggy’s concerning sizing because their site describes regular sized bags as fitting people up to 5’9 and 150. I am 5’10 and 160-165 and Jerry recommended a regular length wide bag. The bags have a reputation for being huge and heavy and if I could get away with a regular size ultra light at 3.25 pounds I would prefer to. I’d appreciate advice from anyone with experience. I am a fairly skinny guy, medium shirts size 32 waist so wide seems excessive but I’ve never seen a Wiggy’s bag.

On another note, any other recommendations? My budget is pretty thin and I like gear that’s a good bang for your buck. I will be backpacking with the bag so small and light is good, but I’m willing to sacrifice a bit of space and weight for comfort and value. I know there is a ton written on this subject and apologize if my thread is redundant.

Thanks guys!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Wiggy's bags are pretty good, but they would not be my first choice for backpacking due to their weight. However, if you do go that route the regular bag should work. I have a few Wiggy's for base camp use and at 5'11" I am find with the regular.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I think Wiggy's bags are pretty good, but they would not be my first choice for backpacking due to their weight. However, if you do go that route the regular bag should work. I have a few Wiggy's for base camp use and at 5'11" I am find with the regular.

Aw man I ordered the regular wide a couple of days ago on wiggy’s recommendation. I hope I can return it if it doesn’t work out. I plan on packing it and am concerned about the weight but they have a few colors on closeout and seem to get good reviews aside from complaints about size.. Hoping I can tough the weight and bulk, I’ve never owned a down bag so don’t really know what I’m missing anyway.

Owenst7

WKR
I'd buy a Kelty Cosmic or similar competitor's bag long before a Wiggy's. I am exactly the same measurements as you and have a 20 degree in a Tall (was given to me) and it's a great bag with plenty of room. It's right at 3 lbs and goes for about $100-$120 on sale frequently.

Down bags are about 1/2 to 1/3 of the size compressed and will last 15-20 years+ if well cared for. Under similar use, a synthetic bag will lose a significant amount of its insulating value in 4-7 years depending on use and storage. There's also the obvious weight savings of down.

I use synthetic bags for car camping, mostly because they usually get jumped on by dogs. A tear in the shell won't result in a significant repair, and it will dry out easier if the dogs are wet. They're also a bit less complicated to wash.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy a Kelty Cosmic or similar competitor's bag long before a Wiggy's. I am exactly the same measurements as you and have a 20 degree in a Tall (was given to me) and it's a great bag with plenty of room. It's right at 3 lbs and goes for about $100-$120 on sale frequently.

Down bags are about 1/2 to 1/3 of the size compressed and will last 15-20 years+ if well cared for. Under similar use, a synthetic bag will lose a significant amount of its insulating value in 4-7 years depending on use and storage. There's also the obvious weight savings of down.

I use synthetic bags for car camping, mostly because they usually get jumped on by dogs. A tear in the shell won't result in a significant repair, and it will dry out easier if the dogs are wet. They're also a bit less complicated to wash.
I was really really close to getting a cosmic but decided against it for a few reasons. Hopefully the Wiggy’s will serve me well and I won’t regret it.

desertcj

WKR
QUOTE=Tleek;976547]Aw man I ordered the regular wide a couple of days ago on wiggy’s recommendation. I hope I can return it if it doesn’t work out. I plan on packing it and am concerned about the weight but they have a few colors on closeout and seem to get good reviews aside from complaints about size.. Hoping I can tough the weight and bulk, I’ve never owned a down bag so don’t really know what I’m missing anyway.[/QUOTE]

3lbs is fine. The only thing you'll be missing is stressing about keeping a down bag dry and possibly hypothermia or at least a few bone chilling nights:rolleyes: With synthetic, I've never been in the woods and thought, "Dang I wish I had a down bag that was a pound lighter than my 3lb synthetic!"

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
QUOTE=Tleek;976547]Aw man I ordered the regular wide a couple of days ago on wiggy’s recommendation. I hope I can return it if it doesn’t work out. I plan on packing it and am concerned about the weight but they have a few colors on closeout and seem to get good reviews aside from complaints about size.. Hoping I can tough the weight and bulk, I’ve never owned a down bag so don’t really know what I’m missing anyway.

3lbs is fine. The only thing you'll be missing is stressing about keeping a down bag dry and possibly hypothermia or at least a few bone chilling nights:rolleyes: With synthetic, I've never been in the woods and thought, "Dang I wish I had a down bag that was a pound lighter than my 3lb synthetic!"[/QUOTE]
I moved to Northern California last year and that’s one reason why I decided on a synthetic bag. I also live in a fifth wheel and struggle a lot with humidity. Since Ive never had a down bag I’m not sure how it would hold up stored in such a damp environment

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Yup wiggy's are great bags, I have 2 of the wide regular length (6-1, 225lbs) A little snug but work great for me. Only use when its gets real cold and never on a back pack trip.

bcimport

WKR
Wiggys work very well. A little bulky and slightly heavier than some other options but bomber. Used one for 4 or 5 seasons of backpack hunting and it was great. If I didn’t spend so much time on forums I’d probably still be using it contentedly and have some more money in my pocket.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
My bag showed up today. I may return it for a regular because it is pretty wide. I’m gonna think about it for a bit.
I am actually impressed with the compressed size. All of the reviews had me expecting it to compress like an old school flannel bag and it’s both that bad at all. I have never owned a down bag, but it seems like a pretty standard size for a 20 degree synthetic bag.

Got any pics of it compressed down with something to reference for size thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveG4

FNG
I have have a whole mess of Wiggys products. They all work and they all last. I still have the first bag I bought in 1996, still works great. I have tried other brands trying to save weight or packable size but to no avail. Little bulky? Yes compared to a down bag but I don't care my Fulcum has plenty room. A little heavy? No, not really if you really compare apples to apples. But if they are a bit heavier, again, I don't care. I sleep great in them and for me thats worth it. I've been in some pretty bad spots and they have always kept me comfortable.