warm clothes vs sleeping bag

superA

WKR
Have any of you guys ever just brought a few layers and a silk bag instead of a sleeping bag? I'm headed to the Rockies and we're expecting temps in the 40's for lows at night (this is max, may hit mid 40's on average). My quilt is a 20 degree GoLite and it's every bit that rating. My pad is an Exped downmat 7. I've slept in 38-42 degree temps with that combo before and was down to my boxers before the night was over. It's got me thinking about bringing my fleece coveralls and a silk bag instead. I'm backing upper and lower thermals and my down jacket anyway, with the bag and coveralls I save a good amount of weight as well as the option to strip layers off as needed. Any thoughts?

Akicita

WKR
On ski mountaineering trips where my pack size is very limited I have on many occasions only worn my warmth layers in my shelter under a space blanket to sleep in. I always do so on an insulated pad - A very reasonable consideration in my experience. I'd try it first with a bag as a backup before committing so you know your personal limitations.

MUeTvhB.jpg

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would completely depend on the warmth vs weight ratio of my clothing options vs my sleeping bag options. Fleece coveralls don't sound packable compared to many of the sleeping bag or quilt options that are out there.

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I have fallen asleep on top of my bag in merino long johns and crawled into my bag after a few hours in temps mid to low forties. I sleep cold though and like to be warm.

OP
S

superA

WKR
I think it would completely depend on the warmth vs weight ratio of my clothing options vs my sleeping bag options. Fleece coveralls don't sound packable compared to many of the sleeping bag or quilt options that are out there.

They weigh just a bit over a pound and pack down smaller than my quilt.

OP
S

superA

WKR
I have fallen asleep on top of my bag in merino long johns and crawled into my bag after a few hours in temps mid to low forties. I sleep cold though and like to be warm.

I'll have thermals, tops and bottoms, wool hat, down jacket, wool socks. Those are things that I'll be bringing anyway so I don't count them against my pack weight.

OP
S

superA

WKR
And that pad, man if you guys haven't tried one out yet I highly recommend them. Very comfortable and warm. Slept in the teens before and could not feel one bit of cold coming thru. With the pad and quilt I'm comfortable in some very cold temps.

Akicita

WKR
What temps have you done this in? What were the layers?

I have done this in temps from -10 and above. . . Don't get me wrong. . . When I can bring a bag, I bring a bag. This is a tactic of necessity not preference.

Definitely in a bag on this one>
3wixOPG.png

OP
S

superA

WKR
I have done this in temps from -10 and above. . . Don't get me wrong. . . When I can bring a bag, I bring a bag. This is a tactic of necessity not preference.

Definitely in a bag on this one>
3wixOPG.png

-10! Don't blame ya.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've sort of done this using a quilt on sheep hunts. I think quilts are great for the weight savings, but it comes at cost (IMHO) in terms of warmth. I make this up by using my puffy jacket and/or other layers as needed at night. A few times I have zipped up my rain jacket (Sitka Dewpoint) and slipped the end of the quilt in there to help keep my feet warm. Nice thing about the Dewpoint is it is pretty breathable and if the tent is damp I can keep the treated down quilt from getting damp by brushing against the tent wall. Its worked well enough that I kept taking the quilt each year. (This was August sheep hunts in AK, temps over the 3 seasons I did this ranged from mid 30s to 50+)