Calling all flat tarp guys

snowplow

WKR
Dudes, I got a titanium goat tipi and a Bearpaw La Garita (like a supertarp). But I've never played much with a basic flat tarp. What sizes do you guys typically run? You typically go square or rectangle? Do you do Sil nylon or Cuban?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

desertcj

WKR
10x10 if you plan on using it in bad weather(The only reason I carry it anyways). Sil-Nylon is fine, Cuban if your budget allows and you like that material.

oldgoat

WKR
Think my old one is 4'x6' or maybe 5'x7' just slightly bigger than the Kifaru Sheep Tarp. I got a Sheep Tarp for Christmas and I'll be taking it along this year! I carry mine all the time and often use it like a big rain blanket to wait out those short duration rain storms. I spent a couple nights under it too when I couldn't find a spot big enough to pitch my tipu and it kept me and my gear dry through a couple of short rain storms. I just have the SilNylon, some day I might buy the cuben, but I don't feel the weight difference between the two materials is worth that price difference, yet!

desertcj

WKR
I should add that I have also used a 7x10 and spending the night under it in a sustained rain storm was not fun although it did keep me mostly dry. For me, the extra 3 feet of a 10x10 makes a huge difference if you are pitching it as a shelter.

desertcj

WKR
It will be like a shelter for the Pacific Northwest rain

10x10 all day! I almost went 10x12 or 10x14 because I'm not setting up a shelter for a drizzle and if its raining hard enough to keep me inside a shelter, I dont want a cacoon. I dont use a bivy, but if you use one then I'm sure you can get away with a much smaller tarp.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I like the dst a lot. Any other recomendations for something similar?

desertcj

WKR
Bushcraft USA, Seek Outside Colorado tarp, Etowa outfitters tarp, I'm sure there are lots of others. Honestly, I'm thinking about getting a Mountain Smith mountain shelter now that they are OD instead of mustard yellow.

JP100

WKR
I have a 10x10, Silnylon. Its about 580 grams with tie lines and 4 pegs, a little over a pound.
Have a new on in the post thats only like 7x6 which will be light but marginal I rekon.

A 10x10 is good, soaks up alot of tarp getting it set up right.

I really like my sheep tarp. I used it a few times last year as a main shelter. Then if there's a chance of bad weather I'll throw it in with a half dozen mini MSR Groundhogs.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Nice, l think lll get a seek outside DST.

So... Anybody looking for a Bearpaw LaGarita 2?