Sleeping Pad Help

bbenn

FNG
Last year I packed a Cabelas Alaskan pad and it weighs #6+ and I sleep like a fat baby but its silly heavy. I'm packing in for a multi day hunt where comfort is important but not so much that I pack my old pad in. I've looked at a bunch of pad's and reviews online and can't make a decision. Ideally I want a self inflating or one that has the bag pump. I do need a full length as I'm 6'3" and narrow pads scare me a bit. Any guidance would be great, thanks in advance.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. 30" wide, little over two pounds, 76" long. I'm 6'4" and love mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not self inflating or has a pump, but you can carry a battery powered inflator that weighs like 2oz

I like my Exped UL7. I have the long / wide version and use their snozzle bag to fill. About a pound and 1/2 total weight.

Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. 30" wide, little over two pounds, 76" long. I'm 6'4" and love mine.

I can second this reccomendation

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

epicaaron

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a ton of mattresses and the NeoAir xtherm is my favorite; you probably won't need the full xtherm unless you'll be sleeping on snow, the trekker or all season should work. I've also been really impressed with the durability of the Klymit ultralight I have.

Also, if you crave a super luxury sleeping system you can toss a foam pad on top of the air mattress for a 5-8oz penalty.

FWIW mountainsteals.com has some good deals on NeoAirs right now.

OP
B

bbenn

FNG
Thanks guys I looked up all recommendations and the Xtherm was one of the ones I have been looking at. Trying to find a Exped UL7 now.

OP
B

bbenn

FNG
I've read reviews about the air valves and I'm a bit nervous about the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. Any of you guys have any problems? I wanted to pull the trigger and order a Klymit this am but would like a bit more feedback if possible.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've read reviews about the air valves and I'm a bit nervous about the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe. Any of you guys have any problems? I wanted to pull the trigger and order a Klymit this am but would like a bit more feedback if possible.
Did you read how easy it is to remedy the air valves? Pop them out, put a bead of gel super glue on them, pop them back in. Takes like a minute to do both valves.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Did you read how easy it is to remedy the air valves? Pop them out, put a bead of gel super glue on them, pop them back in. Takes like a minute to do both valves.

Can you do this fix before it leaks, or only after? I have a Klymit Static V and have not used it yet.

The Klymit wide bags are hard to beat for size and $$$. They are gaining popularity. At first when we tried these we didn't know if they would pop. The price was so cheap compared to other popular ones. But I have the non insulated 30" wide one going on 4 years now.
I do use a ground cloth always and clear ground prior to pitching tent.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can do it whenever. As preventive maintenance, or corrective maintenance lol
Can you do this fix before it leaks, or only after? I have a Klymit Static V and have not used it yet.

TexasCub

WKR
Check eBay, Klymit sells their stuff on there and they also have really good deals on refurbished. I picked my son up one of the refurbs and it’s been used a half a dozen times with zero issues.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Xtherm (wife has one too) has close to a 100 nights on it, it's been flawless and comfortable- the 5.9 R rating takes them comfortably down to about 10 (winter I typically bring a ccf pad in addition to the Xtherm)

I think mine is nearing the five year mark