3.8oz Groundsheet including stakes???

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
3'8" x 5'3"
"Water Resistant"
Built in mini-stakes

Thoughts on this as a footprint/ground sheet/meat-settin'-spot in place of tyvek or plastic sheeting? Lighter than my current tyvek piece, a bit smaller too, but the stakes are a good bonus imo.

oldgoat

WKR
Is the cost to weight savings worth it to you? Tyvek is pretty cheap, works perfect and if it gets messed up I can toss it and start over with a new piece.

Owenst7

WKR
2 mil painters cloth works for me for a whole season and is $2.97 for enough to cut 3 at 3'x7'.

Window shrink plastic us one of my go to options besides tyvek. Its way lighter and strong as hell. it tears easy but is really puncture proof. cut it in half and use for ground blanket the other half other half for meat blanket if needed or whatever. compresses small. . toss it after a season

I think this year I'm going to try and put Scotch tape or packing tape to seal the edges. That will prevent tearing and I will have almost the perfect tarp. Then I would just need stake down holes in it and it would last a long time

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

OP
Justin_the_EDG

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
2 mil painters cloth works for me for a whole season and is $2.97 for enough to cut 3 at 3'x7'.

What does the 3x7 piece weigh? My 5'x7' tyvek sheet weighs 6oz, a 55gal contractor bag (which I considered just slitting and using as a ground cloth) weighs 6.4oz, just for reference.

The real thing with that "blanket" from Matador is that I assumed it would be a more permanent solution while shaving a couple ounces and increasing functionality with the little stakes.

OP
Justin_the_EDG

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Window shrink plastic us one of my go to options besides tyvek. Its way lighter and strong as hell.

Kinda interesting sounding. You just buy big rolls and cut it? I'd be surprised though if it would be worth it to wrap the edges in tape. Seems like by that point it might be bulkier to fold up and heavier than most of the other options folks already know about. I could be wrong, no experience with it.

Owenst7

WKR
What does the 3x7 piece weigh? My 5'x7' tyvek sheet weighs 6oz, a 55gal contractor bag (which I considered just slitting and using as a ground cloth) weighs 6.4oz, just for reference.

The real thing with that "blanket" from Matador is that I assumed it would be a more permanent solution while shaving a couple ounces and increasing functionality with the little stakes.

I think 1.6 ounces (I only weighed it once for kicks). IIRC it's just a bit heavier than polycryo, but way cheaper and easier to source (paint section of WalMart or Home Depot). Balls up to about the size of a baseball. It also doesn't shrink from UV like polycryo.

I don't believe I've ever replaced one due to wear, I usually just trade them out for a clean one once I hit my truck with the first load of meat. I only carry one and use it for butchering. I suppose I could rinse it off, but it's not worth the hassle for $1.

OP
Justin_the_EDG

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I think 1.6 ounces (I only weighed it once for kicks). IIRC it's just a bit heavier than polycryo, but way cheaper and easier to source (paint section of WalMart or Home Depot). Balls up to about the size of a baseball. It also doesn't shrink from UV like polycryo.

Oh dang, lol. That's crazy light. And yeah, obviously it's about as cheap and easy to get as anything out there. Hmm...

Kinda interesting sounding. You just buy big rolls and cut it? I'd be surprised though if it would be worth it to wrap the edges in tape. Seems like by that point it might be bulkier to fold up and heavier than most of the other options folks already know about. I could be wrong, no experience with it.
i was skeptical at first of this. Tried it once and now hard pressed to go back to tyvek unless its bad NW conditions. 90% its the cryo. buy it at Home Deopt Lowes Wallmart in a big roll. cut to length. It lasts well to ground use just not tearing at the ends. weight is 1 oz ish id have to pull up my pack wt list to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk