Solo Shelter Reccos

Etexag

FNG
Hey guys I am looking at adding a solo shelter or tarp for backpack hunting. Mostly in the Rockies and potential for some adverse wind/ weather. What do y’all recommend. I most likely will use trekking poles for stakes to save weight. I already own a Sawtooth, so looking for something smaller and easy to set up solo. Also do you run a bug bivy? Thanks in advance!

I picked up a Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT for similar uses. Large and can accommodate a stove for one guy, but only weighs 2 lbs 3 oz with stakes and has enough room to bivy camp for 2. There’s s long thread on here about them, I haven’t used it to sleep in yet but several people claim they hold up fine to 60 mph winds and hail storms.

Most of the 10’x10’ tarps in the same $100 price range weigh just as much, so I didn’t see any reason not to go with the enclosed shelter.

Davebuech

WKR
I have been happy with my Supertarp. Has nearly as much floor space as my Sawtooth and sheds these high Co. winds without any issue, just like it's bigger brother. Trekking pole compatible, or cut a branch. I carry 6 MSR Ground hogs with it and the whole setup is just a shade over 22 oz., including guy lines. The annex adds another 5ish oz.

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
I have been happy with my Supertarp. Has nearly as much floor space as my Sawtooth and sheds these high Co. winds without any issue, just like it's bigger brother. Trekking pole compatible, or cut a branch. I carry 6 MSR Ground hogs with it and the whole setup is just a shade over 22 oz., including guy lines. The annex adds another 5ish oz.

I was originally leaning Super/para tarp and silvertip or LBO. These others are also interesting. Not being fully enclosed would be new for me.

I used to run a MLD cuben fiber SoloMid then, wanting to try out something a little bigger and from a different manufacture, I bought a Locus Gear Hapi, also in CF. So far, so good. It weighs 17 oz. (including stuff sacks, guy lines and stakes), is very spacious for one person but two people is also no problem, incredibly storm worthy, and sets up in a pinch.
113ff54c3ae98d9e5de45f151dcdcd57.jpg

b789b5632068eabd76ece1ac69dfa255.jpg

4697dbe7a64a45517c9e79a3579b6163.jpg

If your looking for something in silnylon and inexpensive the Mountainsmith LT is also a nice little shelter, and I have one that I would let go for a song if your interested.:)

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
I used to run a MLD cuben fiber SoloMid then, wanting to try out something a little bigger and from a different manufacture, I bought a Locus Gear Hapi, also in CF. So far, so good. It weighs 17 oz. (including stuff sacks, guy lines and stakes), is very spacious for one person but two people is also no problem, incredibly storm worthy, and sets up in a pinch.
113ff54c3ae98d9e5de45f151dcdcd57.jpg

b789b5632068eabd76ece1ac69dfa255.jpg

4697dbe7a64a45517c9e79a3579b6163.jpg

If your looking for something in silnylon and inexpensive the Mountainsmith LT is also a nice little shelter, and I have one that I would let go for a song if your interested.:)

Looks nice the Dyneema is appealing. Most of those have 5-6 weeks delivery though and I am planning on opening day. Maybe next year. MLD had a dyneema as well.

Graves14

WKR
I can’t say enough good things about my Hilleberg Akto. It’s big for a 1 man tent, 4 season worthy and when I want to cut weight I just run it without the inner and use a ground cloth.

OP
E

Etexag

FNG
The Hilleberg looks like a great tent. I am trying to decide if that is worth the extra weight.... I am leaning towards a Tarp Tent Notch right now.

PredatorX

WKR
Security in adverse conditions is always worth the weight!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk