Opinions on Mountain Shelter LT and a Quilt

Spooby44

FNG
Looking to change some things up from last year and wanted some opinions.

I went with a cheaper 3 season tent last yr and a USGI 3 season tent. I froze my butt off at night, mainly my face. And I HATE sleeping bags, I toss and im a side sleeper.

The plan this year is for us to set up a base camp with conventional tents and spike out when we want. For my spike camp I am thinking of getting a Mountain Shelter LT and a Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt on top of my sleeping pad, and nixing the sleeping bag. Ill prob bring a poncho liner as well. But this will be 3 day spikes at most so I wont have the weight of a full backpacking trip in my pack.

What are your thoughts on this spike setup?

desertcj

WKR
Mt shelter would be great, probably a little better than a tarp if its actually raining. If it's not raining, a tarp is about a pound lighter as a just in case type thing. I've never slept in an actual quilt, but my big agnes sleeping bag is basically like a quilt and a pad stuffed into a lightweight bivy. I think the mt shelter is a good deal for what it is and I actually want one myself.

I'm not sure why your face froze? I sleep in a beanie and often times have a bit of hair on my face too...lol

I think it will work. My biggest piece f advice is get a pillow thick enough for side sleeping. I need about 7 inches. You get that right and you will sleep like a baby

A floorless breathes for the most part by letting air under one side and out the other, this draft makes your face especially cold with a quilt and wind. I sleep a mummy with considerable room and loft(nemo riff) and can turn freely on my pad. Your bag might've been too small in the first place. Depending on where you hunt, it could work. I don't like to use at 10k or higher elevation in CO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got back from the caribou wilderness, I used a mountainsmith LT and a nemo salsa 15 degree as a quilt, 3/4 length pad. It was in the high 20s at night, and 70s during the day. I was too warm most the night, hence the bag as a quilt set-up. I did zip up in the early morning when the temp really dropped, but I do not feel as claustrophobic in the spoon shaped bags. I would have been fine with a proper quilt snapped around the pad though, I kept exposing body parts with the bag draped over me.

I was hunting last October and a cold snap and wind chill had it in the teens. I froze due to the windchill, until I pitched the shelter in the middle of the night to cut the wind. I cowboy camp a lot while hunting, but the winds really picked up part way through the night. Once the shelter was up I slept very warm. I used my wool blend beanie, a nylon baklava and a camo buff which really helped as well. A camo buff and beanie are pretty useful and do not take up much space in the pack, they have made a lot of hunts more comfortable when a cold snap moves in and are great for sleeping.

If you switch to a quilt make sure your pad has a higher R value. I liked the Mt shelter wish i never sold it

Mountain Shelter is solid.
I dont really like the shimmying in a tube type but it's a good choice.
I suggest a high r value pad and a lightweight bivy sack like the Jimmy tarps bivy.
Keeps you contained and the drafts out.

I’m running a Mountain Shelter this year, and was strongly considering a quilt. I just couldn’t get on board with the lack of a hood, I always cinch mine down tightly in addition to wearing a beanie when the temps really drop.

I ended up grabbing a Sea to Summit Trek TK II sleeping bag instead. It weighs 2 lbs 2 oz, is rated for 18 degrees at the EN lower limit (not survival), water resistant down, and has a square foot box that unzips separately, as well as the whole bag being able to unzip flat like a quilt.

Once you configure the Enlightened Equipment quilts the way most guys who have used them awhile suggest (0 degree, Long, X-Wide), they come in at 32 oz, so the weight savings isn’t really there over a lightweight down bag.

Check out the Sierra Designs quilt if you like a hood.
Idk if it's worth full price but if u qualify for expercity pretty good deal.

ljalberta

WKR
I used an LT shelter and an EE 10* revelation last year and will be running the same setup again this year sheep hunting. I paired this with an Xtherm pad and a Borah Ultralight Bivy. It kept me toasty warm, even against some incredible wind one night. I would definitely say if you're going the quilt route, go wider than you think, and warmer than you think. They're super easy to vent, and I appreciate the extra warmth and width. Also the 6.5 oz bivy was fantastic. It just help keep my sleep system together a little better when sleeping on awkward slopes, as well as provided just a tad extra wind protection.

The biggest downside for the LT shelter for me is how close the poles are together. It really is one of the best value shelters though.

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
I use same tent but I use the VIAM quilt, check them out they build a great quilt how ever you want it and fast...

Poser

WKR
Side and stomach sleeper here. I run a Goosefoot Gear (TiGoat) down pillow with a little extra loft and a built sleeve to stuff clothes in the bottom for extra loft.