Base camp mattress options

Jacack

WKR
Have a couple lightweight pads for packing in but going to use a base camp this year and have the luxury of weight not being a issue.

Looking at the exped mega mat 10 and the thermarest luxury map. Anyone have either ? If so what are your thoughts.

Thanks

Ursus1975

FNG
i use a blow up air mattress for wal mart also, its cheap , sleeps great , just try one out at home and see how it feels you not out much money plus you may can use it when the mother in law comes to visit.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Skip the rei camprest. I have two. One wouldn’t hold air and I took it home and soaped it up to figure out why. No punctures or bad valves, but rather about 10,000 pinhole bubbles on the top of the mat. It appeared to me the fabric failed. My second one, used and stored identically, works perfectly. Took the defective one back to rei today and since it’s more than a year old they said ‘no exchange’. So glad I cancelled my membership...

Skip the rei camprest. I have two. One wouldn’t hold air and I took it home and soaped it up to figure out why. No punctures or bad valves, but rather about 10,000 pinhole bubbles on the top of the mat. It appeared to me the fabric failed. My second one, used and stored identically, works perfectly. Took the defective one back to rei today and since it’s more than a year old they said ‘no exchange’. So glad I cancelled my membership...

+1.

I bought a pair of them for me and my wife. After a year and ~10 nights of usage mine developed the same issue. I called them and explained my situation, just wanting an exchange at that point and I was told that if I purchased over a year ago theres nothing they could do. Went online, luckily I was two days! away from it being a year. Because of their attitude toward an obviously defective product, I decided to return both. I ended up going with two thermarest mondokings. As they are for car camping/base camp I'm not concerned with weight.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a super plush double sized alternative to the Walmart/Coleman inflatable check out lightspeed air beds. Costco sells them seasonally, or they are available on Amazon. Super comfortable, lighter weight than traditional Coleman style air mattress and we have probably 75-100 nights on ours with no leaks. For a really plush set up (and when space and weight allow), pair it with a double cot!

Jay03

WKR
I have the exped mega mat 10, its very nice and very warm! I got it for winter time camping. Not hiking in obviously but truck camping and day hunts. Seems pretty durable as well.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got the Thermarest Luxury Map XL. Love it. Put one on a cot and it's like sleeping on a real bed. Very durable, well built, warm...R value is at 6.8 so it'll take you down really cold. But I've slept on it at 70 degrees and not been too hot. I like mine a touch underinflated.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
spendy, but bombproof, and super comfortable. Check out paco-pad by Jack's Plastic Welding. You can find a limited selection on amazon. Check out models on their website to figure out what you want. Colorado Kayak Supply carries them as well as NRS I believe.