Question for you EXPED pad users!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I just picked up my first EXPED, a Synmat HL M.

Who uses the dry bag/scnozzel inflating bag? Does anyone just blow it up by mouth? Does manually blowing it up harm the insulation? I watched the videos from exped about it and understand the premise of keeping moisture out, just wondering if anyone is leaving the 2.6 ounce bag at home...

Thanks

I have the same pad and use the schnozzle bag. Fully inflated way faster than blowing through the nozzle and less than 3 bags of air. The bag is pretty thin so I’ve never used it for anything except blowing up the pad but it is large enough you could keep most of the stuff in an average size pack dry if you needed to. Attachment to the pad is very secure using an interlocking nozzle that fits right into the pad nozzle.

I've got the tall version, and use the bag, I guess I still need more practice, cause it takes me about 5-8 tries with air in the bag to blow it up. One night I just blew it up and it wasn't bad. I bring the snozzle and plan to use it, I just need to figure how to get maximum air in it.

The moisture issue is more important if you have one of the down epeds. The synthetics are less of an issue. That being said, I use the schnozzle as it seems much faster to me. If you are worried about the weight, throw your puffy or extra clothes in it for a pillow so it will be duel purposed.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just picked up my first EXPED, a Synmat HL M.

Who uses the dry bag/scnozzel inflating bag? Does anyone just blow it up by mouth? Does manually blowing it up harm the insulation? I watched the videos from exped about it and understand the premise of keeping moisture out, just wondering if anyone is leaving the 2.6 ounce bag at home...

Thanks

I’ve had my exped for probably 5 seasons and always have blown it up by mouth. Never had an issue. This spring, my wife and I had a competition to see which was quicker using the dry bag and by mouth, mouth was considerably quicker and less work overall.

Rokwiia

WKR
I have three of their winter pads, two DownMat 9 and one SynMat 9. I always use the schnozzle as any moisture in the pad will freeze if used in 32F and below.

What I don't know is how long residual moisture will last in a pad. A week? A month? I don't know. The point is why ever chance a failure if success is achieved by simply using the schnozzle. It takes very little time to inflate it.

ryanbauman23

Lil-Rokslider
I use the schnozzle as well and find it easier than blowing up the pad. Like someone else mentioned, I then put my puffy and extra clothes inside and use as a pillow.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I’ve had my exped for probably 5 seasons and always have blown it up by mouth. Never had an issue. This spring, my wife and I had a competition to see which was quicker using the dry bag and by mouth, mouth was considerably quicker and less work overall.

You blew it up by mouth faster than the schnozzle bag!?
I’m impressed! The bag is fast as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have three of their winter pads, two DownMat 9 and one SynMat 9. I always use the schnozzle as any moisture in the pad will freeze if used in 32F and below.

What I don't know is how long residual moisture will last in a pad. A week? A month? I don't know. The point is why ever chance a failure if success is achieved by simply using the schnozzle. It takes very little time to inflate it.

Yeah, weight and moisture damaging the insulation was my only concern. I’ve never used a pad that recommended not blowing it up because it moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Human breath introduces very high levels of moisture (humidity) and some bacteria which is normal and unavoidable. There's nothing positive about that. Whether it leads to reduced performance or damage?....can't say. I'm definitely going to avoid it and always use the Schnozzel. I bought that bag after growing frustrated with filling my big Downmat 9LW. It works exactly like they show on the video. If there's something faster than the Schnozzel I don't need it.

Use the schnozzel, its fast, and keeps moisture out. Use it as a bag to organize your stuff too.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk