A sleeping pad for a side sleeper?

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Sea to Summit Ultralight sleeping pad. By itself I can feel the ground on my side but combined with a Thermarest Z-Lite I get my best sleep in the back country. Perfect amount of cushion to benefit from the firmness of ground but not feel the hardness of the ground (if that makes sense).
The simulated bed coil design is very comfortable. The only comparable sleeping experience is my canvas cutter 3” foam pad. The Z-Lite adds weight but for the quality of sleep I get, it is well worth it. Also as previously mentioned, their valve system can’t be beat.

Swampr42

FNG
I have been using the Nemo Astro Air-Lite Insulated pad. I have the long wide model and it may be a bit heavy at 23oz but it's also 3.5" thick and makes no noise at night. I'm also a side sleeper and this pad is very comfortable and my hip never touches the ground.

Another Nemo user here. I used to have a klymit and hated the thing. Bought a Nemo tensor and love it! Best sleep I’ve had in the woods short of a hammock. Only downside is it takes twice as long to inflate as my klymit did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Not a big guy, but 100% side sleeper and toss and turn. I love my exped wintermat UL

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for all the info guys. I ordered the Comfort Plus and the Nemo. I will report back on which one works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Exped Downmat UL7 for the cold, Synmat HL for everything else. Love this combo and I'm a side sleeper.

Bones

WKR
Ryan, just wanted to see if you had a report on which one you liked better. I have been having the same hip pain issue after a couple days on my x-therm, so looking to pick something else up. Look forward to hearing which you liked better. I haven't found anyone else that had the issues you and I have with the x-therm, so going to go with whichever worked better for you.

Love my Exped. Keeps you off the ground and the material is not as plasticy as some of the others.

Not sure where the quote went. The haha was about the guy that made a comment about hunting with 1 boot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

aion2come

WKR
Am 6'1" 200 lbs , a side sleeper. Have an exped synmat 7 that is super comfy and super heavy. Wanted to try something lighter. Was going to go with the sea to summit insulated ultralight because it had a 40D fabric. Now, reading this, I wonder if that is the right choice. Also looked at the Nemo Tensor. Don't like the 20D fabric.

Any thoughts? Will the Sea to Summit be thick enough for me? Or do I risk a puncture and go with the Tensor?

how does everyone with the klymit static v luxe fit in a tent with another person? Doesn't the pad take up most of the floor space and not leave enough room for the other guy? Being it's 30 inches wide?

i'm also a side sleeper and one thing you might want to try is putting a pillow between your legs. it keeps your hips in alignment through the night and helps a ton with hip pain. i have one of those inflatable hour glass shaped pillows that i use. it was $7.99 on amazon and packs down to the size of an apple. moon lence i think is the company and it's basically a sea to summit knockoff.

Bones

WKR
i'm also a side sleeper and one thing you might want to try is putting a pillow between your legs. it keeps your hips in alignment through the night and helps a ton with hip pain. i have one of those inflatable hour glass shaped pillows that i use. it was $7.99 on amazon and packs down to the size of an apple. moon lence i think is the company and it's basically a sea to summit knockoff.
Thanks for the idea. Will try that for sure. So many people like the xtherm and have no issues, but just hasn't been working for me after a couple days.