Cimmeron center pole options

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a SO cimmeron in the classifieds and am trying to figure out the best pole option. I have considered the carbon pole, an REI tarp pole, trekking pole extension, or just trying to cut a stick on site when setting up. We are preparing for our first true backpack hunt so there’s definitely a newby factor to be considered. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the trekking pole with extension. I have also cut a pole as well and that worked good. Whatever option keeps me from carrying too much extra is my favorite lol

Graves14

WKR
I use 2 trekking poles. I remove the smallest section (part that goes into the ground) of one pole and i set the spike at the bottom into the open hole of the second. Now you have a handle at both ends and it’s adjustable. Works great for me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the rei pole in my silvertip and when buy a cimarron that will be my choice. I bought the trekking pole attachment from SO and if you want it it is yours just pay for shipping.

Ten Bears

WKR
I have the carbon 72' pole from Mountain Laurel Designs, at 4ish ounces it still feels tough enough.

tttoadman

WKR
I have the REI 7/8" pole for the Cimmaron and the Silvertip. You can cut these down to be reasonably short and efficient for packing. We broke the smaller REI pole first time out in heavy winds. I also can put my trekking poles together for the silvertip. I will do this as long as there is no chance of snow.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would have Jon at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs make you a custom one out of aluminum. You can get a fixed length, or have an adjustable one made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
I have cut a pole for many years for other tipi style shelters, 7 ft is about as long as is practical to cut. I carried an old leather glove to put over the top of the pole for protection.

length was never an issue for us. I would erect the tipi while sam cut a pole and when I got finished he sent the pole in and I would test it for length - sometimes I sent it back out and had an inch or so cut off and sometimes we put a rock under it and went to sleep.

KJH

WKR
I use a dead stick / limb. I really like something between 2 and 3 inches around. Then I screw in a couple of small rubberized hangers so I can easily hang my socks or gloves on it to dry easier. Plus I can hang a headlamp there while I sleep and always know exactly where it is. I took a bow hanger last year with a swivel 6-8 inch arm and then hung a propane lantern on it... all the heat I needed and plenty of light.

I don't use hiking poles since I use them when hunting and packing meat... I don't take my tent down everyday.

I've had good luck with the small rei pole but I may look at something a little burlier. I definitely want a pole that is adjustable.

TexasCub

WKR
I’m using the rei pole, I did do the two trekking pole mod on one trip but found that the clamp suffered quite a bit of stress on my trekking pole, it was like bending and colllapsing. If my trekking pole extension clamps were aluminum it might not be as much of an issue. For my silver tip I use one pole with an extension piece that makes one pole longer and it works great.

Single pole extension from luxe

Middle-Link Extension Sections (T-32 and T-45) for Trekking Poles

– Luxe Hiking Gear

I would have Jon at Bear Paw Wilderness Designs make you a custom one out of aluminum. You can get a fixed length, or have an adjustable one made.

John made me a custom pole for my Tut and it was excellent. Saved about a half pound over stock and worked just as well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have the pole, it almost always stays home and I cut a stick. Upside to a stick is you can leave a few short branches on for a place to hang headlamp, etc.

I have or have used a carbon pole, trekking pole adapter by luxe, aluminum pole by REI, and cut a pole in field.

There are downsides to them all. But what I have found is that my go to is usually the trekking poles adapted together. If Im going to leave camp up, then Ill cut a pole. The adapter weighs next to nothing and I already have the trek poles with me anyways so Im not double dipping on the weight category. If I am going to be with more than just me as I usually go solo, Ill bring the carbon pole because now were spreading weight out over multiple people. If im going with 3+ i run the red cliff and nest as well.

The aluminum poles are heavy, and I thought they would be great for crazy wind. But I was wrong.

Cutting a pole in the field is not always 1. good to do and 2. easy to do. In situations where I do not have the hand saw, or the area I am in is more desert, Ill make sure I bring the carbon pole. After all, it still weighs less than the hand saw.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have far more faith in an aluminum pole in high winds than I do a carbon pole. Ymmv

Whitty

FNG
I have the SO carbon pole for mine and it works great...I'll admit I haven't tried any other options and their pole isn't exactly cheap but it is very light and 2 of the pieces slide inside the other 2 so all you are packing in is 2 parts if that makes sense.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an SO carbon pole for my LBO that I'm probably going to sell, but yes, it does break down into just two parts.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, I was able to modify the end of one of my trekking poles so I can take out the bottom section of one and slide the other pole in tip first. Essentially doing the same as the Luxe product. I set everything up this evening and so far I’m very pleased. I’ll get pics tomorrow.