ISO new sleeping bag... for a "big guy" LOL

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I need a new fart sack.... :D
I"m a big guy, 6ft 1in, 295..I just had my wife measure around my chest and upper arms and I'm 61in up there, 44in around my belly button (no arms) and 38in hips...(I wear a 2xl dress shirt, or a 3xl t-shirt since t-shirts are now "athletic cut"...) I know, I'm shaped like Shrek... :)
My old bag was a slumberjack oversized bag. Yes, I know it's ancient...and heavy... hence this post.

I live in Oregon, and it's.... damp.. a LOT.. so I'm thinking synthetic and 20 degree.. I'm a side sleeper, I've tried quilts (actually ran a Doobie for a bit) and I just can't keep them in place, because I roll around a lot.

Recommendations? Ideas?

Maybe call Kifaru and get one of their Slick bags. They can probably even make it any size you want within reason. I know they've made 28" duplex frames for tall guys. All they list on their website is 26's.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
I'm generally the same size look at big agnus park series. I have two of them and I wear a 3xl shirt and sleep great in them

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
YUP, big agnes hog. I had one a few months back and there was so much room in it, im 6'3" and right at 3 bills so you should have some room to move around in there. I sold it due to the fact it was big even packed though, took up alot of room in my pack and weighed about 6 pounds...

EastMT

WKR
I ran into this problem with my dad. He is 68” around at the arms, most bags are in the 64” range. I ordered the Enlightened equipment long/wide. It’s 74” around, 6’6” long, 32 oz for a 20 deg bag in downtec. They make down or synthetic, but very roomy in the large sizes. Good luck.

Went with the BA encampment for the security of synthetic on the wet coast.
Bit tough getting used to the no insulation on the bottom but packs down decently and is a really really big bag!
It's a 15 degree and brother of the down filled summit park

nickstone

WKR
I ran into this problem with my dad. He is 68” around at the arms, most bags are in the 64” range. I ordered the Enlightened equipment long/wide. It’s 74” around, 6’6” long, 32 oz for a 20 deg bag in downtec. They make down or synthetic, but very roomy in the large sizes. Good luck.

Do you know what model you ordered? I'm not seeing one with those specs on the EE website, but that sounds like what I'm looking for

geriggs

WKR
I have a couple of BA park series down bags and the a BA Encampment W/L. Its a synthetic 15 deg bag. Im 6'1" and 280ish. 53 in chest. They all work great. None are light but 4 pounds ish. Very comfortable with a good pad.

EastMT

WKR
Do you know what model you ordered? I'm not seeing one with those specs on the EE website, but that sounds like what I'm looking for

It’s the Convert, go look at that model, then click on the specs while in that page. You then custom order the size you want, color, thickness of fabric used, etc.

I will also add on with the BA Park series bags. I have the Summit as well. Great bag. I use a quilt now (EE Long / Extra wide), but keep the bag as well.

Dude! I am a big just like you and I didn't want to spend $700 on a top of the line western mountaineering.

I bought the Outdoor Vitals 0 degree in size Long (6'6") for $250 on amazon and it is outstanding! It's a perfect fit and I am 6'3". I recently used it in Oregon where it was about 39 degrees when I woke up by the lake and it was very wet+cold feeling outside.

Someone mentioned that bag on rokslide so do a search and see what others have to say as well.

It's a down bag, which I like because I don't seem to get warm with my old synthetic 0 degree bag. If you are worried about moisture, try a bivy.

EastMT

WKR
I considered this bag prior to the 2 I have, my biggest problem was that it has a dwr finish on the outside instead of treated down. I know how long the dwr finish on hunting clothes lasts, and that made me nervous. It looks like a solid bag, I would love one if it had both dwr and treated down.

I have read you can use Nikwax downproof to treat your own bag making it similar to the expensive ones, but I decided not to try it.