Tent Hunting Questions

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Guys. I know this sort of thing has probably been beat to death, but I figured I'd post on here and give everybody something to do. I need a tent, I do backpack a little just for recreation, but mostly for hunting. So far my friends have a couple tents that we've shared, and I did buy a tarptent protrail for when there's not room. But, my kids are getting older and starting to want to come along. I love this idea and would like to invest in something useful. Mostly I pack in on my back, but occasionally I will pack with some goats, but I want a tent light enough for backpacking, and preferably light enough for a single person to carry as I may be packing my own gear and my kids for some time. I like regular floored tents because a lot of my camping is summer/archery season and I hate getting crawled on by carpenter ants. However recently I went with a friend who had a seek outside tipi with a insect mesh netting. The flexibility of setup and space for gear was appealing. This was pretty slick, but too large for a pack. I was thinking something like a cimmaron with a mesh side for summer might be a good choice? Will that be too heavy for me to carry myself? Is there anything similar that's not so expensive that I should look at? Should I just buy a 3 person backpacking tent? I like the idea of a wood stove for future hunts, but probably would use it very rarely. Also if this matters I'm not going to use my trekking poles to pitch it, those things are far to valuable for me to have in my pack.

So if you're bored and have an opinion on what direction I should look please fire away.

Thank You,

Jake

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Oh I should add, I have 3 sons, 5,4 and 1. Not sure what the means for the future, but if It can sleep 1 adult and 2 kids comfortably that will probably get me by for quite a while.

jmez

WKR
Tarpgent Cloudburst 3. Great tent for backpacking and has a lot of room.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Graves14

WKR
I I’ve my Cimarron and it is super easy to pack. I think it weighs around 3lbs and there’s a TON of room in there. Paired with a nest to avoid the bugs if you prefer that would give you a ton of options.

If you want the option of going floorless for a bit less cost. Bearpaw Wilderness Designs tents are a bit cheaper. He will build nests for them as well. We have the luna 6 and have slept 4 regular people comfortably before. We ended up getting the screen door and screen sills in ours. Even fully loaded with a stove jack, it was considerably less than some of the big name tipi's. He's a one man shop and can do pretty much whatever you request.

Best part is that it is light, lighter than most standard 2 man backpacking tents. Not sure what the nest weighs though.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Graves what do you run for a pole? Thanks for the ideas.

oldgoat

WKR
If you get a shelter that's stove capable, you will want to use it more than you might think! I've used floorless for three years now in Colorado and haven't once had problems with bugs, but I pretty much only use it in September, but have tarped out a few times in summer. I have a Kifaru Sawtooth and love it, would be plenty of room for you and three kids, it's like 2.5# I think including aluminum pole.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks oldgoat, I was looking at the sawtooth, is it easy to set up with the more complex shape? I love kifaru stuff, but man it's not free.

oldgoat

WKR
Thanks oldgoat, I was looking at the sawtooth, is it easy to set up with the more complex shape? I love kifaru stuff, but man it's not free.

If you follow the instructions it's pretty easy, and they have the instructions in the bag with the stakes. I have less trouble pitching it correctly than I do the little two man tipi I use when I go solo. They also have a video that helps on Kifaru YouTube channel. Kifaru does a good job with putting markers on their shelters for the setback points. The liner is money, if you buy one, get the liner, it not only helps control condensation, it actually makes the shelter habitable in full sun, reflects the sun rays to an extent, without it, it's a sauna in full sun without the liner!

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the Kifaru Tut? Is it actually big enough for 2 plus a stove?

Thanks