Ruby mountains in October

Braaap

WKR
I'll be hunting the Rubies for the first time this year and I'm unsure of what temps/weather to expect mid to late October. I only have a 35 deg sleeping bag and I'm guessing I might need something warmer. My plan is to backpack in several miles, high elevation.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Congrats. Ill be hunting same area same time of year. Im going to run a 15* sleeping bag. I ran a 25* quilt two years ago and on a couple of nights, had to wear a puffy. Felt more confident this time with a 15*.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Thank you, that's what I needed to know. Now I need to figure out if I should go with a 15-20 or maybe a 0 to give myself more of difference from what I currently have.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
You'll definitely want more bag than that regardless of how lucky you get with the unpredictable October weather. Even right now the temperatures will be hitting the upper 30's at night, despite the 90 degree daytime temperatures. I've been out there in September and had snow and temperatures in the teens at night. If you're going up in any elevation, I'd plan on at minimum a 20 degree bag and some warm layers to add.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Thank you, that's very helpful info. I think I'll look at some 0 or 15 bags.

Thank you, that's what I needed to know. Now I need to figure out if I should go with a 15-20 or maybe a 0 to give myself more of difference from what I currently have.

Is your 35* bag an EN 35 ?

If not then I’d go with a 15* bag and liner. a roomy bag will allow you to wear a puffy if needed.

Typically add 10-15* if not en tested and if en tested add less degrees the higher the quality insulation

You'll definitely want more bag than that regardless of how lucky you get with the unpredictable October weather. Even right now the temperatures will be hitting the upper 30's at night, despite the 90 degree daytime temperatures. I've been out there in September and had snow and temperatures in the teens at night. If you're going up in any elevation, I'd plan on at minimum a 20 degree bag and some warm layers to add.

Totally agree.

Only downside is a 0* bag gets both heavy and costly for my personal preference and for size and weight for almost no penalty I can jump to a -10* bag that will get me to a comfy 0 or add a liner and a puffy and I’m comfy at -10*.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
My bag is EN comfort temp rating 37F, EN limit temp rating 27F.

I found a few 15 and 20 bags that are fairly light for a decent price so I'll probably go that route.

Owenst7

WKR
I'll be up there in a few weeks hunting snowcock. If you want to send me a message after labor day I can give you some updates. I would plan for wind and snow and lows in the teens. I use a WM Antelope that is hot at 5°F and have never needed more bag for hunting season in Nevada. The REI Igneo? (Whatever their 10-15° down bag is) is legit and a great value. One of my hunting partners uses it in the same conditions as me and has been comfortable. Kelty cosmic is a great bag too (I have one as a loaner).

It was hitting low 40s at night the two times I've been up there in the last month.

What tag do you have?

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Sierra Designs Backcountry bed 35. I've only used it in the summer in the Sierra's. It's a cool design and has me interested in quilt style bags now. I had a traditional mummy style bag before and much prefer the Backcountry bed. I'm a side sleeper and move a lot in my sleep.

OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Just realized you asked what tag I have, no what bag I have lol.

I have a bull elk depredation tag that opens Oct 1st and the mid season deer tag Oct 17-30. I'm planning on hunting the first 5 days in October for elk and then the last week for deer. Elk tag runs through Jan 31 but I really want to knock one down before things get real cold.

desertcj

WKR
I drove by there on my way to Wyoming last October. It was colder than a meat locker! There was snow in the mountains. Spent a couple nights in central Nevada on the valley floor and temps hit 19 degrees. Sounds like a COOL hunt...lol.

ckrhtr

FNG
I have been hunting out of Jackpot at 8-10k for the last several years during Oct and have seen temps reach the single digits multiple times. After last year I invested in a WM Antelope MF bag, the comfort rating is at 13 degrees which I think will be adequate. The weather can be very hit and miss during that time of year but I think it is better to be a little over prepared that under especially when you are 6-10 miles from the truck.

Owenst7

WKR
I have been hunting out of Jackpot at 8-10k for the last several years during Oct and have seen temps reach the single digits multiple times. After last year I invested in a WM Antelope MF bag, the comfort rating is at 13 degrees which I think will be adequate. The weather can be very hit and miss during that time of year but I think it is better to be a little over prepared that under especially when you are 6-10 miles from the truck.

I used that bag (mine's the GWS version) just across the basin in the Jarbidge Wilderness for 13 days last October. Lowest we saw was the teens. I did a couple sheep hunts later on where it hit single digits and I was fine.

Definitely use a good pad. I started the Jarbidge trip with a R-1.3 pad and it impacted my sleep. I grabbed a Ridgerest to layer under it during one of our packouts and then I was hot. I think R3 is probably the minimum you'd want in those temps.

Last edited:
OP
Braaap

Braaap

WKR
Thanks everyone for all the info, it's super helpful. I have a nice pad, neoair xtherm with R-5.7, and I just ordered a low-mid grade 20 deg sleeping bag (I'm on a fairly tight budget). I'll see how it goes this year and adjust/upgrade next year. I'm new to NV and the Ruby's so this year will be a learning experience. All of my previous backcountry hunts were in B zone in CA (Yolla Bolly and the Marbles).