Quilt + bag combo?

I just ordered an EE quilt with a 30 degree rating to be my “down to freezing” bag. It is intended to supplant a 20-30 degree mummy bag that I find too hot and a bit constraining in non freezing weather.

I was wondering who may have tried a quilt over a bag to go into lower temps. If I put my 30 degree quilt over a bag with the same rating I wonder what it would add to the rating?

I had thought to buy a dedicated winter bag but I don’t see enough really cold weather in my AO to need it. The EE plus my current bag would be about 4.5 pounds so a bit of a weight penalty but I wonder if it would work and how well. Am I crazy. Could I do 10 degrees? Zero?

murf45

WKR
I’ve used two quilts in cold weather and it worked really well. It was a EE 0 & 20 deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowplow

WKR
Thats my plan this year. Havent tried it yet. 20* mummy + 50* quilt as needed. Not sure if inside or over the top yet. I feel good about it though.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

murf45

WKR
Thats my plan this year. Havent tried it yet. 20* mummy + 50* quilt as needed. Not sure if inside or over the top yet. I feel good about it though.

I would keep the quilt on top so it keeps its loft.

snowplow

WKR
Thats the plan and its synthetic over a down bag which should help with any water.

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, I tried a 20* Revelation APEX + a Woobie down to 14* and I was still chilly. Granted, not the exact same, but it gives you an idea. My problem was keeping them all together. The slick materials kept wanting to slide off of me and I had a hard time keeping drafts out. Obviously a little different with a mummy bag. I don't plan on trying that again in Colorado this November; I'm just going to order a WM bag for cold weather and be done with it.

Ntgm37

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, I tried a 20* Revelation APEX + a Woobie down to 14* and I was still chilly. Granted, not the exact same, but it gives you an idea. My problem was keeping them all together. The slick materials kept wanting to slide off of me and I had a hard time keeping drafts out. Obviously a little different with a mummy bag. I don't plan on trying that again in Colorado this November; I'm just going to order a WM bag for cold weather and be done with it.

Thanks for this. I have the same setup im about to try with a canvas cutter. I figure the CC will help keep the layers on me.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used a down quilt in a bag to go below 0 from a 20 degree bag