Bivies...Borah Gear, Jimmy Tarps, or??

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm waiting patiently for borah to start making event material bivy again

Iv got a good handful of days on a borah UL side zip, and think it's just okay. I do miss full waterproof protection, I also miss a more thought out hood and entrance on the bivy. I do appreciate the light weight and the cut of the borah though. Keeps all my stuff together, protects my pad, and keeps me on my pad, as I'm a very active sleeper.

I wanted an MLD Bivy but the cost and wait time pushed me to a Katabatic Bristlecone. I like the design of these two because of the location/size of mesh used. It is a good balance offering condensation protection on top of the head end, good general coverage elsewhere, and sufficient mesh still above your face.

Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using both the BG and TiGoat bivy’s now for several years and couldn’t be happier (at least I don’t think I could be happier). Just spent 11 nights in both, me in the BG and my son in the Kestrel, and even in the worst weather for condensation, we had no issues whatsoever. Pictures don’t depict the worst weather we had, but trust me, we had some very wet weather.
62c37152ef13f1ee788af219aeb81c29.jpg

653e40382f0970202682a6441b333c59.jpg

Who makes that cuben fiber floorless?

Mine is the side zip “Aragon 67” material. Wish the side zip went further down the side or even down both sides like the raven but not a deal breaker. I’m sure that’s something he could easily do for you and that would make quick exits much easier for you

Thanks for this. Just ordered a custom side zip with double length zipper.

Floorguy

WKR
I’ve been using both the BG and TiGoat bivy’s now for several years and couldn’t be happier (at least I don’t think I could be happier). Just spent 11 nights in both, me in the BG and my son in the Kestrel, and even in the worst weather for condensation, we had no issues whatsoever. Pictures don’t depict the worst weather we had, but trust me, we had some very wet weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Borah gear back when he was using m90 and have liked it. I have been looking at picking a bivy up for my son and saw the kestrel. Any pros or cons over the borah gear bivy?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Any pros or cons over the borah gear bivy?

Just one con IMO, and that is the smaller foot box on the Kestrel. I originally bought the Kestrel for myself but since getting the BG bivy, my son is the only one that uses it now.

Floorguy

WKR
Just one con IMO, and that is the smaller foot box on the Kestrel. I originally bought the Kestrel for myself but since getting the BG bivy, my son is the only one that uses it now.

That is good to know. It'll probably work out then my son is 11 and my daughter is 9 and my youngest is 4 so if they outgrow it I can pass it down to the next one.

That is good to know. It'll probably work out then my son is 11 and my daughter is 9 and my youngest is 4 so if they outgrow it I can pass it down to the next one.

It will definitely work for you, as it did for me for several years, I just found the BG to be a bit more comfortable with the larger foot box.

My issue with my Enlightened Equipment Recon is its not tall enough. With an Xtherm and a pillow my face touches the bug mesh! Other than that it's about perfect! Very well made. I'm going to see if EE can make me a custom one that about six inches taller. I like watching Netflix at night and there's no way I can do that in this bivy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My issue with my Enlightened Equipment Recon is its not tall enough. With an Xtherm and a pillow my face touches the bug mesh! Other than that it's about perfect! Very well made. I'm going to see if EE can make me a custom one that about six inches taller. I like watching Netflix at night and there's no way I can do that in this bivy.

MLD BUG BIVY 2 | Mountain Laurel Designs | Super Ultra Light Backpacking & Wilderness Equipment

Might want to look into one of these ^. Similar to the EE, a little more protection on sides and shouldn’t have issues with mesh on face.

Floorguy

WKR

I think a nest would probably work better with the whole streaming netflix requirement.