Kifaru tarp annex

superA

WKR
For the para tarp and super tarps are any of you guys using the annex? Just curious how those work and how much weight they add. I'm looking at getting one since my son took over the DST tarp but I can't imagine needing the annex if I have a bivy.

FlyGuy

WKR
I primarily want it to run a Smith cylinder stove with. The extra wind and rain protection is nice but not necessary, especially if you have that covered with the bivy. If you have a bivy but do not have a stove, then you probably don't need it.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

If you are in a real shit storm and want 4 walls to keep changing winds, spindrift, or spray off of you, get it. I imagine lots of heat will be wasted by running a stove at the end of a 3 sided shelter....

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
You can set the stove up just outside the tarp with an open end you don't need a vestabule to use a stove
Have you done this before? Was it effective? The point of the stove and chimney is so that you can have the heat source INSIDE your shelter w/o dying of monoxide. If your heat source is outside the shelter where there is plenty of ventilation, then why not just build a small fire near the opening and save the weight of the stove and the trouble of setting it up? A fire, especially with a hastily made backwall of some stones to reflect heat towards the shelter, seems like it would be a far more effective solution to me? What am I missing? I'm really curious to know how well this has worked out for you or others in the past.

I know it seams counterintuitive but you get plenty of heat radiating into the shelter. Sure its slightly less than with the front on but its a trade off.With the annex in place the condensation builds incredibly fast once the fire goes out and it feels claustrophobic as hell (to me) when the end is closed up

Jesseg122

FNG
Anyone have the dimensions and measurements of the paratarp annex? Wanting to make one but I'm having a hard time finding any info on the annex to start the process on making one

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
You can get the stove
Have you done this before? Was it effective? The point of the stove and chimney is so that you can have the heat source INSIDE your shelter w/o dying of monoxide. If your heat source is outside the shelter where there is plenty of ventilation, then why not just build a small fire near the opening and save the weight of the stove and the trouble of setting it up? A fire, especially with a hastily made backwall of some stones to reflect heat towards the shelter, seems like it would be a far more effective solution to me? What am I missing? I'm really curious to know how well this has worked out for you or others in the past.

With support for the pipe and running the guy lines off the pipe, you can tip the pipe at a pretty good angle and get the stove well into the front of a Supertarp even without the annex. I've done it and it works--learned it from a post on the old Kifaru message board. Have never tried an open fire in front of a Supertarp w/out annex so I can't compare with firsthand knowledge.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience here is what I found...the annex added little weight like 8oz...it performed flawlessly and sealed you in nicely....kept wind and rain out....the stove pipe needed a little extra support as I recall...set up worked as designed but is not for old guys bodies too much crawling and bending👍902F816F-4A24-4E6F-ADC8-139A95DBE812.jpeg

Totally agree with Ross regarding age and crawling into shelters. Used a Super Tarp and Mega Tarp with and without stoves and realized I like the Tut 100x better since I don’t have to crawl into my shelter. It’s hands down an improvement over the tarp and stove set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk