Enlightened Equipment Convert?

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone running a EE Convert? On the fence about them. Want to try a quilt and feel like this could be a great option. Also what’s your build like and what size do you use? I’m 6’2 210 with an athletic build if anyone wants to help me decide on a size.

Thanks

murf45

WKR
I’m 6’ 180lbs. I use a reg LxW 0 deg quilt for everything. My bag is just big enough. You might want to go with a long and wide option. There are times I wish my bag was a little wider. If I was a little taller my bag would be short. That being said I love my bag and have used it from 5-50 deg. If you’re consistently in wet weather I would steer clear of down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered one a few weeks ago but haven’t gotten it yet. I am 6-3 250. (Semi) athletic build. I wanted some width to it so went a little bigger. Long wide. I will let you know my thoughts when it arrives but it could be a few weeks.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies.

Desk Jockey did you order the convert in the wide or xwide? The xwide convert looks like it would give a lot more room in quilt mode over the traditional quilt as it has the extra to wrap all the way around you.

murf45 I am looking synthetic. Does your treated down not preform like you would like?

murf45

WKR
Thanks for the replies.

Desk Jockey did you order the convert in the wide or xwide? The xwide convert looks like it would give a lot more room in quilt mode over the traditional quilt as it has the extra to wrap all the way around you.

murf45 I am looking synthetic. Does your treated down not preform like you would like?

The treated down works great if your dealing with a little condensation. If you’re dealing with constant wet conditions and heavy condensation day after day I would be more concerned.

Long extra wide. Apex version. 30 degree. I wanted to keep it around 2 pounds.

I plan to use this for warmer wethaer down to freezing. Maybe a little below.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
The treated down works great if your dealing with a little condensation. If you’re dealing with constant wet conditions and heavy condensation day after day I would be more concerned.

Are you using yours in a floorless or under a tarp? If so is the condensation from a single wall shelter enough to worry about or would the down be good?

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Long extra wide. Apex version. 30 degree. I wanted to keep it around 2 pounds.

I plan to use this for warmer wethaer down to freezing. Maybe a little below.

If you don’t mind could you post some pics and your initial impressions of it once you receive it? I am looking at a 20 degree. The weight is a little more but I should be able to use it into the late season with a stove in my Cimarron.

murf45

WKR
Are you using yours in a floorless or under a tarp? If so is the condensation from a single wall shelter enough to worry about or would the down be good?

Using under a flat tarp set up in A-frame configuration and under a sawtooth. I wouldn’t be concerned about average condensation on the quilt, they dry out quick. I now use an ultralight Bivy made out of silnylon made by mtn laurel designs and that seems to help a lot with wet conditions. It also acts as my ground cloth. If you’re hunting in Colorado and have a few days of rain I wouldn’t be concerned in the least. I wouldn’t say the EE Quilt is at any more risk then any of the high end down sleeping bags.

Nate85

FNG
I have a Convert. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion. If you want to use a sleeping bag, it will do that. If you want a quilt, it will do that. If you want a comforter, it will do that too.

slick

WKR
Sea to Summit Comfort Plus and when it’s cold the same pad but insulated. This is with a Rev 0* or a Rev 30*

If you don’t mind could you post some pics and your initial impressions of it once you receive it? I am looking at a 20 degree. The weight is a little more but I should be able to use it into the late season with a stove in my Cimarron.

Sure. I am only 2 weeks into my expected 5-6 of lead time so it could be a while.

My wife has the 20* Convert in long/wide. Build quality is very good and it's warm. It's the Apex insulation and it doesn't really pack down that great but is manageable. I have the VIAM 10* quilt in regular/wide and it packs down smaller.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
flinginairos

Could you post a picture of it in a compressed state with something to compare against? Maybe a Nalgene?

What’s the build quality like on the Viam?

Thanks for all the other suggestions and input. So many choices these days.

flinginairos

Could you post a picture of it in a compressed state with something to compare against? Maybe a Nalgene?

What’s the build quality like on the Viam?

Thanks for all the other suggestions and input. So many choices these days.

I’ll get you some pics tonight! Build on the VIAM is just as good. Love that quilt!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Here is my Convert against my EE Revelation. Both are Long/wides. This should give you an idea of packed size difference. I use the Convert the most as its newer but still use my Revelation from time to time. The Convert is on the right side. Rev Left.

FYI this is in the factory stuff sacks from EE. I can definitely get each of them alot smaller if needed.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Here is my Convert against my EE Revelation. Both are Long/wides. This should give you an idea of packed size difference. I use the Convert the most as its newer but still use my Revelation from time to time. The Convert is on the right side. Rev Left.

FYI this is in the factory stuff sacks from EE. I can definitely get each of them alot smaller if needed.

Are both of these down? I was looking into getting one in apex but it seems like people don’t find it to be as compressible as they would like.

Owenst7

WKR
Anyone running a EE Convert? On the fence about them. Want to try a quilt and feel like this could be a great option. Also what’s your build like and what size do you use? I’m 6’2 210 with an athletic build if anyone wants to help me decide on a size.

Thanks

I just built one for a guy with almost your exact measurements. My cut length was 58"x90" because the one I use was a bit short on him. Mine is 58"x84", and I'm 5'10" 165 lbs.

I don't really see the point in shorting yourself a few inches on a quilt. You're already saving a bunch of weight, a few ounces so you can seal out drafts better seems like an insignificant trade-off.