Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT and stove question

topher89

WKR
Has anyone modified their Mountain Shelter LT and added a stove jack?

I have been thinking about picking up a Kifaru Small Stove for my tent. I would love to see any pictures that people have of their tents with a stove to help me get some ideas of where to place mine

Thanks!

weaver

WKR
I bought mine with the jack installed. I like it in this location.
utugesar.jpg
agegapa4.jpg

TJB

FNG
Weaver, can you please tell me how long of pipe you are running on that setup?

weaver

WKR
Pipe is 48". Didn't realize that the top of the pipe is out of the picture.

weaver

WKR
Every time you post a picture of that I kick myself for selling it! I want to buy it back!!!

Haha nice try! I did sell the stove...looking for something a little bigger and lighter. Love the shelter though. Believe I also bought my gun- bearer from you. Love that thing as well.

edg1967

WKR
Haha nice try! I did sell the stove...looking for something a little bigger and lighter. Love the shelter though. Believe I also bought my gun- bearer from you. Love that thing as well.

I just got a BCS that I want to give a try, but will probably try to order another one of these. For the money they can't be beat. I'd like to find a 16" TI goat for the BCS & have 12" stock in case I get another Mountainsmith.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Thanks for the pics!

Do you feel like you could have two people in the tent and the stove? It seems like the stove might limit one side of the tent

weaver

WKR
I shared it with a buddy last rifle season in Idaho. NEVER AGAIN! To say it was cramped is an understatement. Plus I was drying out clothes for the other 2 guys I was hunting with.
Early season with no stove it would be bearable I would think.
Here's a blurry pic of the chaos we had going on.
eqaga4ep.jpg

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Thanks, my wife and I used the tent as our backpacking tent last summer. It wasn't too bad for the two of us but we also didn't mind being close.

I think with a stove the Mountain Shelter LT is probably best as a solo tent

kad11

WKR
Are there any concerns with the trekking pole melting or getting damaged with it being so close to the stove and pipe?

ScottP

WKR
Are there any concerns with the trekking pole melting or getting damaged with it being so close to the stove and pipe?

I had the same thought, and since I usually use natural materials for poles (i.e. sticks), I had bearpaw wilderness make me a custom aluminum pole. So far, it hasn't gotten hot enough next to the stove to do any damage.

kad11

WKR
Would you guys that have this shelter and stove combo say that it is a good option for a solo heated shelter? With a stove is there enough room to store gear and dry clothes for one guy? From the pictures it looks like it could be difficult to keep sleeping gear a safe distance from the stove.

I apologize for the questions... I'm new to the idea of heated shelters, but really want to be able to do 1 or 2 night hunts during the MT rifle season instead of the normal day hunts I've done the past two years.

ScottP

WKR
Would you guys that have this shelter and stove combo say that it is a good option for a solo heated shelter? With a stove is there enough room to store gear and dry clothes for one guy? From the pictures it looks like it could be difficult to keep sleeping gear a safe distance from the stove.

I apologize for the questions... I'm new to the idea of heated shelters, but really want to be able to do 1 or 2 night hunts during the MT rifle season instead of the normal day hunts I've done the past two years.

Yes, solo shelter. It would be really tight for two+stove, and since it only has one door, you'd be crawling over each other. Its a really nice size for me, the stove, and my gear - and the tarp+stove weighs ~5lbs total. It *may* work for two, but I'm only taking my wife for the second person. It helps if you can also guy out the short end and not use a second pole - that way you can slide down a bit further in the shelter and add a bit of distance between you and the stove.

8Crow

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, solo shelter. It would be really tight for two+stove, and since it only has one door, you'd be crawling over each other. Its a really nice size for me, the stove, and my gear - and the tarp+stove weighs ~5lbs total. It *may* work for two, but I'm only taking my wife for the second person. It helps if you can also guy out the short end and not use a second pole - that way you can slide down a bit further in the shelter and add a bit of distance between you and the stove.

ScottP how tall are you? I just bought one of these and I'm debating whether or not to set it up like Weaver but I'm 6'5" and after setting it up and throwing my sleeping pad in there I'm a little concerned about how close my sleeping gear would be to the stove, as kad11 asked.

ScottP

WKR
ScottP how tall are you? I just bought one of these and I'm debating whether or not to set it up like Weaver but I'm 6'5" and after setting it up and throwing my sleeping pad in there I'm a little concerned about how close my sleeping gear would be to the stove, as kad11 asked.

I'm 5'11". You could play around a bit with stove jack location and gain a couple of inches, so the stove would be located a bit towards the main vestibule (from the front pole) than in the photos above. Obviously, this would decrease how well the stove heats the shelter, since more pipe would be outside. Also, you could set your shelter so that you don't use the rear pole and get a bit of diagonal going with your pad+bag and create more space around that stove.

Since you have the shelter, set it up as I've described and throw a shoe box in there and pretend its a stove and see if you can get a comfortable setup before you punch a hole in your tarp. Also, keep in mind these tiny stoves only burn hot for <30min (at least mine does) when not continuously fed, so unless you are staying up all night feeding the stove, it won't be raging hot while you sleep. My thought was that I would be awake while stove is raging and use it for drying gear and warming up in the AM, boiling water, etc. - and would be cautious not to burn up my gear :) Hope that helps some.

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am new to backcountry hunting. I've always just day hunted. Anyways I'm looking at getting a mountain shelter lt and like the idea of getting a stove too. Since I'm new though I don't know how you go about installing a stove jack?