Enlightened Equipment 0 Degree Revelation Quilt

hiway_99

FNG
I have 2 pads, not sure which i like more, i have the thermarest xtherm and the exped downmat ul7.
Is the exped Downmat ul7 as noise as the xtherm? I have the xtherm and it drove me nuts last year. It was plenty warm just noisy when you moved on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The problem I have with needing long and wide quilts is that the weight starts adding up and closing the gap on a bag. If they are close in weight then why mess with the hassle of quilt...just climb in a bag and your done.

Not really. An EE 0 degree Revelation in extra wide, extra long is 2 pounds. There aren’t a whole lot of 2lb, 0 degree sleeping bags....

In any case, quilts aren’t about weight- at least that shouldn’t be the focus. They’re about comfort. A properly sized and stuffed quilt is significantly more comfortable than a comparable sleeping bag. For 2lbs I get a quilt that as comfortable as the quilt on my bed at home.....

PNWGATOR

WKR
I just received my 0F xlong/xwide and can’t wait to use it. Stomach/side sleeper and in general, sleep like sh!t. Confident this is the answer to backcountry restfulness

Not really. An EE 0 degree Revelation in extra wide, extra long is 2 pounds. There aren’t a whole lot of 2lb, 0 degree sleeping bags....

In any case, quilts aren’t about weight- at least that shouldn’t be the focus. They’re about comfort. A properly sized and stuffed quilt is significantly more comfortable than a comparable sleeping bag. For 2lbs I get a quilt that as comfortable as the quilt on my bed at home.....

I can't say for sure because the enigma I owned was only a standard wide but I am very skeptical that an extra 6" of width would have eliminated the draft problems I had. In cold weather at 2 lbs I would take my chances with a WM alpinlite (20 degree) over a huge quilt. But I've never had issues with mummy bags. Maybe some day I'll give your theory a try. I think a bivy would help too.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I just purchased a new Enigma 0* to try out. I got a WIDE... didn't see the option for X-WIDE? Did I miss that? Or are you all referring to the WIDE?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I can't say for sure because the enigma I owned was only a standard wide but I am very skeptical that an extra 6" of width would have eliminated the draft problems I had. In cold weather at 2 lbs I would take my chances with a WM alpinlite (20 degree) over a huge quilt. But I've never had issues with mummy bags. Maybe some day I'll give your theory a try. I think a bivy would help too.

I dont think everyone will prefer quilts- I do think most would. And I don’t k ow that a wide would haves due a difference, however I wouldn’t use a quilt in cold weather if it was regular width and length. At long and wide... yes.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
I just purchased a new Enigma 0* to try out. I got a WIDE... didn't see the option for X-WIDE? Did I miss that? Or are you all referring to the WIDE?

I'm awaiting my 0* Enigma as well.

What sleeping pad are you running? I have the neo air x therm, and will be testing both together in the mountains once the quilt arrives.

n2horns

WKR
Exped is much quieter than the xtherm, I snore and sleep hard, and don't hear the crinkling, but do hear it while rolling around. It is an odd sound that you would not expect to hear in the woods/nature. Xtherm is 7 oz lighter, that is why I started to try it out.

EE has options when ordering on their site to order long, xlong and wide and xwide. I get the 950 fill option now on all go forward quilts. Using a quilt and getting the straps right and tight takes a little practice. It isn't hard, it is just about getting the right fitment.

I need to order the new EE bivy sack too. I have been debating buying the Borah Gear bivy or the EE one.

ianpadron

WKR
The problem I have with needing long and wide quilts is that the weight starts adding up and closing the gap on a bag. If they are close in weight then why mess with the hassle of quilt...just climb in a bag and your done.
A zero-degree long / wide quilt from EE weighs just under 32 oz... There is not a bag in the world even close to that

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR

Did not see this reply before I posted mine, but agree with every single word. I absolutely love my quilt and sure am glad that I got the long and wide version

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm curious about how you guys configure your extra wide quilts that makes them as warm as a bag.

A good bag sinches around your head and face and basically just leaves your nose exposed. There is also a lot to be said about draft tube design for keeping the heat in. Unless you are laying on top of your quilt for the entire length of your body and avoid tossing and turning, I don't see how you avoid allowing heat to escape from some of those seams the whole length of a quilt and around your neck (assuming you're wearing a hood).

I'm much warmer in my 2 lb 20 degree alpinlite than I was in a 0 degree wide EE enigma and have a hard time seeing how going extra wide would make a big difference.

Rokwiia

WKR
Is the exped Downmat ul7 as noise as the xtherm? I have the xtherm and it drove me nuts last year. It was plenty warm just noisy when you moved on it. Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have never used the Xtherm so I can't compare it to that. I have the DownMat 9 and SynMat 9 and neither are noisy at all.

dog812

WKR
I don't know if this helps with your decision.
, but I used my bag as a quilt all season. I unzip it all the way. Slip the zippered foot part over the bottom of my pad with the zipper down each side...so it's only over the top of me. It Works.
Might be a good way to test a "quilt" before buying one. See if the drafts are a deal breaker.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider

EE has an option for an X-Wide. I believe it’s 64” wide where as the wide is 58”. I went with the X-Wide and I’m glad I did. Then again I’m a big guy at 6’2” 270.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
I sleep into the single digits with my 20 deg revelation. It is lighter than any sleeping bag setup and far more comfortable for a stomach/side sleeper in my opinion. There are 3 keys to making this work:
1) wear a puffy hood if it is below 20-25 degrees. A fleece hat is not enough warmth and does not have the coverage of the hood. EE makes a good hood with the arm straps.
2) you need at least a wide quilt for winter camping...extra wide if you are a bigger guy. This also gives you the room to add clothing layers if needed.
3) have a good pad system. An Xtherm and 3/4 length thin gossamer gear foam sitting/sleeping pad does the trick for me.

MacAttack

FNG
I sleep into the single digits with my 20 deg revelation. It is lighter than any sleeping bag setup and far more comfortable for a stomach/side sleeper in my opinion. There are 3 keys to making this work:
1) wear a puffy hood if it is below 20-25 degrees. A fleece hat is not enough warmth and does not have the coverage of the hood. EE makes a good hood with the arm straps.
2) you need at least a wide quilt for winter camping...extra wide if you are a bigger guy. This also gives you the room to add clothing layers if needed.
3) have a good pad system. An Xtherm and 3/4 length thin gossamer gear foam sitting/sleeping pad does the trick for me.

Are you basing #2 off experience? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a reg/reg 20 deg, thought about a wide, but according to their sizing charts, I am a regular on width (48").

BRWNBR

WKR
I’m 5’8”, 200lbs of pure, uh, muscle. I have a regular Ee revelation in 0 degree. Warmer than any bag rated to 0 I’ve ever slept in more comfortable too. I find my feet stay warmer in the quilt than they were in my bag as well. Never had a draft issue. Only thing I don’t like is how the quilt reaches around my pad, so if there’s water on the floor your quilt will get into it. But that’s never ruined any trip for me, just a mental thing.
Never tried my quilt in my busy bag. Curious to see how that would go. My quilt breathes like crazy. Even had ice laying on the outside before.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are you basing #2 off experience? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a reg/reg 20 deg, thought about a wide, but according to their sizing charts, I am a regular on width (48").

I’ve had a couple dozen dudes in the last few years using quilts down to single digits. The #1 complaint is “should’ve went with a wide/long”, after they ignore my suggestion to go as wide and long as possible. Number one compliant.....

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Who else has a 0* EE Rev. that has slept down below 0? Thinking of pulling the trigger but I sleep cold and hunt November in Northern BC. Go heavier or what? I have an xtherm and CCF pad and lightweight bivy.