Western Mountaineering Terralite

MattB

WKR
WM is quality, one of those purchases I would almost call an "investment".

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at a WM bag for late season AZ elk but I’d like it to be a good for all late season trips in the Midwest and Rockies. Guide is recommending 0 to -35 bag for the trip. I’ve read WM ratings are a little overkill anyone got a good recommendation to get one bag and be done with it? GWS series worth it to run with a tarp on later trips? I’m 5’5” so thinking a 5’6” bag will be perfect and lighter. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
The overstuffing would be a good idea. After using the bag for around 2 years I was a tad excessive in thinking it would be good to 0F. Slept one night on a moose hunt at 10F and definitely got a bit cold at 2:00AM. Was sleeping with just a base layer. Put on a sweater and socks and was good to go. Still a great bag. Bring some insulation with you when it gets below 20F.

Wonder if you could still send in your bag and have them add some down

I'm not sure if WM would do it, but I'm almost 100% sure Rainy Pass would do that. RP does gear repairs, sewing, alterations, cleaning etc and they definitely work on high end down insulated bags.

Looking at a WM bag for late season AZ elk but I’d like it to be a good for all late season trips in the Midwest and Rockies. Guide is recommending 0 to -35 bag for the trip. I’ve read WM ratings are a little overkill anyone got a good recommendation to get one bag and be done with it? GWS series worth it to run with a tarp on later trips? I’m 5’5” so thinking a 5’6” bag will be perfect and lighter. TIA

First, if you buy a WM bag designed to handle 0 to -35F temps for AZ, I'm wondering how you'll ever tolerate it on a 35 degree night. That's a huge amount of loft and insulation...more than almost anyone can routinely use. Such a bag would be more of a polar expedition bag.

I have a Sequoia GWS and had some overfill added when it was built. I haven't benefited from the extra down after 7 years of use in Alaska. Some nights I'm too warm...say night is only down to 40F. The coldest night I've been in it was 7F and I was sleeping in thin merino base layers. I bought the GWS for added water repellency and the possibility I might have to bivy out for some reason. I'm not sure I'd do it again, though I love my bag as it is. The GWS has a more durable feel and it definitely repels stains or spills. Yeah...I think I would buy it again.

Edit this to add I sleep on a DownMat 9LW pad and a TR cot. The extra down beneath my body definitely makes a huge difference on cold nights and definitely accords me better comfort.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm not sure if WM would do it, but I'm almost 100% sure Rainy Pass would do that. RP does gear repairs, sewing, alterations, cleaning etc and they definitely work on high end down insulated bags.
WM will do it as well. I know a couple of guys who've sent theirs in for a little more fill in the footbox of their bags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I received my terra lite,
1st impressions are very good. Very lite weight, perfect sizing, I really like the one in tape what is inside the zippers to keep from snagging. I have not taking this out camping yet, but I do plan on doing that soon. I did get the over stuff on this bag

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Honestly I think I'd be looking at a 5-15° bag and then a 25-30° bag or quilt. A bag is definitely better at sealing drafts during cold, quilts are lighter for warmer trips. Put the quilt over the bag and you can likely take it to -20ish depending on head and bottom insulation.

Regarding GWS, this is from their site:

"Gore Windstopper is for situations in which you will encounter high moisture or precipitation. These bags are not water proof, but will hold up to any condensation and even light precipitation. Their less breathable shell means they are not ideal for warm nights."

The specs on their three fabrics:

Extremelite
Denier: 12
Weight: 0.74 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 1200 mm

Microfiber XP
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.35 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 2000 mm

Gore WindStopper (bags)
Denier: 20
Weight: 1.7 oz/y^2
Hydrostatic head: 12000 mm (yup 3 zero’s)

HH of 12K on the GWS is very, very water resistant. It also means it won't breathe very well.

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Ok...three years later! I have used my Terralite from summer up high and in fall down on river systems moose hunting from +60F to 20F. I have also used it in the winter all here in the Yukon. It is very comfortable. I was cold once when I tried to sleep without wearing my blood spattered clothing at 20F. Had to put my cleanest fleece on and then I was good. Quality is impeccable. My kids named it the poofasaurus when they where a bit younger as it expands like crazy when taken out of the ridiculously small stuff sack. I have loved this bag, and would buy another if it got lost or stolen..... great gear!

45-65F I used it like a quilt/blanket. Nice and wide for cuddling someone worth cuddling with!
Below 45 it gets used as a sleeping bag
Below 25 I start adding extra insulation pieces or get the heating device going. With a puffy jacket and wool pants I can go down to 0F, with moderate comfort and some occasional shivering. Adequate room inside for added insulation
Below 0, it makes a good 2 bag system with a slightly narrower inner bag.

I am near 60 and get colder than I used to. In my 20's this bag would have been good to 0. Of course at 20 this bag would have been too wide for my 180 pound frame.

Last edited: