Western Mountaineering Terralite

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Just came today. This wide mummy is ridiculously well made. The wide tape facing the zippers make it pretty much snag proof. Easy to get into (even for us fatties). Lofty! Wide enough to slide sleep with bending the knees and not compressing the down. Rated to 25F but I bet I'll be able to take it down to 0. Unzips to make a quilt big enough for two. Two people to 25F for 2 pounds. Best of all MEC here in Canada will still bring these into the country at a price that is equivalent to 85% of American retail. It will also fit inside my MEC Raven Wide for enough loft to -40 at about 5 pounds total.

Took it on the deck for a bit here in Whitehorse at -5F and stayed cozy until I got bored and scared the neighbors would think I am crazy. Well maybe crazier.

Very versatile gear with impeccable build quality. 850+ down is remarkable stuff. Can't believe how small this thing packs.

I love it.

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, mate. This quality of down (850+) is a completely new experience for me. The bag also comes with both a great little stuff sack and a nice big green storage bag. Everything very well made. Made in the USA really means something with this bag. I don't want to get too sappy but, when I grew up (in Saskatchewan) all of my dad's farm equipment and machinery was made in North America. Some very close by, even little Saskatoon had some manufacturing. The company's put their hopes, talents, pride and often family name on the product. When I look at the detailing on this bag I get nostalgic for that time. I have had a Western Mountaineering mighty-lite since the early 90's but the quality of this bag is even higher. Can't say that too often anymore. No links to the company...I am just absolutely impressed.

boom

WKR
I run cold so I opted for the alpinlite. I haven't snagged the zipper yet. So I know what you mean by that thick stiff zipper border.

The storage sack is better than it needs to be by a long shot. Haha.

Those things are made near me. I've often wondered if they sell defects.

AXEL

WKR
WM is one of the 3-4 top makers of down bags and, having owned/used Integral Designs (original), Valandre, Marmot Mtn. Works (original) and Feathered Friends as well as the AlpineLite, I bought in 2008, I am going to buy a TerraLite this coming spring.

I doubt that a "better" bag can be or is made anywhere and the zipper IS FAR beyond ANY others I have ever used.

WM is one of the 3-4 top makers of down bags and, having owned/used Integral Designs (original), Valandre, Marmot Mtn. Works (original) and Feathered Friends as well as the AlpineLite, I bought in 2008, I am going to buy a TerraLite this coming spring.

I doubt that a "better" bag can be or is made anywhere and the zipper IS FAR beyond ANY others I have ever used.
Is that you D. R.? ;)

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
North,
I was just wondering if you've thrown your bag on the scale to see the actual weight. Unfortunately, these companies rarely give accurate specs. Thanks. It's always disappointing to get a new piece of "ultralight" gear, only to find out you're a couple ounces over spec. Oh well, that's the life of a nerd.

OP
N

North61

Lil-Rokslider
North,
I was just wondering if you've thrown your bag on the scale to see the actual weight. Unfortunately, these companies rarely give accurate specs. Thanks. It's always disappointing to get a new piece of "ultralight" gear, only to find out you're a couple ounces over spec. Oh well, that's the life of a nerd.

I weighed it yesterday. 2pounds2oz in the stuff sack for the long version. Not too shabby.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Congratulations ! The terralite is my next bag. My Kodiak is too much bag for most of what I'll see.

Didn't you freeze your buns off in MT a couple years ago with a bag that wasn't warm enough ;)

I would rather overbag than under everytime. Down is light to haul and the difference in a half pound is so minute that its hard to justify owning 2 different bags giving the pricing. Could take $300-$400 for an extra bag and shave weight somewhere else and just unzip when warm.

Shrek

WKR
Yes Luke , I had a miserable time with a cheap Chinese bag season before last and over compensated this past year. I had the Kodiak unzipped pretty much the whole time. I toss around a lot so I kept getting cold spots were it was open and I moved the bag off me. I don't plan on getting rid of the Kodiak but a Terrralite whould be all I need for most trips and allow me to zip it closed more often. I now know that the Western Mountaineering ratings are solid so I feel I can confidently use a bag rated closer to the actual expected temperature. I hope to add Idaho this year along with Montana so I would be starting three weeks earlier too.

AXEL

WKR
C&B, yup, it is me, my childhood nickname is my handle here and this seems like a fine forum and great group of serious hunters/folks. I hope to enjoy it for a long time to come. I have been badly crippled by the age-aggravated injury I sustained as a youth in 1960 and am working on conditioning and cutting weight for, hopefully, several seasons to come.

I also tend to use a bag(s) that are a tad warmer than indicated as BC weather is so variable as our seasons progress, but, I am very enthusiastic about the Terralite and it is much like my first good down bag bought in 1968 and used until 1974....I prefer wider bags and this one will be perfect for my needs.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and 2015 is a wonderful season for all of us!

C&B, yup, it is me, my childhood nickname is my handle here and this seems like a fine forum and great group of serious hunters/folks. I hope to enjoy it for a long time to come. I have been badly crippled by the age-aggravated injury I sustained as a youth in 1960 and am working on conditioning and cutting weight for, hopefully, several seasons to come.

I also tend to use a bag(s) that are a tad warmer than indicated as BC weather is so variable as our seasons progress, but, I am very enthusiastic about the Terralite and it is much like my first good down bag bought in 1968 and used until 1974....I prefer wider bags and this one will be perfect for my needs.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and 2015 is a wonderful season for all of us!
Nice to see you here sir. Age is aggravating lots of stuff for me too! Darned aggravating!

1hoda

Banned
Congrats! I run the WM Bristlecone. Warm, wide, well made. Couldn't be happier.

Lawnboi

WKR
Bringin up an old post but anyways just wondering how you have been liking the terralite? I'll be pulling the trigger on a terra, ultra or megalite coming up soon.

Lawnboi

WKR
What did you decide

I ended up with a WM megalite that I got used off here. Awsome bag that is comfy down to the upper 20's for me. Won't be my last WM, thinking of adding a badger, Apache or versalite for colder weather, I had one hunt last year that I had to hump the wiggys in.

I still would like to try the terralite.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv also been considering sending the megalite in for overfill. The cut of the bag is unbelievably comfy. It packs tiny, and is a pleasure to carry when temps are not too bad.

Also gives me enough room on the inside to layer puffy gear and still have some loft.

I'd be curious to see how low I can comfortably go with kelvin light hoody and pants on.

I went with a terra light with 3oz of overfill...the overfill should take it from a 25 degree to ~20 degree bag. I have tested it down to 23 degrees and was more than comfortable. The Terra is nice to be able to unzip and use as a blanket and without the neck/shoulder baffles you can vent pretty well too when its a little too warm. It's also super roomy, but I don't feel like its too big where there is a lot of void space to heat up.

I bought a TerraLite back in 2015 and used it on a caribou hunt. For its weight it's a heck of a bag. Plenty of room. Warm but not excessive...very good 3 season bag. Fabric is very silky and light. I was impressed then and remain so today. I also own WM Sequoia GWS with a bit of overfill and that's my bag for cold hunts. Those 2 bags do it all for me.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Ordered my terralight today with over stuff, can't wait to get it and use it through out the year. Never really cared for mummy bags as I am a roller and kick up a knee some times. Did a bunch of looki ng and the size and weight should be nice for packing. Are you guys using the factory stuff bag or after market?