TI Goat Bivy

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have any pics of the TI Goat Bivy? I would like to see some better pictures of there bivy bags then the ones on there website. Also any opinions you might have on bivy bags. I just ordered a Luna 6 and now looking at some bivy bags for me and my son. Thanks

ndboy

FNG
subscribed, would also like to to know if a TI Goat omni raven would be big enough for a 6 2 200 lb guy with a large 0 degree down bag (BA insulated air core pad) or should i go with a Borah gear bivy in wide and tall.

450 have you checked out the borah gear bivy's?

Tigoat Kestrel bivy. This is with a large Xtherm and EE 10 degree quilt inside. At 6'2" and 200 it may be a little tight on you. I'm 5'8" 160 and I have plenty of room. I'm pretty much sold on using a breathable bivy under a floorless shelter. I'm currently in the process of outfitting my 12 year old son for an upcoming goat hunt this fall and just recently purchased a Xlite pad, down quilt, and breathable bivy for him.

Attachments

• bivy2.jpg
    bivy2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 262
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 253
  • bivy.jpg
    bivy.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
OP

Lil-Rokslider
AK Troutbum, that is a pretty nice setup you have. How long have you had the Tigoat Kestrel bivy? I defiantly like the weight of that bivy verses my OR bivy.

ndboy, I have looked at the borah gear bivy's but like the TI Goat bivy better.

AK Troutbum, that is a pretty nice setup you have. How long have you had the Tigoat Kestrel bivy? I defiantly like the weight of that bivy verses my OR bivy.

A little over a year or so. I purchased it when they first came out. Like I said though, I think that if your a bigger guy and are using a colder weather bag, you might have a problem with it not being roomy enough. I have had no problems what so ever with mine and, I wouldn't think twice about making the same purchase again.

Last edited:

7mag.

WKR
I have a long/wide Borah bivy that I use with a long/wide Exped Downmat UL 7 and a 10° Revelation quilt. I am 6'1, 215. There is more than enough room for me.

PMcGee

WKR
subscribed, would also like to to know if a TI Goat omni raven would be big enough for a 6 2 200 lb guy with a large 0 degree down bag (BA insulated air core pad) or should i go with a Borah gear bivy in wide and tall.

It's definitely big enough. I'm only 5'9" but I have plenty of room in mine.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5' 10 215 lbs and my son is a little bigger so I may need to look at the Borah bivys a little closer. Does the mesh over your head let a lot of heat out? Then again I guess less condensation inside the bivy with the mess and you don't feel like you are in prison.

charvey9

WKR
I got a Kestrel Bivy this spring, and so far only a few nights in it but no problems. Breathes well. I'm about 5'10" 175 and plenty of room for me, my bag, and pad.

you are good to go. I run a BA 15 deg bag and air core in my omni raven. I am 6'2'' and as of this morning.. 229 pounds.

Joe

bbrown

WKR
No pictures but have used all 3....

I had the ptarmigan first and it fit the purpose very well being used in in my pyramid tent (Oware 9x9) to keep my sleeping system together and keep the bugs away. My only complaint was the lack of a side zip made it a pain to get into and out of. So I sold it and picked up the kestrel which was much easier to get into and out of. One complaint I had with both the ptarmigan and kestrel was the body was almost too wide for a 20" pad so I ended up rolling off the pad and sleeping next to it but the foot box was too narrow to upgrade to a wider pad without compressing the insulation around my feet.

Finally decided I had enough of sleeping on a narrow ass pads so I sold the kestrel and grabbed the Raven (along with a large Xtherm) which is the best of the 3 for me. Full hip to hip zipper with sewn in bug mesh and fits the large Xtherm and I stay on the pad without compressing my bag at the foot.

Rarely do I zip the bivy up completely but I always sprung for the sewn in mesh option on the ptarmigan and raven because some of those summer scouting trips it was nice to have when the bugs were out in force. Compared to the bug window in the kestrel I think having the mesh only option along with being able to be completely enclosed like on the Ptarmigan or Raven. The window on the kestrel ended up below my nose when I would end up breathing on the material and have some condensation building up. It was never a huge deal but more of a PITA.

For reference I am 5'10", 185 and use either a EE long wide prodigy quilt or a Marmot Pinnacle bag.

Ironman8

WKR
Question for you bivy guys who also use a quilt......wouldn't the bivy keeping your quilt contained on/around you negate the "venting" aspect that quilts bring to the table?

bbrown

WKR
Not really I usually pull the quilt down and or stick a leg out to regulate. At the same point it does seem to help cut down on the drafts in the cooler temps.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guys with floorless tents use anything else other then a bivy bag or do you just use the bivy on top of the bare ground in the floorless tent? Just trying to figure out what all I need for my new floorless tent I have coming and yes I'm new to the floorless tent thing. Thanks

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys with floorless tents use anything else other then a bivy bag or do you just use the bivy on top of the bare ground in the floorless tent? Just trying to figure out what all I need for my new floorless tent I have coming and yes I'm new to the floorless tent thing. Thanks

I don't use anything other than my Raven bivy in my floor less shelters. I just use it to keep my quilt and myself on my pad. And keep them both clean.

To the question above about regulating heat. These type of bivy sacks don't really block much wind, so you still get plenty of air flow and venting.

duchntr

WKR

Depends really, sometimes I use a piece of tyvek and sometimes not. Also check out borahgear for bivies too

I don't use anything other than my Raven bivy in my floor less shelters. I just use it to keep my quilt and myself on my pad. And keep them both clean.

To the question above about regulating heat. These type of bivy sacks don't really block much wind, so you still get plenty of air flow and venting.

What he said.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I agree with Justin! If going with my wife then we use a 2 person nest inside our floorless shelter (most of the time). If going with buddy's then I want a bit more space than that so I go with a couple TI goat bivies and thats it. Seems to work well. Though I have gone quite a few times with no bivy or nest at all. But that was pretty late season and bugs were nil as well.

OP

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everybody for the help and info. I'm going to get this floorless tent thing figured out sooner or later. I never really thought about how much difference there would be between floor and floorless. It sure is a good thing I have a good/understanding wife!!!