Shelter options

rhendrix

WKR
I'm trying to narrow down some shelter options for a late September archery elk hunt in colorado with my bow. I can't decide if I want to run an UL setup and have to worry about the elements or run a heavier setup that I know will handle the elements better. I'm only listing my bivy and tarp selections, my bag and pad is the same throughout. My elevation should be anywhere from 8k-11k feet. Anyways, here's my four options:

Option 1
Shelter - bearpawwd canopy 2
Bivy - borah bivy

Total: 1 lb, 8 ounces

Option 2
Shelter - mountainsmith mountain shelter lt
Bivy - borah bivy

Total: 2 lbs, 6 ounces

Option 3
Shelter - bearpawwd canopy 2
Bivy - ID bugaboo bivy

Total: 2 lbs, 11 ounces

Option 4
Shelter - mountainsmith mountain shelter lt
Bivy - ID bugaboo bivy

Total: 3 lbs, 9 ounces

So out of the setups listed above, which one is the most versatile, considering the fact that I could be dealing with snow or rain?

Thanks for the input!
Ron

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
The bivy is added protection from the elements. Nothing sucks more than going floorless and getting moisture on your quilt from rain or snow.

Baby Huey

FNG
Ron, I think you would be fine with the Borah bivy and my choice would be the Mountainsmith LT.

Either shelter should keep the rain and snow out, but I lean towards the Mountainsmith, even though it is heavier, since it has a bit more headroom at the front entrance, so it is easier to get in and out of the shelter.

I suggest the borah bivy since I don't think you would need the ID Bugaboo bivy. Since both shelters should keep the rain and snow out, you shouldn't need the event fabric - and it will give you a lighter system. I also am looking for a lightweight bivy with a bug net and the Borah looks like a good choice. Last year I just used a cheapo SOL escape bivy and it was too constricting for my bag and didn't breathe.

I used the Mountainsmith last year on a couple of deer scouting trips, as well as the first rifle season in Colorado. I had John at Bear Paw install the stovejack in the photos below. I am running a Titanium Goat small WiFi stove. I didn't have any problems with the shelter and it performed well in the snow. I haven't had it in the rain, but I expect it will perform well having gone through the snow storm with flying colors.

Here are a couple of pics:

Whisky

WKR
The bivy is added protection from the elements. Nothing sucks more than going floorless and getting moisture on your quilt from rain or snow.

I would rather have a shelter more capable of protecting me then have to rely on a bivy and half ass shelter, in the end the weight would be the same. And probably price too. I have a Borah bivy I've used only on one hunt. I learned the hard way that pitch location is far more important. That said, with your options I think just the Mountainsmit LT would suffice. Don't waste your money on bivy's unless like somebody else mentioned, bugs are an issue.

When bugs are an issue for me, I pack the Scarp 1.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
I would rather have a shelter more capable of protecting me then have to rely on a bivy and half ass shelter, in the end the weight would be the same. And probably price too. I have a Borah bivy I've used only on one hunt. I learned the hard way that pitch location is far more important. That said, with your options I think just the Mountainsmit LT would suffice. Don't waste your money on bivy's unless like somebody else mentioned, bugs are an issue.

When bugs are an issue for me, I pack the Scarp 1.

If I run the mountain shelter, the bivy is just in lieu of a ground sheet, I'm kinda paranoid about getting my down quilt wet. Not sure if it's overkill, but at 6 ounces it can't hurt anything, right?

Baby Huey, I actually think the mountain shelter and borah bivy are my preferred setup right now. The UL setup will have me freezing my nads off, the heavy setup is overkill, and I'm not sold on how bomb proof the canopy 2 will be in snow. Having my tarp collapse on me last year from snow sucked!What made you decide to go with the stove? And how big of a guy are you? My only real complaint about the mountain shelter is that I have to sleep in it diagonally in order to sleep comfortably. I'm 5'11 and 245 though, so that might have something to do with it. ;)

Whisky

WKR
If I run the mountain shelter, the bivy is just in lieu of a ground sheet, I'm kinda paranoid about getting my down quilt wet. Not sure if it's overkill, but at 6 ounces it can't hurt anything, right?)

It's not gonna kill you in weight or room, you're correct. For peace of mind if it makes you feel better, bring it. Ive been there. I said I've used it on one hunt. But I've packed it on more then one hunt.... :)

I've also had damp down bags before, and lived.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A 6oz bivy also keeps your expensive pad and bag/quilt from getting dirty. You get a little more puncture protection for your pad. And the bivy helps me and my quilt stay on my pad.

Baby Huey

FNG
Ron, Were about the same size, I'm 6'0" 240lbs. The Mountainsmith has decent room at the foot and head of the shelter. It is great for one guy, as I was able to sleep on one side, while having room on the other side for my EMRII, clothes and rifle; my pull outs & food were placed at the back of the shelter, and I had room up front for the stove and wood. You won't have a problem sleeping along the long axis of the shelter - you won't have to sleep diagonaly.

I decided to go with the stove when I found out we drew 1st season (early October) rifle tags. If we got snow, I wanted to be able to dry out clothes/boots and be warm until the storms would blow over. It worked out well, as my buddy's boots were soaked and I was able to dry them out for him by the next day - I had to keep feeding the stove, but I don't mind doing that - its nice just to have fire as your company.

I agree with Justin and AK Troutbum on the bivy protection from dirt and added pad protection.

A couple more photos for you to get some idea of size:

Poser

WKR
I, too, have the Mountainsmith with a stove jack and have used it in extended and sustained rains. I don't use a bivy in the shelter and never felt like I really needed one. I use this .3 oz ground tarp: http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-ground-cloth-medium.html

I did make a poor choice for a camp spot one night in San Juans. The terrain was so steep that the only available flats all were well worn bedding spots at the bases of trees for mule deer and elk -shallow "puddles" that were full of turds and musty smelling. It rained pretty good and the bedding "hole" collected some water, but even then, my ground tarp and 3/4th length Thermarest kept me dry. I did upgrade to a full length Neoair this year as I had some problems staying on the 3/4ths length. Still, never thought to myself that I needed a bivy.

Ben

WKR
I just went through the same process as you for looking for a new shelter. I spent months researching, comparing, and deciding what I need and what I'm willing to spend. I decided I want one shelter that could be a do it all from summer backpacking with wife and dog, solo early season hunts, and all the way to late season hunts with a stove. With all that said, I put in my order for an LBO last night. I couldn't be more excited for it arrive and am confident it will fit the bill.

I also use a bivy for puncture protection. I do also take a tyvek sheet to lay down depending on how rocky the area is. It's also nice to have a area in your shelter you can stand, crouch, sit without being fully dressed or have your boots off and not get dirty.

Edit: I normally go with a bivy and jimmy tarp for a 14oz combined weight shelter.

I agree, that's why I got a Tarptent SS2 with bathtub floor/nest. Lighter and tough and spacious. Check em out.

LitenFast

WKR
I ran my mountain shelter lt in 2nd week of September in 2013 through a bunch of rain in CO at that elevation. I didn't have a bivy and we had two guys in that tent, tight, but worked well. It's a great solo shelter and I don't think a bivy is necessary, but I am considering a borah to go with my new quilt and then I'd ditch the tyvek I used under my pad.

jm1607

WKR
Well, you already know my choice!

20150418_151825_resized.jpg

20150418_151816_resized_1.jpg

I don't see any reason to run the Mountainsmith over the Canopy 2 unless you are on an ultra-tight budget. It's pretty strong sil and weighs 8-9oz less. The Canopy 2 is basically just a Kifaru super/mega tarp. If you want the front vestibule like the Mountainsmith you can get it as an option. I personally like the more open canopy design of the Canopy 2 and super/mega tarp with the extended beak in the rear and the normal beak in the front. The Canopy 2 only costs about $40 more than the Mountainsmith. I think most people are running Mountainsmiths because they didn't know about the Canopy 2. Nothing wrong with the Mountainsmith, just think it's kinda heavy..

Instead of a bivy I'd just get a cheap/light ground tarp/cloth...

Last edited:

LitenFast

WKR
Looking at that canopy 2, doesn't look to be nearly as full coverage as the mountain smith. If you set that thing up down close to the ground for poor weather you are going to be a lot shorter than the MS at 54" right? Looks like 46" from his website, and at 6'4" that is one of my favorite things about the MS is the ability to sit up. If you get the permanent front vestibule then the weight is probably a wash and price even higher.

For me the MS is hard to beat for space, weight, and coverage/protection from weather for that price.