Kuiu Mountain Star 2p tent Reviews?

KUIU needs to stop making packs and shelters. They need to stick to clothing and that's it. The only two shelters people should use is Hilleberg or Kifaru.
Yup, only those two. I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would use anything else.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

well i guess its a hilleberg Anjan 2 then. thanks
Slept in mine for the first time last night. It was great and I look forward to using it more.

I honestly looked quite hard at that tent, the kuiu, because there are not many tents that set up with the outer fly first, only a handful, and the kuiu is one of the lightest.

I got the anjan because it was the 2016 model (they upgraded for 2017) from the outlet, so it was 40% off. Too good a deal to pass up and cheaper than the kuiu with that discount.

If I hadnt gotten the anjan, I was going to pull the trigger on kuiu

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Yup, only those two. I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would use anything else.

Man I hope this is sarcasm or you guys are seriously closed minded. There are a TON of good shelter manufacturers out there. No denying that hilleberg and kifaru make great shelters, but so do tarptent, big sky, seek outside, etc. And as for the wind resistance of the Kuiu, curious if guy lines were used. Any dome shelter like that has to be guyed out from the poles in order to stand up to heavy winds.

Man I hope this is sarcasm or you guys are seriously closed minded. There are a TON of good shelter manufacturers out there. No denying that hilleberg and kifaru make great shelters, but so do tarptent, big sky, seek outside, etc. And as for the wind resistance of the Kuiu, curious if guy lines were used. Any dome shelter like that has to be guyed out from the poles in order to stand up to heavy winds.
I think you can probably figure it out.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
I had the first Gen one, which I believe all leaked, and got a new one on warranty.
We had two of these newer gen ones.
My guide was using one this season and had issues with water coming through the floor, then poles collapsed under high wind. I still have a 3 season one and have not broke it yet. been in a little bit of weather but noting bad yet.
We have since replaced the broken one with the 4 season model but yet to test it.

Have seen alot of the MSR hubba hubbas do the same thing under high wind.

Both are a very similar design, light and easy set up. not super durable and will not handle high winds(especially cross winds).

Pros are: very easy set up,good space, ventilation is pretty good. Double vestibules is great as is double doors and great weight.

Cons: thin floor would be easy to rip, does not handle high winds, single zips on doors is a bit annoying on the newer models.

for tents you have cheap,light,strong. you can only choose two.....

All depends on your usage.

Not sure what you're definition of "high wind" is... but I've had mine in what I would guess to be 70+ mph winds. (I know wind is constantly over stated, but I used to live in an area with where measured 60-80 mph winds were fairly common in the winter.... on this trip, I was camped above timberline, and after I left camp that day I literally had to cling to boulders to keep my feet under me.) ... anyways the 2nd gen Kuiu mountain star 2p with carbon poles held up great... As long as you have this shelter properly guyed out, I wouldn't be too concerned.
As for moisture... I did have a slight amount of moisture seep up through the floor once during heavy rain, and I was camped in a slight depression. Other than that, it's been great.... I probably spent roughly 75 nights in this shelter.

It is sarcasm. I do love kifaru and hilleberg but people should get what they want. Hilleberg is probably over kill for most situations. That's a good that the KUIU tent has worked well for so many. The tent of theirs that gives me concern is the summit refuge. Otherwise all is good.

B.S.

FNG
I went through the same debate this year, bought both and ended up keeping the mountain star and am happy with my choice. The pros of a stronger pole design (in my opinion) and the ability to pitch the whole tent at once (I live in the NW, so pitching in the rain is part of the plan) were the deciding factors. Hubba hubba has more room inside, but i wasn't convinced it would hold up to strong winds. I slept a few nights in heavy winds on a ridge top in Nevada this year and the mountain star did great.