Seek Outside LBO or Cimmaron?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are many of you using nests other than the SO? I'm looking at bearpaw and MLD mostly. They seem like they should be a good fit and quite a bit lighter with the bug netting. Does anyone have experience with these or others they like?

There seems to be a lot of solo bug bivy options out there, but for now I'll start with the 2 person nest.

We have used 2 person nests from both bearpaw and mountain laurel designs in our floorless shelters for the last 5+ years, and been very happy with them. Different styles or orientations are handy depending on what shelter you are trying to accomodate.

We are running a bearpaw pyranet 2 with full left zip in our Sawtooth:

Cimmaron with MLD inner nest (I believe it's a duo with a full zip)

The Golite SL5 with older style MLD nest; we used the heck out of this set up before we finally had to retire it after a seam failed on the tent in high winds. The nest is still functional.

colonel00

WKR
Colonel00, no hurry. I will be making a purchase sometime this spring.

I thought you where taller than me. I am 6' 2" and 235 built more like a linebacker.

Kinda forgot about it and of course winter decided to move in a little. I'll still see if I can get weights and some basic dimensions.

Are many of you using nests other than the SO? I'm looking at bearpaw and MLD mostly. They seem like they should be a good fit and quite a bit lighter with the bug netting. Does anyone have experience with these or others they like?

There seems to be a lot of solo bug bivy options out there, but for now I'll start with the 2 person nest.

In my photo earlier in this thread, the nest is a 2 person I think from Bearpaw. It's actually bbrown's so I'm not 100% sure. For the Cimarron, I actually plan to make my own nest(s) to better fit the unique shape of the shelter. A regular rectangle nest works fine but it also leaves a bunch of unused space on the back and sides of the nest. Mostly though, it will come down to the intended usage. For a UL backpacking hunt, I would probably just go with the lightest option which would be a small rectangle 2P nest or just bivies for each person as that would actually be the lightest and provide the most flexibility for arrangement within the shelter. For a more leisurely trip, I want a bigger nest that might weight a bit more but this is more for a camping trip and not a UL hunt. I may also look at making a full or 3/4 nest for the Cimarron.

OP
KH_bowfly

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response and pictures. Do you have a preference between the Bearpaw and the MLD nests? I like the looks of the MLD and how it looks like it would form to the shelters. It looks like the duo vs duo XL is just a difference in height. Do you think the added height would be worth the couple oz?

I'd also be interested in people's opinions of the Seek Outside nests. It looked like they had more of a bug net nest option for a while but I don't see it on their website now. Does anyone know if that's correct and what the weight of the bug net nest is? It seems like that might be the way to go if it's made to fit their shelters, but the Cougar model seems heavy compared to the other brands with bug netting.

Thanks.

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Not to resurrect an old thread, but wondering if there is any standing room for those who are "vertically challenged" such as myself? I'm 5 foot 8 on a good day, and considering getting a LBO in Base-Tarp-Base configuration, having a stove jack installed in the tarp and one of the bases, and running it Base-Base or Base-Tarp-Base depending on if I'm hunting or camping and whether I'm with a hunting partner or the wife and kids or just my son.

Here are my 1000 words...

My girlfriend wanted to use the nest even though it wasn't really necessary. If hunting, I would rotate the sleeping arrangement 90 degrees so each person had their own door. Still plenty of room for two guys and a stove and whatever gear you are bringing with you in a pack.

IMGP5835_zps9ahbzsit.jpg

I totally agree on the entrances. I like to put my bedroll right up against the door so I can sit right down on my pad. Also really easy to unzip the door when you're already laying down. Here's a video I did on the Cimarron: Seek Outside Cimarron and LiteOutdoors Stove (2nd look) - YouTube

OP
KH_bowfly

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update. I ended up getting the LBO Base + Vestibule. I've been using it this year with my wife and solo. I've been very happy with it.

I'm trying to decide what to do for late season camping with my wife. Does anyone have pictures of Base+Base with stove? I'm trying to decide if I should send my base or vestibule back to install a stove jack, buy another base with stove jack, or buy a tarp with stove jack.

ks.snow

FNG
I thought I'd resurrect this thread with an update. I ended up getting the LBO Base + Vestibule. I've been using it this year with my wife and solo. I've been very happy with it.

I'm trying to decide what to do for late season camping with my wife. Does anyone have pictures of Base+Base with stove? I'm trying to decide if I should send my base or vestibule back to install a stove jack, buy another base with stove jack, or buy a tarp with stove jack.

If you were to buy something new i'd suggest a base over a tarp. The tarp seems to be a lot of space that is unsupported. Not sure how well it would fair in high winds.

dog812

WKR
Not to resurrect an old thread, but wondering if there is any standing room for those who are "vertically challenged" such as myself? I'm 5 foot 8 on a good day, and considering getting a LBO in Base-Tarp-Base configuration, having a stove jack installed in the tarp and one of the bases, and running it Base-Base or Base-Tarp-Base depending on if I'm hunting or camping and whether I'm with a hunting partner or the wife and kids or just my son.

I am 5'6 you can see the height in this setup vid I did. Also I have the stove Jack in my base. In hind sight I'd probably put it in the vestibule...but I don't have a stove yet... So we'll see.

Setting up the seek outside lbo, connecting tarp and vestibule. - YouTube

Last edited: