Seek Outside LBO or Cimmaron?

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into new shelter options and have it narrowed down to a Lil' Bug Out or a Cimmaron. I know there are many posts with similar topics, but advice would be appreciated.

I like the size and added height of the Cimmaron, but I'm leaning towards the LBO for its modularity. It will mostly be used solo or with my wife (we're 5'6" and 5'4" and used to free standing 2-man tents so I think they will both feel roomy), but could be used with a buddy occasionally. I like the idea of getting the base-vestibule for now to try out floorless and get another base down the road with a stove jack in it for cold weather or for more space and maybe a base-tarp-base down the road sometime.

I'll likely always be using a nest with my wife, so that's a consideration too. I'd also be interested in hearing which nests people are using in these shelters. I'd like to keep the nest lightweight but big enough to sit up.

Does this sound like the right way to go?

Beastmode

WKR
I would recommend the Cimarron. Used one quite a bit for elk hunting this year and it definitely stood up to some nasty weather. It's perfect size for 2 people and gear. Would be a little snug for 2 people gear and a stove though.

7mag.

WKR
I would recommend the Cimarron. Used one quite a bit for elk hunting this year and it definitely stood up to some nasty weather. It's perfect size for 2 people and gear. Would be a little snug for 2 people gear and a stove though.

I used one with 2 people, gear and a stove on several hunts and scouting trips this year. Plenty of room.

Beastmode

WKR
I used one with 2 people, gear and a stove on several hunts and scouting trips this year. Plenty of room.
Perfect. I like my 8 man for a long stay with 2 people. If I didn't have that option a Cimarron would probably do fine. Since I'm used to the option of the 8 man the extra room sure is nice, especially for a 7+ day stay without moving camp.

Wrongside

WKR
The Cimarron looks great. No experience with it, but a improved SL5 type shelter can only be good.

Lots of experience with the LBO and it's been great. Works well as a very roomy solo shelter (Base+Vestibule) all the way up to a roomy 4 man with gear and stove (Base+Tarp+Base). I've weathered out some fantastic storms in it over the years and have a lot faith in it now.

Do you need the modularity of the LBO? I guess it's slightly lighter too... Otherwise the Cimarron would probably make more sense as a dedicated two-man shelter?

mlob1one

WKR
I've had my lbo for almost one year now and love it. I got mine with the base & 3 pc vestibule initially. Works great for me and another with gear. This summer I got the tarp so I could take two of my teen boys elk hunting. Could not ask for more. Plenty of room for 3 or 4 with gear and light to pack. I've since used just the tarp for me on a 3 day ul trip, lbo +3 pc vestibule, & the lbo, tarp and vestibule. Going floorless has been so worth it. I haven't come across too many bugs & tons of wet weather like I was used to in western OR, but it does hold up when it blows.
No experience with the cimarron.
Good luck.

colonel00

WKR
Here are my 1000 words...

My girlfriend wanted to use the nest even though it wasn't really necessary. If hunting, I would rotate the sleeping arrangement 90 degrees so each person had their own door. Still plenty of room for two guys and a stove and whatever gear you are bringing with you in a pack.

IMGP5835_zps9ahbzsit.jpg

OP
KH_bowfly

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I don't necessarily "need" the modularity, I'm just leaning that way a bit for the versatility.

Does anyone with experience in both have any thoughts on the height difference? I'm 5'6" and my wife is about 5'4".

charvey9

WKR
I like the Cimmarron for 2 person. I spent a week in it solo this year, and was great to have all that room but not neccessary. I'm looking at picking up the LBO for a single person unit. Its about 10oz lighter than the Cimmaron and would be just right for one person, probably a little cramped for 2.

Can't go wrong with either, but if you are looking at just one shelter to do it all I would go with the Cimmarron.

charvey9

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I don't necessarily "need" the modularity, I'm just leaning that way a bit for the versatility.

Does anyone with experience in both have any thoughts on the height difference? I'm 5'6" and my wife is about 5'4".

I'm 5'11" and although I can stand up in the middle Cimmarron it is a Tipi, so with the sloping walls there is not much room to do anything once you are standing up.

ChrisS

WKR
Just an FYI, the holiday email from seek outside said that they are coming out with a newer tent based on the cimmaron that's bigger and best for 4 people with stove & gear.

Vandal 44

WKR
Colonel00, What is the total weight of your set up with the stove and the nest. Your a tale guy can you stand up in that tent or do you have to bend a little. Thanks for the help

dotman

WKR
Colonel00, What is the total weight of your set up with the stove and the nest. Your a tale guy can you stand up in that tent or do you have to bend a little. Thanks for the help

Yeah he's tall in midget terms at 5'2 :).

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, I'll have to round up weights on everything. I'll try to remember to dig the stuff out and get weights.

As shown in the images, with the extra lengths added to the stake loops, I can pitch the Cimarron up well past 72" I think in the center. Pitched like that, I can stand up but I wouldn't say there is a ton of headroom. Mostly it's still stooping but I still prefer to stoop rather than having to crawl in and out like a small freestanding tent. I think we are supposed to have some nice weather this weekend so I'll see if I can get out and throw the tent up to get some measurements. Oh, and I'm only like 5'11" so I don't think I would be considered tall really :)

colonel00

WKR
Just an FYI, the holiday email from seek outside said that they are coming out with a newer tent based on the cimmaron that's bigger and best for 4 people with stove & gear.

Wow, missed this post and that email but the Redcliff sure seems like an interesting offering for sure.

Vandal 44

WKR
Colonel00, no hurry. I will be making a purchase sometime this spring.

I thought you where taller than me. I am 6' 2" and 235 built more like a linebacker.

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Colonel100 how does you're cimmaron material fare with tent stove sparks? My dad has the 12 man Kifaru, overkill for two of us but I noticed some sparks have got to it. I picked up a sl5 before they went out, been debating a stove but the material sure seems like it could get small holes. Not trying to de rail thread just wondering what stove users do for the small spark holes? The cimmaron design does seem better than the sl5. I'm always hunting solo though so it's a palace for 1. I have a feeling this question will have me spending more money either way!

You'll probably get a lot of the same answers.

I got the LBO for exactly the same reasons you are looking at it and I love it. I mostly hunt/camp solo, but on occasion my wife or a buddy comes along. When its my wife I use SO nest and it works great.

I also run a stove if theres a lot of rain in the forecast or if its late season, it gets tight with two and a stove but its doable.... again perfection for solo.

If I were constantly hunting/camping with someone else then I'd go Cimmaron.

colonel00

WKR
Colonel00, no hurry. I will be making a purchase sometime this spring.

I thought you where taller than me. I am 6' 2" and 235 built more like a linebacker.

Nah, I'm more of a short(er), old(er), fat(ter) linebacker :)

Colonel100 how does you're cimmaron material fare with tent stove sparks? My dad has the 12 man Kifaru, overkill for two of us but I noticed some sparks have got to it. I picked up a sl5 before they went out, been debating a stove but the material sure seems like it could get small holes. Not trying to de rail thread just wondering what stove users do for the small spark holes? The cimmaron design does seem better than the sl5. I'm always hunting solo though so it's a palace for 1. I have a feeling this question will have me spending more money either way!

For solo hunting, the SL5 would be fantastic and you would have plenty of room. As far as materials and sparks, I think any of these lightweight tent materials are going to have the same issues with sparks. I don't think I have any holes in the Cimarron yet but I definitely did in my SL5. It wasn't that big of a deal. The holes are usually small and can be patched easily with Tenacious Tape as a more permanent fix and Silnet or something in the field works too. The bigger difference is the SL5 is PU coated nylon which is why they can tape the seams as seam tape (and pretty much everything else but silicone) won't stick to silnylon which I believe the Cimarron is made from.

OP
KH_bowfly

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
Are many of you using nests other than the SO? I'm looking at bearpaw and MLD mostly. They seem like they should be a good fit and quite a bit lighter with the bug netting. Does anyone have experience with these or others they like?

There seems to be a lot of solo bug bivy options out there, but for now I'll start with the 2 person nest.